PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gilbert Cues - value?

TheFish
06-16-2002, 07:41 PM
I was thinking of buying a gilbert cue from ebay. Well, the auction just ended, anyways, the cue looks to be a beauty, but its a SW style copy. But more importantly, its 700 US. Not a lot for a custom cue, but are Gilbert cues a good deal, or expensive at the price. Essentially I just want to know if 700 US is good for a used andy gilbert custom with ivory joint and butt sleeve (not the entire butt sleeve, like Southwest with the 1 inch or so sleeve right before the butt cap.

TheFish

ted harris
06-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Andy Gilbert makes great cues. The cue you describe would have been a steal at that price.

Chris Cass
06-16-2002, 08:33 PM
Let me tell ya. I saw a beautiful plain jane, no points or frills. $250. with 2 shafts. Now, you tell me where you can get 2 quality shafts for $250.? I own a South West and each shaft is $240. Been thinking about a Gilbert myself. I'm still wondering how they hit?

Saw a nice AE cue in Vegas. He wanted $3000. ivory, ebony and a dash of abalone. It was the nutz and had my name written all over it. I also don't know how they hit either. I think I'm going back to basics though. Something I don't have to worry about. Something I don't have to sweat and take to the bathroom everytime.

Regards,

C.C.

Regards,

C.C.~~needs to retire the South West and look into another cue. Thinking Dennis Searing or begging JimS. LOL

TheFish
06-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Wow, thanks. I was actualyl contemplating between ordering that cue, or ordering a custom one from you. BUt since i dont know diddly about custom stuff and I liked what i saw I thought it best to order it off that guy. Now a quick question. I was thinking of sending it to Gilbert or you to do some work on the butt sleeve, can you add inlays? and do you have the time to do it? I know you are growing very very fast in popularity:)

TheFish

06-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Chris,

AE makes nice looking cues, but they don't play anything like a Southwest in my opinion. You might be disapointed if you compare the two. I ended up shelving my AE, for a Southwest...shelved the Southwest for an Ernie Martinez. Now have found Nirvana with a plan Ebony Jensen. This cue is the "bomb"!

Regards,

Doug

Chris Cass
06-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Doug,

Thanks for the info. It's hard to make furniture out of your right arm but the cost of the cue has gone too high. I'd have to spend time in jail and the nut house, if someone banged my cue now.

Jensen? I'll look into it. The AE was sharp looking but hit is what I'm looking for playability, plain and simple. I don't think I can walk away from the South West. May have to by a low line.

Thanks again for the advice. It's appreciated.

C.C.

Cueless Joey
06-17-2002, 12:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Doug,

Thanks for the info. It's hard to make furniture out of your right arm but the cost of the cue has gone too high. I'd have to spend time in jail and the nut house, if someone banged my cue now.

Jensen? I'll look into it. The AE was sharp looking but hit is what I'm looking for playability, plain and simple. I don't think I can walk away from the South West. May have to by a low line.

Thanks again for the advice. It's appreciated.

C.C. <hr></blockquote>........
Too many cues, too little time and money. :-)
A friend of mine has a collection of cues that is probably worth 200K. He has practically every known cuemaker cue there is except Hercek and Samsara. I tried his collection two times now. The best ones I liked were a Scruggs sneaky, Hagan Cue and his playing cue, a Zylr. South West makes "players' cues". These are their "rejects". He has one. It had a slight brown spot ( curly maple). He got it for less than $400 5 years ago. These are easily recognized as their rings are not checkered. Just plain ring.

Kato
06-17-2002, 08:11 AM
Chris, you can't possibly go wrong with a Searing. Wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 08:29 AM
Only thing can attest to is how Gilbert cues play, great! I bought one once second hand and later found out the price was about what the cue cost new, but the damn thing made every ball I hit, so I was forced to want it. Anyway the $700 may have been a good price for the seller, it just seems that your description wasn't glorifying except for the SW copy part and mine with no Ivory at all was $300(beautiful cocobolo butt.) The SW feature may have very well taken the "feel" I liked in my cue when I first found it, who knows ;-) sid~~~would have liked to hit with the SW copy just once

TheFish
06-17-2002, 03:54 PM
If you want, i can send you pics of it. I already paid for it, and its on its way to me as we speak. I gotta admit it looks to be a beauty:)

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Please send or post it here, I'd like to see it...sid

TheFish
06-17-2002, 04:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1835615974

i didnt know how to post pics on this (is it possible), and I didn't know if i could send through private message, so I thought putting up the expired auction was the best:)

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 04:42 PM
You didn't do it justice in your initial description, that's a damn fine piece of art. You'll notice that Andy Gilbert's points ARE his signature, meaning owners of his cues will most likely approach you with an idea, even from a distance that you've got and Andy Gilbert cue. Just my personal opinion but I imagine that you got an $1100 cue for seven hundred. Please let me know how it hits when you get it...sid

Ryan
06-17-2002, 04:46 PM
I just followed that link that you posted, and wanted to congratulate you on a fine purchase.

Andy picked out a beautiful piece of coco for that cue.

TheFish
06-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Sid - i told you it was a beauty, i just didn't know how to describe it. I can't say poetry is one of my God-given talents. Well, the day i get it I am going to be taking it to the pool hall and shooting a few hours with it.

Ryan - thanks:) To be honest, i wasn't really considering a Gilbert cue (i was ready to plunk down 1500 or so for a Capone or Harris cue) when i lucked out on this cue on ebay while looking for something else.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif good, now i am happy:D

ted harris
06-17-2002, 06:45 PM
TheFish,
Pretty sporty looking cue you got there!

06-17-2002, 09:56 PM
HAY FISH .I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU WANT 2 MESS WITH SOME THING LIKE THAT. JUST HOLD ON WHEN YOU GET THAT CUE YOU ARE NOT GOING 2 PUT IT DOWN .CAUSE ONCE YOU HIT SOME BALL'S WITH IT .YOU WON'T LET I GO TRUST ME .IT HAPPEN 2 ME IN 1997 AT VALLEY FORGE PA I HIT SOME BALL'S WITH ONE AND NOW THAT IS ALL I PLAY WITH. I HAD ABOUT 9 OR MORE .AS SOON AS I GET ONE SOMEONE WANT 2 HIT SOME BALL'S AND THEN THAY WANT ME TO SELL IT .BUT THE ONE I GOT THIS YEAR .SORRY 2 SAY BUT THIS IS NOT FOR SALE .IT COST ABOUT $1200.AND EVERYBODY WHO HAS SEEN IT LOVE IT .YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THE THE HIT,AND THE LOOK FOR THE PRICE .AND NOW I HAVE 2 MORE PEOPLE LOOK 2 GET ONE FROM ANDY GILBERT. I KNOW YOU WILL LOVE THE CUE .AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT .DROP A NOTE ON HERE AND I'LL GET IT FROM YOU ...
DEADSTROKE32 ...

06-18-2002, 02:00 AM
I bought a used Gilbert cue for about that price. I'm not sure but I think the Gilber cues go for around $1000 new. Gilbert makes great cues. Andy is also a great person.

TheFish
06-21-2002, 09:51 PM
WOw, just got my cue 20 minutes ago..i am drooling ..it is LOVELY..i mean lovely.the only minor complaint is that the joint doent fit flush with the shaft, which is surprising consdiering this is the original shaft.

But the cue is a beauty.gonna be taking it to the only pool hall in Hong kong for about 3 hours.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

BEAUTIFUL!!!