PDA

View Full Version : New Cue New Feel!!!! Help

jerrodbottini
08-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok... so I just baught a new Bobby Hunter pool cue. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions what I should do to get used to this stick? I am used to playing with A steel jointed pool cue, and this cue has a wood to wood joint. I have been playing pool for about five years. If I was to describe my game it would be a five or six out of ten.
Thanks Jerrod
P.S The weight is 19.5 with a pro taper of 12.5.

killerstroke
08-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I believe the best advice is that you will need to learn the hit. Probably most important (as normal play should be) CENTER BALL!!!!!!

Fran Crimi
08-08-2005, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jerrodbottini:</font><hr> Ok... so I just baught a new Bobby Hunter pool cue. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions what I should do to get used to this stick? I am used to playing with A steel jointed pool cue, and this cue has a wood to wood joint. I have been playing pool for about five years. If I was to describe my game it would be a five or six out of ten.
Thanks Jerrod
P.S The weight is 19.5 with a pro taper of 12.5. <hr /></blockquote>

Wood to wood joints tend to feel a little firmer in the hit. You'll probably feel less vibration coming down the shaft. That should be the big difference. Loosen up your back hand to make the transition easier. I think once you get used to wood to wood, you'll really like it. They're great hitting cues.

Fran

jerrodbottini
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh I see.. What should I do to compinsate for the diffrence in throw and squirt. Also what can I do to practise for the diffrence in the hit?
Thanks Jerrod

TommyT
08-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Pocket balls. In 30 minutes you should be OK.
TommyT

Plummerbutt
08-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Losen your grip and start shooting balls. Forget about any english and just concetrate on contacting the center of the CB.
The "feel" for your new cue will come very soon, but only with practice, but alot of that "feel" will be determined by your center ball hit.
Everything else after that just falls into place. Pretty soon the only thing you'll notice is the "feel" of a bad hit such as a mis-cue.
One thing I've notice about my favorite cues is that the feel is quiet. Meaning that when I hit the CB correctly, I do not feel a thing coming from the cue. This is what you want for "feel".

Fran Crimi
08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Just play by yourself, and pay attention to whether you're overcutting or undercutting your shots. You'll start to see the patterns. You'll overcut some angles and undercut some angles. In a little bit of time you'll start to adjust without even thinking about it. Just keep you back hand loose and you'll get used to the feel. I went through the same thing when I made the change to wood to wood.

Fran

Cueless Joey
08-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Does it hit too soft for you?
If it does, it's not the joint.
It's the cue itself.
If it doesn't hit too soft for you, then it's ok.

Billy_Bob
08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Are you using the same brand of tip, hardness of tip, and radius of tip (nickel, dime) as your old cue?

Changing anything on my cue takes me months to adjust to. This includes weight, shaft size at tip, taper, brand of tip, hardness of tip, and radius of tip.

If you have an entirely new cue including tip, it could take months to adjust. This is why I have selected a specific specification of cue/shaft/tip and stick with it. But just using my exact tip on another cue will go a long way toward a different cue playing pretty much the same as my regular cue.

jerrodbottini
08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok my game is picking up a little. But it seems I am till having trouble getting used to this cue... I quess it is just going to take alot of time...

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm different, if I buy a new cue, invest maybe twice the cost of what I've put into a cue so far, I seem to "respect" the cue in some twisted way and my game jumps up a notch. It doesn't stick but for a few weeks it seems, but given a pricey cue, whether it is one I've bought or one I am test driving, that virgin period in the beginning is when it usually works the best, no matter what. Depends of course if the tip isn't far out of my usual hardness preference.

I used to run with a guy who would state when a fine, pricey cue was suggested to him, "I'm not good enough for that cue" and I'd say "Maybe you'll "play-up" to that cue."...sid~~~might be a little strange with new cue mentality

Billy_Bob
08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jerrodbottini:</font><hr> Ok my game is picking up a little. But it seems I am till having trouble getting used to this cue... I quess it is just going to take alot of time... <hr /></blockquote>

Be sure to find out what brand/hardness/shape of tip your new cue has. Then when you need a new tip installed, you can get the same exact thing.

Brian in VA
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I get that too Sid. I call it the "Excalibur Syndrome!"

Brian in VA - Can't afford to buy a new stick every week, though.