PDA

View Full Version : New Shafts & Tip Select Opinion

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I have 2 new shafts being made for two customs I own, one I said I would supply a Moori and pad for the tip instead of absorbing a $20 added cost for his Moori, the other shaft I opted for a Triangle(STD tip with a new shaft.) Question is: "Since I hit with one of these shafts of the maker and it had a Triangle and hit really well, would you go with the Triangle for a true apple to apple test drive for a before and after pertaining to the feel collected the night of the sale?" These are Predator copycats with some genuine changes, and if the results on my particular cues is even half as good as the test drive I made on the maker's cue that night, I'll be pleased. I was geared to send off one of my cues to the cuemaker and get a shaft made anyway, so basically this is a win-win on my part anyway you look at it,,,the second shaft was an impulse buy though.

I do install my own tips so a standard Triangle is not a problem, but the finished product being one of my Moori tips has the advantage of comparing this new shaft with the original shaft already equipped with a Moori H. Besides, it reduces my personal task of doing an install on a pristene, virgin ferrule. JUST possibly though the Triangle will play well even though I've been a Moori Hard tip user by choice for years.

Triangle install...compare the feel to the test drive on his cue. Moori, compare to the original shaft now in use. What would you do? I am leaning toward the original format of matching my main play cue with the Moori and the alternate cue, a Gilbert with the Triangle, but y'all might think differently. The Moori going on immediately will also be a tip I'll most likely never cut off for a change back to a Triangle latter unless it develops a problem of it's own.

Thoughts? sid

Billy_Bob
08-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Get an old cue, your own tip replacement tools, then try all sorts of different brands of tips. Then try different hardness of tips. Then try different tip shapes (dime, nickel, quarter).

Then when you find the exact tip, hardness, and shape you prefer, stick with it forever.

It seems to me a lot of players have trouble when they change things - new cue, new different shaft, new different tip, etc.

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Been there and done that. I came to the Moori by choice after many, many MANY tip transfers, but I'll admit that I am a little "preppy minded" about the Moori tips, a groupie by some opinions. My point in the post was that the test drive I made on the maker's demo cue was with a Triangle, which played nicely. Sorry in advance if I misinterpreted your advice...sid~~~has stock of probably close to 10 different tips after all of the experimentation

SPetty
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Sid,

Does this shaft have a name? Is it made locally?

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I will send you a PM.

Sid