PDA

View Full Version : Why Ballbreakers sucks...

Thunderduck
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I think the side bets are ruining the show... because they are all based on peer pressure... some guy shouts "I'll bet 500 he doesnt sink a ball on the break". There is all this pressure for someone to accept the bet, if they dont the show falls apart. On a recent show a contestant refused a bet for the first time, and the host looked like a deer caught in headlights! The guy who made the bet immediately reversed and bet on the exact opposite outcome just so the bet would be accepted. In other words, its not a real game show, there is just pressure to make dumb side bets whether you believe in them or not...

Also, there isnt much significance to the early rounds, there is no real strategy, the pool stinks, and the host is a bit silly and unprofessional... Let the Viking be the real host...

I think this show has potential but sucks right now...

Tduck

Rich R.
08-02-2005, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr>On a recent show a contestant refused a bet for the first time, and the host looked like a deer caught in headlights! The guy who made the bet immediately reversed and bet on the exact opposite outcome just so the bet would be accepted.<hr /></blockquote>
That is funny. I've seen guys reverse sides on a bet in real pool rooms, just to get some action. I didn't see anything wrong with it.
The show ain't perfect, none are, but it is entertaining.

stickman
08-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I watched for the first time last night. I honestly enjoyed it. The players weren't professional, but many of us fall into that category. Amatuers enjoy playing all the same, and I like watching them play. I particularly liked the girl's 9ball snap against the favored male player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Even the flub-ups are entertaining to me. The sharking techniques by the MC would likely get the MC a sound thrashing if it was not for the game-show setting. Otherwise, it would be totally inappropriate. Entertaining and unusual. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif JMHO

Pied Piper
08-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Now I have seen the show only two times, but I think it has it's advantages. Pool is my escape from everything else. If I am not sleeping or working, I am at the pool hall. It is nice to start getting some attention. I think networks need to find a way to promote and market the game. Any attention that Pool can get, they should pursue it. The biggest complaint I get from people when I watch pool on TV, is that it is always the same people. I had (wish I still do) direct TV and had over 700 + channels, and would luck out watching some matches on channels other than ESPN. People want variety, pressure, and being able to watch and imagine the stereo typical game. Again look at poker. I think the show is a great idea only because it involves pool. As it catches on, hopefully a revamp of the industry will occur. It's tough watching all my favorite pool halls die and disappear. I am just hoping for that next great re-vival and maybe, just maybe, the entertainment industry will be able to do it again. But here's hoping.

pooltchr
08-03-2005, 05:31 AM
Remember that the show is not really targeting serious pool players. They are trying to reach the casual players and by doing that, creating a larger pool of people who might get out and play more pool. There have been many threads discussing how to make pool bigger and more popular. I think the show is working in that area. The average Joe pool player is going to find this show more entertaining than another Fisher/Corr match on ESPN. Rather than bashing the show, we should be thanking the producers for doing something that many of us have been talking about....reaching more average players and building more interest in the game.
Steve

houseman
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I watch this every week here at my pool room with some of my average talent customers, It great entertainment. my customers love the show and are out on the tables soon as the show is over and I love that. A personal Thanks to the GSN Network and all those involved in the show.

Thunderduck
08-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes its good for pool to have this show... that is why Im bashing it, because it needs to be improved... if they keep the current format with the dumb side bets, silly host, lack of strategy, and annoying game format, the show will sadly be cancelled... I've watched awesome game shows based on golf, where the intensity was amazing, and you hung on every stroke to see what would happen... this show has no intensity... on the recent episode Sal kept bothering the contestants before crucial shots to try and build excitement... they probably realized by show #3 that they needed to do this... but it shouldnt be necessary... ive seen more drama in a pool bar where the players are competing for $100.... some crucial ingredient is missing from this show, of that Im certain...

Scott Lee
08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Remember that the show is not really targeting serious pool players.

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...I can tell you for absolute certain, that Melinda Huang is a VERY serious poolplayer! LOL She plays a lot! I've played her many times, when she was attending UCLA. She has a nice stroke, and when she puts together a better pre-shot routine, she'll jump a speed immediately. I agree with what you said...I just wanted you to know that they DO put in serious players (perhaps not the most highly skilled, but serious nonetheless!).

Scott

sack316
08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I still have mixed feelings on it, but I suppose that I AM watching it every week, so they got me! The host did get on my nerves last week pulling shark moves on the contestants, that would cause some trouble in real life! but I am entertained by it overall, and there was some pretty good players on last episode. The girls shot it up! I do wish that some actualy defense and strategy was allowed, rather than just run run run. Giving up ball in hand for not making a ball in the last round is pretty harsh. I'd like to see the show run longer, doing maybe a race to 3 rather than one game, and allow players to play some D

pooltchr
08-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Scott,
I was talking about the target audience, not the people on the show. I have no doubt the competition is serious. My point is that those of us who regularly spend time on a billiard forum are a small minority...and in many cases...the serious harcore players. We all together couldn't make up enough of a tv audience to support any program. The show needs to reach the recreational players, and I think the format is good for that. I was not intending to make any comment about the players. Just pointing out that the producers would probably be happy if their audience was largely the recreational players...that way, they can hope to get some good numbers.
Steve

Cueless Joey
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Is that the same Melinda who runs the Sunday tournaments at Hard Times now?
She does play a lot. She wants to be a pro.

Scott Lee
08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Steve...I know what you mean. It just seems like the players they have 'picked out' so far, were not even serious players. Melinda appears to be the first. Hopefully there will be more, and that will help draw more people to watch the show!

Scott

Scott Lee
08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Joey...Same girl!

Scott

thepoolnerd
08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
It was kind of funny to see that mouthy, junk-spewing guy named "Ga" or something get smacked down by Edith Bunker.

Thunderduck
08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
let Black Widow host, do away with the side bets, get more serious contestants, you got yourself a hit show baby!!!