PDA

View Full Version : An amazing shot!

stickman
08-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Some background in my trip to the Oklahoma State 8ball Championship, before I describe the amazing shot. I got up a little before 4.00AM Saturday morning. I had planned on going just to watch some great pool and hopefully meeting some fellow CCBers. Friday evening, a friend asked if he could ride with me. Previously, I had invited another friend to go along. I told him,(Sure, the more, the merrier). Afterwards, we picked-up another rider. (a very good 17 year old local player) We had a group of 4, 2 contestants, and 2 fans. The 17 year old did well considering his age and level of competition. The other local player did very well. He won three matches, and had to go back today, Sunday, to finish competing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend today to root for my local player, friend. I, also, had the great pleasure of meeting CBBer, Cane. He was truly as nice a guy as I had imagined him being.
Now the shot! In his final match for the day, with his last game for the win, my friend found himself in a very difficult position. The two players had been engaged in a safety battle with only two balls left on the table. Finally, it appeared that my friend had lost the battle. He was in, what appeared to be, a decidedly bad position. My friend studied his options for a while, then pointed his jump cue nearly verticle and executed an amazing shot for the match. I nearly came completely out of my seat, as well as thoses others that were watching. This is the shot:

START(
%HD1E6%ID6X5%PD6D2%eC2b0%_E2G6%`G0H6%aE4E0

)END

pooldude
08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Awesome shot!!! I wish I could have seen it in person.

Cane
08-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh, it was an awesome shot. I was between disasters (my new word for matches) watching Stickmans friend when he made this shot. I saw him jack up to masse and I thought "Whew... this is going to be trouble". Well, it was... for the OTHER guy. He nailed the masse beautifully and got in perfect position to get out.

Hey, if any of you ever get a chance to meet Stickman, he is a great guy! I really enjoyed his company at the Championships and he gave me a sounding board to beat up on myself after pulling off the all time record "stupid poolplayer tricks".

uh... notice, I'm home and not in the final rounds of play today! LOL Well, let's put it this way... First match, I hung 2 8-balls, scratched 3 times on the break and scratched on 2 link balls... Do ya know anyone that can do that and still win the match??? Well, I don't! LOL Have to smile about it though (keeps you from crying) and no need to whine. I'm not one of those that believes you "get" bad rolls, you "MAKE YOUR OWN BAD ROLLS". Like I've heard all my life, "ole whitey don't go where you don't make him roll".

Regardless, I had a great time and saw many great matches. Some pretty heavy southern hitters there. Gabe Owen, Shane McMinn, James Walden and a cast of many whose names most of you would recognize. It was a great tournament, but getting up at 6am to head to Tulsa, driving 2 hours, my last match ending at midnight, I was ready to get home and get to bed. Not using "tired" as an excuse, I just made a plethora of stupid mistakes yesterday. Been up this morning since about 7am working them out. But, they didn't wear me down!!! I'm heading to Fort Smith in a few hours to play in another tournament. Yesterday was a disaster, but the past week has not been. Including the OK 8-Ball Championships, I've played 5 tournaments in the past 7 days. 3 wins, 1 third, and I don't know how far down in the field I was yesterday, I think about halfway in a 96 man field. 2 rd.s into the winners, 2 rounds into the losers. Coulda been worse... but not MUCH! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for my first loss... Stick saw it. This guy was the number 4 pick in the calcutta. He's supposed to do well. He could NOT out play me, but I sure did a good job of out "stupiding" him! Can't outrun giving the guy 4 games (the 2 8ball hangers and the 2 BIH on the link ball scratches) and scratching on the break!!!! I did it three times and STILL didn't change my break position! Braindead day, I guess!

