PDA

View Full Version : Kilroy and Bunny Rogoff, Where are they?

freddythebeard
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Where is Kilroy or Bunny Rogoff?

If anyone has any info on how to contact Bunny Rogoff (I think he went back to Miami) or Kilroy (I think he is still in Detroit) I would appreciate it. I want to drain their brain and see how many "rules of the road" they remember out of the Old-Time-Hustler's Handbook. They are probably the last two curators or the Hustler Archives.
the Beard

demonrho
08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Bunny was living in Las Vegas. I talked to him there last November. If you call Henry (the owner) at the Las Vegas Cue Club, you can probably leave a message for Bunny.

Scott Lee
08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Freddy...I would bet Willie Jopling knows them. Even though he wasn't a hustler, he played most of them, and watched those he didn't play! PM me if you want his phone number.

Scott Lee

08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Be careful what you wish for, Bounce; Pots and Pans will talk your ear off. You can probably catch up with him at Derby City this winter if you don't track him down before then. GF

demonrho
08-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Kilroy had another stroke a couple of weeks ago and this time he didn't make it.

freddythebeard
08-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by stevelomako
Sorry I didn't post this earlier.............Kilroy passed away a few weeks ago.

Roy "Kilroy" Kosmolski knew everybody since the 50s and was a wealth of information and tidbits about all the champions and road players and unknowns.

He didn't get around much the last few years but he would always call me every few weeks and bitch at me about leaving a ring around the bathtub on the yacht.

Its getting more and more important to record the legacy of all the old time players before its too late.

I was very fortunate to be around one of the GREATEST ACTION ROOMS OF ALL TIME (The Rack n Cue in Detroit) and have my ears talked off by tons of champions. Kilroy was the house man for Gil (the owner) for a long time and probably had seen as much as anybody ever had.

Steve,
Do you or anybody else, remember any of Kilroy's old "Rules of the road?" I go all the way back with him to when Kilroy hung out in the old Dinty Moore's poolroom in Downtown Miami in the 60's. He had a great list of "on the road rules," I have forgotten most of them. There were things like, "Always carry a warm blanket in the trunk." and "Carry a 2 ft rubber hose for syphoning gas." and "Carry a rope to lower your luggage out of the Hotel window." There were many more. Do you recall any? And would you (or somebody) share them? I want to print them in my next book.
the Beard

BillPorter
08-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Freddy, I just wanted to welcome you to the discussion board and congratulate you on your book. I just finished it and have to tell you that I wish it had more stories and less on aiming. JMHO. In fact, I'd love to see you do a book that was was all stories from the old-time legends of the game. Maybe a chapter each for players like Ronnie Allen, Eddie Kelley, Eddie Taylor, Buddy Hall, Bugs Rucker, etc. You're a great story teller and I'd love to see you do a book like that.

My only memory of Kilroy goes back to the early 1960's in Dallas, Texas. I was a kid playing pool every night at Cotton Bowling Palace (a 24-hour bowling alley & billiard establishment that was as close to an action-joint as Dallas could offer at that time). Kilroy came to town and started matching up with the local talent, usually getting some weight. After a week or two, he was beating the resident short-stops without the weight. I recall that he was smooth enough that he made no enemies, even among those whose pockets he picked. He liked his cigars and was very good at playing shots off the rail. Anyway, he had become known as the top player around town within 2-3 weeks. Then one night a guy comes into Cotton Bowling Palace wearing a scruffy beard and looking like anythng but a pool player. I think he had his wallet attached to his belt with a little silver chain. The bearded guy says he's looking for a game and wants to play high. Eventually he matches up with Kilroy. All the railbirds can't wait to sidebet with the bearded guy because they just know that Kilroy will eat him for lunch. Guess I don't have to finish this story for you?

Oh, by the way, a couple of older guys who I see around here from time to time date back to the days of the Rack in Detroit. Freddie Hess and Pete Zehnder. I think Pete even worked at the Rack for a short time. They might have some memories/stories for you. Good luck with your next book.

freddythebeard
08-05-2005, 09:27 AM
My only memory of Kilroy goes back to the early 1960's in Dallas, Texas. I was a kid playing pool every night at Cotton Bowling Palace (a 24-hour bowling alley & billiard establishment that was as close to an action-joint as Dallas could offer at that time). Kilroy came to town and started matching up with the local talent, usually getting some weight. After a week or two, he was beating the resident short-stops without the weight. I recall that he was smooth enough that he made no enemies, even among those whose pockets he picked. He liked his cigars and was very good at playing shots off the rail. Anyway, he had become known as the top player around town within 2-3 weeks. Then one night a guy comes into Cotton Bowling Palace wearing a scruffy beard and looking like anythng but a pool player. I think he had his wallet attached to his belt with a little silver chain. The bearded guy says he's looking for a game and wants to play high. Eventually he matches up with Kilroy. All the railbirds can't wait to sidebet with the bearded guy because they just know that Kilroy will eat him for lunch. Guess I don't have to finish this story for you?

Bill, for those who may not know who the other player in the beard was. It wasn't me, it was Bunny Rogoff, just like the theme of this thread, Kilroy and Bunny. They spent a lot of time on the road together. Sometimes Kilroy would pose as the owner of a Tomato Can factory and Bunny would pose as his driver. Kilroy would get into his part so deeply that he refused to sit and eat with Bunny because he was only an "employee." Great characters and great times.
the Beard

BillPorter
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
<font color="blue">Bill, for those who may not know who the other player in the beard was. It wasn't me, it was Bunny Rogoff, just like the theme of this thread, Kilroy and Bunny. They spent a lot of time on the road together. Sometimes Kilroy would pose as the owner of a Tomato Can factory and Bunny would pose as his driver. Kilroy would get into his part so deeply that he refused to sit and eat with Bunny because he was only an "employee." Great characters and great times.</font color>

Freddy, Yep, you are right on target. After ole Pots &amp; Pans took the cheese, he and Kilroy left town. With the Internet making it almost impossible for a top player to remain "unknown" for very long, scams like Kilroy and Bunny pulled off are just about impossible nowadays. And even without the Internet, it doesn't seem like any of the players around these days have the patience to play out a 2-3 week hustle.

Vagabond
08-06-2005, 05:10 AM
Last night I was told by a WPBA Pro from Dtroit that Killroy passed away approximately a year ago.