PDA

View Full Version : Help with purchasing a cue?

06-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Okay..I know exactly nothing about the game, but my boyfriend plays and I want to get him a cue for his birthday..but I want it to be a surprise. I want to get him a really nice one, but I have no idea even where to start. Could someone give me an idea of what to look for?

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 11:48 AM
What kind of money are we spending? Does he play in bars or in billiard halls? Some kind of general ideas about his status and the money will certainly help...sid

06-17-2002, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What kind of money are we spending? Does he play in bars or in billiard halls? Some kind of general ideas about his status and the money will certainly help...sid <hr></blockquote>

He plays a little in both, I think..more billiard halls though. And $600 I guess would be my limit..a little over is okay though. Thank you /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Pizza Bob
06-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Given your response to Sid's questions, be prepared for multiple marriage proposals from members of this board ;-)

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Tigris...Well you certainly have room to work with your price range. Depending on whether your boyfriend is serious or if he is just becoming serious makes this answer one of two main choices, this being custom or production. Some people like looks and performance more than the name, in which case there are several production cues which will fit the bill. On the other hand if he's an avid player with a circle of avid friends into pool, then the choice come more toward a well built custom cue. The custom will be moderate in flashy appearance but take my word for it, and probably most poster's word, the custom is your longest lasting and best choice, considering you get a reputable cue guy. Whatever you get you should factor in a cue case if he's not already into one. I personally find decent quality in the Porper line for that, costs for 2-2 cases around $50 on-line. There's nicer cases for more money, I just don't want to cover you up with another worry so I went functional with the case idea.

Hope I don't confuse you with the new thoughts about his interest level, but it will dictate whether you get a quality, dressy cue(production) or a name in a custom. Hopefully there will be added opinions for you after some more information. Tell me, does he have his own cue now? Maybe he talks about one a friend has, that might narrow the decision down and reflect his level of interest.

Hope this helps. Stick with it, he's lucky is all I gotta say...sid

Kato
06-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Will you marry me? Thought I'd be the first.

Kato

stickman
06-17-2002, 02:40 PM
I agree that a custom cue is the best choice, if you have a good cue maker in your vicintity, but if you decide to go with a production cue, I would recommend Schon. I know very few that wouldn't be pleased with one of these.

06-17-2002, 02:40 PM
[quote
He plays a little in both, I think..more billiard halls though. And $600 I guess would be my limit..a little over is okay though. Thank you /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

for that kindof money you (and he) can have a very nice, one of a kind, custom cue built to his personal specs. if you tell us where you live, we can probably suggest some custom cuemakers in your area. i would hate to see you spend that kind of money and have him wind up with a cue that does not "feel" right to him. plus, you can both participate in designing the "look" of the cue.

dan

06-17-2002, 03:44 PM
If you have a custom cue made for him I definitely think he should know about it so he can have it made to how he would like it. The biggest reason for having a cue custom made is to have it made to the players likings &amp; preferences. I just don't feel you should surprise someone with a custom made cue.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-17-2002, 07:04 PM
I have owned about a dozen cues in my 30+ years of playing, and the one I like the best is the 4th cue my wife has purchased me..(yes, she has bought me 4 cues) It was a custom built Bob Meucci Original in 1986. To my specifications and I will keep it forever. Surprizes are great, but not pool cues. Its best to let him decide which one he likes and tell him the price range. Believe me, he'll love it... There are a lot of great cues (Custom and Production models) for his selection, which could be a good time to spend with him too.

06-17-2002, 08:18 PM
Tell him you want to learn more about his interests and get him talking about cues. Listen carefully and you'll probably hear what you need to know. If not, talk to a couple of his friends. By the way, will you marry me? (I didn't want to be left out of the fun! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2002, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tigris:</font><hr>
He plays a little in both, I think..more billiard halls though. And $600 I guess would be my limit..a little over is okay though. Thank you /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

So you really don't know for sure where this guy actually plays pool. Sounds like you have not been together very long. If that's the case don't even think about spending $600 on him. And especially not for a cue. A cue is a very personal choice and not a good idea for a surprise gift. If you insist on trying to buy him a cue maybe you could get him a $200 gift certificate from a local billiard supply place. He could probably find something decent for that. It depends on his skill level. Does he have his own cue now?

MikeM
06-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Trying to improve your pool game I see Lorri!

Tigris,

I will second Stickman's recommendation of Schon. That was my first cue and still my favorite. Since pool cues seem to retain their value pretty well, if they are taken care of, I don't think it is a big risk to buy him a cue. As a matter of fact it's pretty darn nice of you! If he doesn't like it he can probably sell it for not much less than what you pay and get something else. If he hasn't been playing for long (like me) than he probably needs to try many different cues before he finds out what suits him best.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MM

06-18-2002, 02:36 PM
You should definitely let him choose his own. There are too many things to consider like weight, length, taper, tip diameter not to mention just the pure look and feel of the stick. If they were inexpensive I'd say surprise him with it but since you'll be paying at least a couple of hundred bucks you don't want to get him one that he won't use.

Hug n kisses

Yommo