Oh, my last shot of the night. Opponent is on the hill, I have one ball left, the 2, he plays me safe, but leaves me seeing the edge. I call the 2 cross corner and nail it... (Stickman saw it... beautiful shot...at least the FIRST half of it!) I played it with a bit of outside spin so I'd be sure to hit one of the two blockers on the far side of the table and leave myself a look at the money ball, BUT I went through the window in a wall of blockers that I didn't think I could get through and scratched, leaving him BIH with 5 well spread balls on the table. Stick me with a fork! I'm done! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not very good with the RSB table so interpret as well as you can! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

START(
%BJ2Y4%HO0Q9%JT5G4%KR2Y3%LU4J0%MX5M5%N[3X0%PW2W3%UJ9X7%VV5W4
%WI5[2%XI8Y9%YC4D0%ZI2[5%_r5D4%`E3Q4%aJ0X6
)END

Now, how many people on here would show the shot that they BLEW! LOL

Later,
Bob (giving lessons this week in how to beat yourself out of a tournament!)

stickman
08-07-2005, 01:18 PM
In spite of less than hoped for results, Cane's style, ability, and character were obviously apparent. Although he was having a tuff day, it looked like he was about to fight back. He played a very difficult shot from a nearly complete hook to almost put himself back into the match. The cueball caromed off his opponent's balls to cause a scratch. (at least that's what I thought happened) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Some days are just that way. Of course, there is always another day to balance things up.

Jim /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
08-07-2005, 05:44 PM
My friend ended up in position 9-12. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nhp
08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Stickman in the shot you diagrammed, this is a game of 8-ball, and your opponent is on the 8 right? He jacked up and massed around the 8 and made it in the corner? That's a great shot!!! How come he didn't just thin the 8 and send the cueball to the rail and back into the 8 leaving his opponent in jail?

stickman
08-07-2005, 06:22 PM
My friend was on the 8. I guess he was afraid if he thinned the 8, he might leave a shot on his opponent's last ball and get out. I play him often and watch him even more often. I was surprised to see that he had this shot in his bag of tricks. I knew he was an excellent jumper. This draw masse surprised me, and nearly everyone watching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Better than that, why not just bump the 8 a nudge on the short rail and neatly tuck the CB behind the 8, hiding the opponent from hitting his stripe? If it's 9-ball, then we are both wrong in prodding these alternatives...sid

stickman
08-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Sid, I wish you had been there to witness the shot. It would have been doubly good, because I would have had the opportunity to meet you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

nhp
08-07-2005, 11:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Better than that, why not just bump the 8 a nudge on the short rail and neatly tuck the CB behind the 8, hiding the opponent from hitting his stripe? If it's 9-ball, then we are both wrong in prodding these alternatives...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid that's exactly what I said in my post. Just thin the 8 and the cueball taps the rail and comes to rest in jail behind the 8.

What stickman's friend did was a fantastic shot, but wow that is like taking a flyer with low percentages. If you play safe you are 99% guaranteed to win the match...there is no jump available, no masse, the only shot your opponent would have is a long rail or 3-rail kick, and even if he hits the ball he sells out.

I can only imagine how his opponent must have felt when he was jacking up his cue for the masse. He was probably shocked and happy that the guy didn't see the game winning safety and his heart sank into his foot when he saw the ball drop!!! LOL what a beautiful way to win! But I do have to say it was quite reckless. Maybe the guy practices that shot all day so he can never miss it. To each their own lol.

Stickman, please tell me you would have gone for the safe if you were in that situation. It's extremely easy to execute.

stickman
08-08-2005, 04:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Stickman, please tell me you would have gone for the safe if you were in that situation. It's extremely easy to execute. <hr /></blockquote>
I misunderstood what you meant with your first post. Now that I'm thinking right, I surely would have tried your's or Sid's way. All the same, under pressure and with the cueball so close to both the 8 and the rail, it wouldn't be automatic. Unless I took the time to control the nerves, I could imagine myself double hitting and fouling, or something else. HaHa

Even though I had never seen my friend practice this type of shot, I'm sure it was nothing unfamiliar to him. He shoots pretty much everyday at the poolhall for several hours, and has a table at home also.

