PDA

View Full Version : An excellent tribute to Babe Cranfield!!!

nail
08-11-2005, 06:39 PM
This is for anyone in this forum (especially straight pool players) who would like to know more about the history of one of the true grand masters of straight pool, Babe Cranfield, told by one of his closest friends and student, Larry Moy (co-author of the Straight Pool Bible). The article is in the August issue of Pool & Billiard Magazine. It is the first part of a two part story. If you like, please post a reply to this message and tell me what you think of the article so far. If you have any stories about Babe, I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

nail

PQQLK9
08-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I think Babe was truly one of the great ones and I have his Straight Pool Bible but the only Mag that I subscribe to is Inside Pool. If the article appears online somewhere I would like to read it. Thanks for the info.

BooBoo
08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Being a 16 year old kid in Syracuse, NY and watching Babe just run rack after rack at the Holiday Bowl pool room to me was like magic. He never counted the balls, just counted the racks on the scorer on the rail. He would usually run 14 or so racks just to warm up. Then he would practice banks and the wing shots. I would sit there in awe knowing I was watching something very special. Years later when I would watch him practice at Cap's Cue Club the session would usually end with the guys gathered around and listen to the stories. One of them that I remember about an exhibition Babe gave in Chicago. He said he ran the 14 racks did some trick shots and gave what he thought was a pretty good exhibition of billiard prowess. At the end of the exhibition an older fellow was in the audience shaking his head and talking to himself. Babe asked him what was wrong. The fella said what was so special about that run, you never had a tough shot and you always had the same break shot! The way Babe told it for sure was alot funnier. But it always reminds that when a master of anything does something, don't they make it seem so easy.