PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor pool table worth it?

JuddTaylor
08-01-2005, 01:47 PM
The only place I can fit a table in my home is on the back porch which is screened and has a roof.

How do outdoor tables compare to normal ones? I'm not even sure if it's worth putting a table out there, given that I drive 25min to a pool hall just so I can practice with the SAP balls and 860 cloth... but I really need to get more hours in to sharpen my aim.

Thanks,
Judd

SPetty
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
My sister and her boyfriend just bought a beach house. We went down there to visit and see it this weekend. Part of the deal they made when they bought it was that they kept all the outdoor furniture, part of which was an outdoor pool table on the deck over the canal.

I played on it a little while there. It was the funniest thing I've done in a long time. The balls were lumpy, the rails were bounceless and there were at least two big low spots on the table. The balls would roll toward the rail, then make a u-turn without touching the rail and would congregate together in the low spots.

I think you'd be better off buying a cheap slate table. I know they exist. I bought a table for $200 once, and I sold it for the same amount. Cheap, yes, but a lot better to play on than this outdoor table.

theinel
08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I live in Florida and have played on many pool tables that were outside. None of them were made for that purpose and the experience is generally not a good one. The humidity here may be the biggest reason for that so you may have very different result in a different climate. Most of the tables were Valley bar boxes and one was a decent home table (can't remember the brand). They all had cheap cloth, played incredibly slow, and had dead rails, which may have been due to the cloth and not the rails themselves. If you get a specifically designed outdoor table you may get a better experience.

If you are looking to seriously improve your game an outdoor table is probably not the best thing for you but if you have no other options and just want a place to hit balls they are definitely better than not having access to a table.

Fran Crimi
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I tried this table at the BCA trade show this year and it plays exceptionally well. Of course, I was playing on it indoors, but still, it's really a great playing table. The cloth held spin surprisingly well. Not perfect, but definitely very playable. I can't imagine that it would be too terrible under an overhang and if you kept it covered when not in use. I don't know the price but I don't think it's cheap.

outdoor table (http://www.tribilliards.com/amf_keywest.html)

Fran