PDA

View Full Version : vacum for pool table

vinnie717
08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I know not to use one with spinning bristols but can i use a big black one with a tube system?if not what should i use
thank you
vince

tannerpruess
08-07-2005, 01:57 PM
We use our little shop vacuum with various attachments and it works great.

Cane
08-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Vinnie,
I used to use a shop vac, but have mended my ways since I read this post a few weeks ago by Fran Crimi. I'm just going to quote the post here.
[ QUOTE ]
I had an extensive conversation this morning with Ivan Lee, Pres. of Simonis U.S. on caring for 860 Simonis cloth, and he confirmed my suggestion. He also added some additional points of interest.

When I mentioned the use of rotating brushes, his response was, "No, that wouldn't be a good idea." Although additional fiber breakage is a concern, he said that he was even moreso concerned about the fact that rotating brushes literally "Beat the cloth, as if you're beating a rug." That could stretch the cloth more than a non-rotating brush.

He also said that for bristle texture, use the bristles on a table brush as an example and try not to use a vacuum with bristles harder than that.

Also, NEVER press hard with a vacuum or brush and never use a vacuum with a hard pull. Always vacuum and brush lightly and if the cloth is exceptionally dirty you can vacuum back and forth, however, do it extremely lightly. Pressing hard will damage more fibers, stretch the cloth and push dirt deeper into the cloth.

He mentioned that going down the table with a SLIGHTLY damp cloth in one direction after vacuuming will lay down the fibers that have become vertical after vacuuming. Also the wool fibers may shrink slightly, helping to hold them in place. But do not WET the cloth. Only slightly dampen it.

He also said not to worry too much about dirt getting under Simonis 860. If you properly care for the cloth, and don't vacuum or brush too hard, that won't be an issue because the weave is extremely tight. If you take a piece of the cloth and stretch it to the max and hold it up to the light, he said you won't see holes through the weave because of how tight it is.

The good news is that the fibers on Simonis 860 are long and don't break as easily as other cloths, however, he still recommends caution when using the vacuum. Keep it light and stay away from rotating brushes.

Fran

Forgot to mention: Ivan wholeheartedly gave me permission to post his response on the CCB.
<hr /></blockquote>

I now us my old Dirt Devil, but have taken the rotating brush out of it. Works great.

Later,
Bob

SplinterHands
08-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Don't use a shop-vac.

bluey2king
08-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks Cane for the update. Sorry about your early exit at the tourny....good to hear that you fought to the END!
*S*