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2005, 05:07 AM
I don't like to jump in with the "holes of why" a shot was selected after seeing the Wei layout cuz many times there were slight differences to the actual way the balls were in place. Your friend made a hellova shot on the masse, better he than me, masse shots aren't my forte...sid

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Sorry, I guess it pays to read the last sentence. My mind was on a second option of thinning the 8 on the left edge and sending whitie down table when I quit reading, OOPS...sid

Cane
08-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Gentlemen, I can't remember the exact position of the balls on that shot, but I do remember craning my neck and looking at the layout and thinking there was at least a 50% chance the other player was going to get out and win the game. I believe Stickmans friend was way up in the set, and if there was any time to take a wild chance, that was probably it. I saw a couple of options, which now, I can't remember, but they were "iffy" at best. Probably not as iffy as the masse shot, but still not good choices... there WERE no good choices with layout he had. When he elevated, I honestly thought he'd made a less than good choice, but then again, he apparently had practiced that shot enough to do it well, and he nailed it. I think, in the end, it was a good choice, for 2 reasons. #1, he made the out and won the game. #2, you should have seen the look on his opponents face when he nailed the shot. It was like "What the hell am I doing here?". It took most of the wind out of his opponents sails. The guy was standing up, shoulders back, head high, watching the shot. As soon as the ball dropped, his shoulders slouched, his jaw dropped and his eyes went showed GREAT disappointment. The shot probably not only won that game, but insured the entire set. The guy had really played a great safety and Sticks friend shoved it up his a$$. The guy had to be thinking, "What do I have to do?"

So, while I probably would have played it differently, for him and his arsenal of shots, he made a good choice in more ways that one.

Later,
Bob

Scott Lee
08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Masse is an interesting stroke. Like anything, it is precisely the same 'throwing' motion as a horizontal stroke. Like anything, the more you practice masse, the better you will be at it. There are only a couple of masse 'artists' in the world (exhibition players who specialize in just masse shots). One is from Korea.

Interestingly, at the turn of the 19th century, every banger in the poolroom could shoot an effective masse.
The art has been lost over the years...

I've seen some very good amateur players shoot some awesome masse shots. Most of the time, they were using very powerful strokes. That's probably the biggest misconception about masse. The better masse's are done with a very delicate stroke, and a very loose grip.

Scott Lee

stickman
08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
I looked at the shot again. It was more like this. There was no rail to play to. The pockets are bigger than they are shown on the wei table. I confirmed the position with Mike tonight.
START(
%HC6D8%ID6X5%PD7D0%eC2b0%_D5F6%`G0H6%aE1D7
(END

Jim

BCgirl
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm really interested to know if the CB jumped at all, and if it was a hard phenolic tip on the jump cue. It's a shot that I've hit a lot for fun (and once in a tourney). I can make it with my regular soft-tipped cue, and I initially thought that it would be easier to hit the masse with the shorter cue. But although the jump cue is awesome for jumping (low mass, super hard tip), those same factors make it more difficult (IMO) to impart the spin needed for the masse, and I think it's very much harder to hit with the jump cue. I know I simply can't come close to this shot with my jump cue. That's why I'm interested in the CB action, and whether the CB took a radical jump prior to spinning back, or if the action was that of a regular masse (CB staying on the cloth).

BCgirl

Cane
08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
BCgirl, the CB didn't jump. It slid out and curved back. Very pretty shot.

Bob

stickman
08-11-2005, 06:49 AM
I was watching from across the room. There were barriers to prevent spectators from getting too close to the action. I could be mistaken as to whether he was using his jump cue. It may have just been my assumption, due to the angle he was hitting with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I had never seen him use this type shot before, so I wasn't sure what he was trying until I saw him execute it. I know he has a phenolic tip on his jump/break. I put it on for him. He prefers LePros on his shooting cue. You are probably right about his cue selection.

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
The trick shot artists on TV were stroking masse shots from the corner area, sliding to center table and around a lone ball, then coming back to pocket a ball in one of the corners. These guys of course practice these specialty shots, but it tells me that masse shots like this one in OK is only limited by one's diligence, practice and confidence.

I can't imagine a phenolic tip giving much help in this extreme case, but a JC shafted with say an Elkmaster might be a handy combo...sid

Ralph S.
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
That was a helluva shot reguardless of the layout. One possibility though Sid, he may have used a specialty masse cue.