PDA

View Full Version : Cue Butt opinion - Schon, Joss Meucci, etc. etc.

06-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Dear all,
Got question behind my back for a while but don't know where I should address this - thought this would be a great place to post.

I really wondered, if a pro pool player try a cue without he/she know what brand is that and can tell the difference?

Let's say Schon, Joss, Meucci *some that I familiar with* all is painted white so nobody can tell what's the brand *with the same shaft*, and let a pro to try one by one, can he/she know that at least "this butt gives such and such and that gives ..... ?

or does shaft matters more than butt then?

If those are answered yes, then, my next question would be, how about if Schon regular with Schon LTD series, would it be a difference?

how they differ?

Last but not the least, how to balance weight in a cue butt?
is there a special tool for that or just by try and error?

Thanks a lot - any answer would be greatly appreciated.

ps: I saw some posted really use physics knowledge, it's very interesting. But personal opinion also play a big role on this question I guess /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif THX a BUNCH

06-17-2002, 03:40 AM
a cue's character is defined by its design from tip to butt. one shaft on three different butts will give you three different "feels".

as for putting a schon regular shaft on an lt series. the only difference between an lt and a regular is the design.

06-17-2002, 01:05 PM
thanks a lot arnie, probably I should try this myself...sometime.

anyone else have other opinion on this thing?

thank you so much -

06-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Hi newbie,
The only experience I have with cues is the Predator line. I Definately noticed a difference between my first edition, (standard butt) and my Predator 2 (spliced butt). The P2 gives me more action on the cue ball, with a lighter hit.

cheesemouse
06-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Newbie,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I really wondered, if a pro pool player tried a cue w/o he/she knowing what brand is what, can they tell the difference?<hr></blockquote> note: I paraphrased your ??
While in the bar business we used to run this test on customers who claimed they could tell what drinks they were drinking. We would put water, 7-up, coke and soda water in glasses, make the guy close his eyes and see how many he could guess after sipping each. Virtually no one gets thems ever. While attending a Valley event in Vegas a vender had this type of test set-up on a table only with cues. You would place your cue amoungest three of his (wrapped&amp; unrapped) and then close your eyes and quick draw each in turn and the test was to pick your cue out of the four. I stood there and watched player after player not be able to pick his stick from the rest, the ones that could had dings in their shafts. I couldn't pick mine out of three tries. While this maybe a gimicky sales technic it demonstrated to me, atleast, how our touch relies on the visual. When your at tournaments it is amazing how many top players use, as their playing cue, a high quality sneaky pete. After a certain point in your basic cue everything is gingerbread and while those visual qualities may give you pride of ownership and be a good investment the hit isn't going to improve with price. JMHO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
P.S. I like to play with cues that don't have to go to the bathroom with me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-17-2002, 05:01 PM
But Cheese, were you shooting with the cue, or just running your hands along it?

06-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Cheesemouse,

Thank you so much for the post, that's what I thought in the first place. The thing that made me so doubtful is the fact that Southwest cues really pricy. Probably just beginner like me cannot see the work of art of that cue. I thought they put some sort like patent pendulum or .... that make the cue very balanced so pros may feel it. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks a lot for the post - if anyone want to add also would be appreciated.

ps: also Lorri - thanks for your post.

Eric.
06-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I guess it's time to punch out and go home.

cheesemouse
06-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Lorri,
you didn't hit balls just pick the cue up and assume your stance with the cue and stroke it afew time then go on to the next one. I'm not saying players don't know there own cue like...well I'll leave that one....it's just that repeatedly they could not pick out there own stick. I was suprised that I didn't pick my own out either.

06-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Cute Eric, very cute. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Frankly Cheese, I'm not. One feels very much the same as another, until you hit a ball that is. But I'll bet I could still pick mine out of a group! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
06-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Cheese, Ive never tried that test, but I have very sensitive hands. Just the feel of the wrap should give it away. I've gotten famaliar with different parts of that wrap. We've become old buddies. It would be interesting.

heater451
06-17-2002, 11:53 PM
I could see how it could be hard, but I would also think that there would be certain cases that would make it easier to pick your own cue.

For instance, my primary cue is a 19oz/13mm Viking, with a stainless joint, and a somewhat forward balance. I also have a Mali, that is butt-heavy in its balance. I do not believe that I could confuse the two. That said, I could pick out my Viking from a few other, butt-heavy cues, but wouldn't fare as well with more similar cues.

Also, if the test were done with my cue and several new cues, I would be able to tell by the feel of the shaft--mine definitely no longer has that "new cue feel". (Okay, so can can get a little slack in my shaft maintenance. . . .)

Now, about tasting water vs. coke vs. soda water. How trashed were the people you tested?

Eric.
06-18-2002, 06:35 AM
a smile n wink!

cheesemouse
06-18-2002, 06:49 AM
heater451,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Now, about tasting water vs. coke vs. soda water. How trashed were the people you tested?<hr></blockquote>
LOL.....I wish modern science would come up with a hand held 'trashed' device, that would have made my years in the bar buz less stressful, the device would be handy in pool rooms for matching up also. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
I can't remember for sure but I think all the shafts on the cues used had been sanded with 600 grit... Hey, you don't have to believe me try it for yourselves.

heater451
06-18-2002, 10:09 AM
http://www.dui.com/communidyne.html

cheesemouse
06-18-2002, 12:29 PM
heat,
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Isn't it great to live in America..LOL

06-18-2002, 08:26 PM
It's a great place, I'm never leaving! ha ha /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif