PDA

View Full Version : NooB has humidity question. Can you help?

Garfoo
08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey all. Love the forum! I have already learned alot just perusing the threads. I have a siuation that I need help with. I live in Florida and have the opporitunity to put a pool table in my garage (wife allowed me to make it into a bar) I have found the table, a used coin op, and the dealer has assured me that warping won't be a factor, seeing as the table is slate. Am I to believe this to be true? Should I be concerned about humidity? Is the garage a bad place to have a pool table?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

nAz
08-08-2005, 03:56 PM
I do not see a problem with the Humidity other then slowing the speed of the tablecloth and maybe balls sticking together more then normal. enjoy!

curious what will you be charging per game? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vinnie717
08-08-2005, 06:30 PM
You will have no problems in the garage if u have got a couple fans and at night keep the windows CLOSED bugs are attracted to the light and get on the cloth!!

ceebee
08-09-2005, 05:05 AM
If you decide to use the garage, you may want to use an air conditioner so you will be comfortable. The air conditioner will remove a lot of the humidity.

Slates don't generally warp, unless they are put in a bind. This can be caused by poor leveling of the Pool Table or the slates (s) are not supported correctly.

Fred Agnir
08-09-2005, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Garfoo:</font><hr> Is the garage a bad place to have a pool table? <hr /></blockquote>

Depends on your garage. Humidity is normally a problem as far as how much fun you can have. Plus, in New England, the building codes leave us with enough incline in the garage for drainage that there can be inches of difference in table height with respect to the bottom of the leg.

Fred

Garfoo
08-09-2005, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I do not see a problem with the Humidity other then slowing the speed of the tablecloth and maybe balls sticking together more then normal. enjoy!

curious what will you be charging per game? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

$15.00 per game (I figure I can recoup some of the costs that way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thnaks for the reply. Have you ever heard of the felt being effected by humidity? The reason I ask is that some concerns have been raised from other players about shrinking/expanding.

Garfoo
08-09-2005, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> You will have no problems in the garage if u have got a couple fans and at night keep the windows CLOSED bugs are attracted to the light and get on the cloth!! <hr /></blockquote>

I got the fans and will keep closed at night. As far as bugs, plans for a garage screen are in the works. I guess my main concern is the heat/humidity of the summers. During the day, I keep the garage door cracked with a fan on.

Garfoo
08-09-2005, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> If you decide to use the garage, you may want to use an air conditioner so you will be comfortable. The air conditioner will remove a lot of the humidity.

Slates don't generally warp, unless they are put in a bind. This can be caused by poor leveling of the Pool Table or the slates (s) are not supported correctly. <hr /></blockquote>Air conditioning is an option down the road. s it stands, we have a bonus room over the garage (used as a guest room) that has it's own air conditioning unit. While I can get cold air piped in, I can't have a return. This option will, of course, be down the road. The wife has to warm up to the idea of being cool.

Thanks for the reply.

Garfoo
08-09-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Garfoo:</font><hr> Is the garage a bad place to have a pool table? <hr /></blockquote>

Depends on your garage. Humidity is normally a problem as far as how much fun you can have. Plus, in New England, the building codes leave us with enough incline in the garage for drainage that there can be inches of difference in table height with respect to the bottom of the leg.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

The humidity issue is generally at it's worst may-sept. The winter months are like fall in new england. It's strange, we have spring summer and a loooonng fall. As stated above, my main concern is the wood/cloth being exposed to the humidity. I was wondering about an outdoor table but was told that was specific to being out in the actual elements... plus they cost so much! This used coin-op table is a pretty seet deal and fits the motif of the bar area.

I have but one opporitunity to buy this table (sold a jet ski to get it) so I need to make sure what I get doesn't get ruined out in the garage.

Billy_Bob
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Humidity is not a problem with wood. It is moving a wood piece of furniture or whatever from a high humidity area to a very dry area which causes problems with warping, etc.

I have my pool table in my garage and no problems. I also have a window air conditioner and heating. Here are a couple of pictures of my "high class" garage pool room...
http://www.geocities.com/billybobnospam/pr.html