PDA

View Full Version : Jay Flowers passed away

tateuts
08-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I know some of you don't get to A-Z Billiards too often, so I am posting this here.

Jack Justis let us know that Jay Flowers passed away August 7. he battle lung cancer for several years - what a fighter that guy was. Here is what I added:

I just wanted to do a little obit on this for the pool world. I spoke to Jay a few weeks ago, and was able to obtain some biographical information. At the time, he was bravely facing his illness.

His real name was Jasper Meeks Flowers, Jr. and he learned leatherwork on his fathers farm. He was born in 1932 and was a Korean War vet. Jay was a very good pool player and played in many professional events. He was a friend of Buddy Hall's. He designed and made very popular tooled leather cases from the early 1980ís to early 1990ís.

He was always back ordered. The name JEF was chosen because he thought it sounded snazzy. He had them made in his three car garage in Tampa and employed 8 women in an assembly line (he would only hire women). Each of them was trained to do a particular job. They were constantly back ordered. He said at one time he had 1000 backorders and they were only able to make a few cases a day. Retail was $250 - $275 in those days.

In his later years, Jay became very religious. Jay is survived by his wife, Shirley.

Some of his cases are on my site:

http://www.palmercollector.com/JayFlowers.html

We will miss you, Jay.