PDA

View Full Version : most tournements 21 and under why??

vinnie717
08-01-2005, 09:38 AM
My question is if u are good why are you not allowed to play in a tournment and whhy would there be an age limit

thank you
vince

Cane
08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Vinnie, I'm not sure I understand what your asking, but I'm going to give this a shot.

If you're asking why most tournaments don't allow people UNDER 21 to enter, well, in this part of the world, you can't go in an establishment that serves alcohol "regularly" if you're under 21, so that precludes minors from playing in those tournaments. There are, however, many tournaments that allow anyone of ANY age to enter.

If you're finding tournaments in your part of the world there you can't play if you're OVER 21, well, I think those are great! First, it gives Jr's a chance to compete with someone on their own level, so to speak. It prevents the local heros from coming in and steamrolling the tournaments that the kids are allowed to play in.

Matter of fact, I have a friend that's mad at me right now over tournaments. A small town a few miles down the road opened a pool room to give the local kids a place to go. They have 2 tournaments a week, one 9ball one 8ball. The average customer in there is between 14 and 18. My friend, who is 33, and a strong C, weak B player goes in there and plays in those tournaments. He's not that good, but these 14 to 18 year olds can't bring enough game to beat him, so he usually wins the tournaments. Why is he mad at me? Well, because I'm pretty plain spoken and I told him he needed to get out of the sandbox and come play with the big boys. I said that there was no gain or pride in beating up on a bunch of kids. He got a little upset and told me that he couldn't play in the tournaments me and Seabiscuit (my travelling partner) play in because he couldn't win, and I just told him that if he doesn't practice and bring his game up that he never will and that beating on a bunch of 14 year olds was NOT going to bring his game up.

Well, I hope one of my answers answered your question.

Later,
Bob

Kamixel
08-01-2005, 10:59 AM
What is the certification all about? What does it allow you to do? How do you get it? etc. I'm interested in becoming an instructor and was just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Cane
08-01-2005, 11:29 AM
The BCA Instructor Certification process involves going to a BCA Certified Advanced or Master Instructor whose qualified to certify intructors. We have at least 5 on this list who can certify an instructor. RandyG, Bob Jewett, Fran Crimi, Scott Lee and Carl Oswald. There may be more, and if there are, forgive my ovesight.

First, you must become a BCA Recognized Instructor by attending a the classes with someone qualified to certify you, then after 2 years and "X" number of Student Evaluation Forms you can take another class to become a Certified Instructor, then you can become advanced, and eventually, a Master Instructor. This takes years, sometimes even decades of learning, teaching and continuing education. Being an instructor isn't always the best thing for your pool game, but it is satisfying when you have the tools to help someone else with theirs.

Later,
Bob

Kamixel
08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot. How much time are we talking? I have a full time job and a family. What kind of money do instructors make these days?

Cane
08-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Money? LOL, I'm sorry for laughing, but if you're going to do it for the money, then you probably need to look at something else. Teaching pool, at a Recognized or Certified level is not profitable. Now, if you have the tunacity to stay at Recognized for a couple of years, then at Certified for a couple of years, then you can reach Advanced and having that "advanced" in front Instructor, lends more credibility.

Honestly, I teach "paid" sessions for probably 10 hours per month at $25 per hour. Take the printed materials out of that, and there isn't much left over. I teach Jr's clinics for nothing more than enough money to cover the cost of printing the classroom matericals.

Now, years down the road, when I reach that "Master Instructor" level... things will be different. I will set this up as a full time business and I'll have a building built for the school (already have the land, but not going any farther until "Master Instructor" is in sight).

OK, now I've given you the downside. The upside!!! Even if you don't make a lot of money teaching, you get a lot of satisfaction when one of your students wins his first local tournament, or comes to you and says "Man I beat (insert shortstop's name here)'s brains out today." THAT's the kind of thing that makes being a billiards instructor worthwhile.

Well, gotta run. Tournament tonight, and I have about 10 minutes to get out the door!

Later,
Bob

pooltchr
08-02-2005, 05:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> you get a lot of satisfaction when one of your students wins his first local tournament, or comes to you and says "Man I beat (insert shortstop's name here)'s brains out today." THAT's the kind of thing that makes being a billiards instructor worthwhile.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Bob,
This is so true. I remember last year sitting in the bleachers at the US Open. My cell phone rang, and it was one of my students calling from the pool room to tell me he just got his first "break &amp; run" patch in a league match. He was so excited, he had to call me right then and there. It was the high point of the open for me to know that 1. he did it 2. He was truely excited, and 3. he wanted to share it with me.
The benefits of being an instructor are much greater than the monetary rewards.
BTW, have you gotten any paperwork from the BCA on the upgrade? I heard the board met a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't heard from them. Maybe I should call Kathy.
Steve