PDA

View Full Version : Interesting aiming spot on object ball...

Billy_Bob
08-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I was fooling around with aiming spots on the object ball and noticed there is a spot at the bottom of the object ball where the ball appears to meet the cloth. This is at about 1/4 or 1/3 on the object ball.

Seems to me this would be a more accurate and consistent spot to aim at than trying to visualize 1/4 or 1/3 on the ball itself.

This would be used for about a 45 deg. cut. And to use this spot, you would aim from the edge of the cue ball to where the object ball bottom appears to meet the cloth.

Anyone use this spot for aiming?

Jal
08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I was fooling around with aiming spots on the object ball and noticed there is a spot at the bottom of the object ball where the ball appears to meet the cloth. This is at about 1/4 or 1/3 on the object ball.

Seems to me this would be a more accurate and consistent spot to aim at than trying to visualize 1/4 or 1/3 on the ball itself.

This would be used for about a 45 deg. cut. And to use this spot, you would aim from the edge of the cue ball to where the object ball bottom appears to meet the cloth.

<hr /></blockquote>

The answer seems to be no (so far), but the idea of using points along the apparent circumference of the object ball has something going for it. Namely, there are three times as many of them, in a manner of speaking, as there are contact points across the ball. Or maybe to be a little more precise, you can map the entire range of cut angles onto a line (arc) which is three times the radius of the object ball, as opposed to only one times its radius when using contact points.

So you have the potential of being three times as accurate in choosing a target, except for the fact that you'll have to do it by memory, whereas with contact points there are more direct visual clues to help you in locating them. But for those that shoot purely by memory anyway, having the targets spread out over the circumference of a ball, instead of its width (or half-width), does seem to have this advantage.

Jim

Fran Crimi
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I was fooling around with aiming spots on the object ball and noticed there is a spot at the bottom of the object ball where the ball appears to meet the cloth. This is at about 1/4 or 1/3 on the object ball.

<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry to contradict Jim, but yes, it's a fairly popular aiming spot. Players refer to it as the "shadow of the ball" because it's not really where the ball actually touches the cloth, but it appears that way due to the shadow. Some players really like it. It's a matter of personal preference.

Fran