PDA

View Full Version : HUSTLERS

eat_sleep_pool
08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
HELLO EVERYONE IV NEVER WROTE IN THIS FORUM BEFORE LET ALONE ANYOTHER ONE, BUT IV BEING PLAYING POOL FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND I LIEK TO SAY THAT IM NOT BAD, GETTING THERE RIGHT!! IM 18 AND SOON WILL BE GOING INTO THE BARS, NOW A GOOD POOL PLAYER IS A GOOD POOL PLAYER NOT A HUSTLER RIGHT...
BUT I DO NEED A WAY TO HELP PAY FOR SCHOOLING AND WHY WORK AND U CAN PLAY FOR THE MONEY RIGHT.

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS ON HUSTLING ANY TRICKS OF THE TRADE KIND OF THING. OR EVEN ANY STORY'S ABOUT PAST TIMES. THNKS IN ADVANCE
COREY "THE DONT HAVE A NICKNAME YET" PORTER

"I NEED A NEW SHAFT IV BEING JERKING THIS ONE AROUND TOO MUCH"

Big_Jon
08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Just one bit of advise...
YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL!!!!

That's all i've got for you.

Rich R.
08-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Obviously you need the schooling, so, I would recommend that you forget about the hustling. You will most likely lose more money than you win.
Get a job. It is guaranteed money.

Ralph S.
08-04-2005, 11:01 PM
TAP! TAP! TAP!

Billy_Bob
08-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Some players will tell you to give players the impression that you can't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle! i.e. Don't walk in with a fancy cue - play with a stick which appears to be house cue (sneaky pete), put on a act - wear clothes like farmer, suit like business man, etc. Flash big wad of money. Play worst player in room initially and dump. Then play best players, get handicap and win, win, win. But this might get you into trouble (physical).

Other players suggest that you say from the get-go that you can beat anyone in the house, and that you will take their money. Then when you do so, they were forewarned. Keeps you out of trouble.

Here are some books on hustling...

Bet High and Kiss Low - Mathews - 2001
Cornbread Red - Henning - 1996
How to Hustle Your Friends at Pool - Tully - 1980
Hustler Days - Dyer - 2003
Hustlers Beats & Others - Polsky - 1998
Mcgoorty - Byrne - 2000
Minnesota Fats: Never behind the Eight Ball - Walther, Fred - 1998
Playing Off the Rail - McCumber - 1996
Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats - Macyoung - 1990 (book on self defense)
Tavern 8 Ball for Fun and Profit - McKernan - 1978
The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies - Minnesota Fats With Tom Fox - 1966
The Hustler - Tevis - 1984
The Hustler's Handbook: How to Play Pool for Fun and Profit - Steve Allen - 1993
The Pool Hustlers Handbook - Anton - 2002

Buy books at amazon.com or addall.com. Note that some of the above are out of print and rare. So expect prices in the hundreds of dollars for some.

Also there are "spots" (handicaps) and the terms used to describe these. Here are some links to these words...

One pocket pool glossary of terms...
http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_glossary.htm

Pool Jargon Glossary...
http://www.onthesnap.com/jargon.htm

Pool Jargon List...
http://www.sfbilliards.com/jargon.html

Some pool gambling terms explained on RSB...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/browse_frm/thread/7ce05328819fc25d/63ace8be17beeaf9?q=breaks++Action+call&rnum=1#63ac e8be17beeaf9

Qtec
08-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Get yourself back to school and learn to speak English.

Thats my advice.

Qtec.........Gasp!

Thunderduck
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, so now I know that if an 18 year old kid approaches me in a bar and starts yelling at me in broken english, he is a pool hustler... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Plummerbutt
08-06-2005, 07:58 PM
My advice is to get a job.., and don't quit it!!

A $2.00 hustler will spend more in an evening then he will make. Same goes for a $5.00 hustler.

If you can afford to play sets for $500.00-$1000.00, AND lose very few, AND still get action, THEN MAYBE you could pay for SOME of you education.

The more you hustle the less appealing your education will look. After all hustling is pretty easy money right? Well, go ahead and quit your day-job, and school. I'll give you about 6 months and I'll come visit you in your "Van down by the river."

Floyd
08-06-2005, 08:39 PM
If your game is "not bad" then your not a hustler! If you want to pay for school by playing pool, you need to be able to win 4 out of 5 games no matter what or who. School is very expensive, and as previously discussed nickel and dime games will not pay for it.

But, If you want to win beer money, go for it! Find a pool hall near school and become a regular. Become friends with the other regulars and find out who's who. Get an idea of how good your game is. Are you "not bad" or are you good? Don't fall victim to the Big Fish Little Pond syndrome. Know how good you are in the ocean.

Fred Floyd

theinel
08-07-2005, 01:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr>"Van down by the river."<hr /></blockquote>
PB, I don't know if you're using it the same way that I do but I say that all of the time in lots of different situations. I'd heard it before but it really stuck in my mind after an SNL skit featuring Chris Farley where he plays a motivational speaker. Absolutely hilarious.

sack316
08-07-2005, 02:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr>"Van down by the river."<hr /></blockquote>
PB, I don't know if you're using it the same way that I do but I say that all of the time in lots of different situations. I'd heard it before but it really stuck in my mind after an SNL skit featuring Chris Farley where he plays a motivational speaker. Absolutely hilarious. <hr /></blockquote>

ditto