PDA

View Full Version : Visualize, Follow through, Freeze

mworkman
08-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Instead of the more common "Set, Pause, Finish, Freeze". I've been using a variation that seems to work better for me. (Visualize, Follow through, Freeze) It seems if I leave one of these 3 things out, I'm not as consistant. Visualization is very important for me. I must see the shot going in.

If I get that nice straight follow through, I'm ussually in great shape. Also, I have trouble staying down, so I need to consentrate on that also.

I'm sure the ideal routine would be different for everybody.

I've never really had much of a preshot routine before, so I will try it this year.

I did put a pause in my stroke last year. But I don't have to think about it anymore as it has become a natural part of my game.

Scott Lee
08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Instead of the more common "Set, Pause, Finish, Freeze". I've been using a variation that seems to work better for me. (Visualize, Follow through, Freeze) It seems if I leave one of these 3 things out, I'm not as consistant. Visualization is very important for me. I must see the shot going in.

If I get that nice straight follow through, I'm ussually in great shape. Also, I have trouble staying down, so I need to consentrate on that also.

I'm sure the ideal routine would be different for everybody.

I've never really had much of a preshot routine before, so I will try it this year.

I did put a pause in my stroke last year. But I don't have to think about it anymore as it has become a natural part of my game.

<hr /></blockquote>

The things you describe (visualize, follow-through) are part of the set, pause, finish process. The set position is most important, because it's where you decide whether your next stroke will strike the CB or not.

You say the 'ideal' routine would be different for everybody. But, in fact, it is quite similar for most good players. Evaluate, go into your preshot routine, confirm, and shoot. You say you never had much of a preshot routine before. The spf formula is perfect for drilling repetitive movements into your conscious and unconscious mind. The specific words and process of set/pause/finish/freeze are important building blocks for a repeatable and sustainable stroke. That's what gives you the quickest, most permanent improvement.

Visualization happens at the "set"...position...see it or don't see it...go, or don't go. Followthrough is not something you consciously MAKE happen. Followthrough happens naturally, as a result of a complete finish of the pendulum swing, with no elbow collapse. Your tip finishes close to the cloth some distance past where the CB was sitting.

From what you describe, all of the problems you're encountering (if I get that straight stroke, staying down, poor preshot routine, timing,etc.) are all problems that you could easily eliminate with one session of pool school. I believe there's one in Minneapolis next weekend.

Scott Lee

mworkman
08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Scott. One question tho'. Would you suggest me including the pause in my thought process even tho' I don't need to anymore? I always thought that the less you had to think about the better.. I can see how it would be easier to teach the same thing to everyone tho'.

Scott Lee
08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
mworkman...There are actually two pauses (where the cuestick comes to rest); at the CB, before the commitment stroke; and at the end of your backswing, before you make the transition to go forward, to the finish position.
The 'pause' at the CB is called the "set" position. You don't have to think about it. The pause, or hesitation, at the end of your backswing, is to allow you to easily change direction, and accelerate through the CB, to the finish position. You don't have think about that one either...it just happens naturally. Saying the words helps you learn while you practice. You wouldn't say them when you were playing...but still thinking them. Hope this helps...

Scott Lee

pooltchr
08-08-2005, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Visualization happens at the "set"...position...see it or don't see it...go, or don't go.
Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott,
I think that point may be the final visualization. I think it's important to visualize the entire shot while you still have the chalk in your hand. As you start to move into position, you should be seeing the path of the balls, hearing the sound of the tip making contact with the cue ball and the sound the ball will make as it drops in the pocket. The visualization at set is a verification that everything you already saw happening is still going to happen.
Just another way of looking at things.
Steve