PDA

View Full Version : one year ago today (and a thank you)

sack316
08-17-2005, 07:36 AM
What would have been many hours ago on this date last year I added one more huge mess up to the pile of them I accumulated over a course of 2 or so years. I found myself in the hospital after a bad wreck drinking and driving in which I easily could have killed 5 other people in another car. A few days later I came on here and informed all of my friends I'd be away for a while to go to treatment.
And now this evening I will be picking up my one year chip. I felt I should come on here and extend my infinite gratitude to all of you on the CCB. When I got back from rehab, the replies and messages showing support and encouragement overwhelmed me. To this day I am amazed at how many people that do not actually know me persoanlly in a physical sense could show so much caring and compassion. Many of you had been through the same things and had some awesome advice to pass on to me. So although none of you were sitting in a treatment center, or AA meeting with me in person, I do know that I credit all of you here for helping me to make it this far. I know it isn't something I could have done on my own, and it has taken each and every person in my life to bring me here.
So to all of my friends here on the CCB, I simply cannot thank you enough for taking time out of your busy lives in order to help save mine. Thank you and I love you all!
Sack

Barbara
08-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Sack,

Congrats! That's a big milestone! Just one day at a time.

Barbara

eg8r
08-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Congrats on turing things around.

Keep on keeping on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Congratulations! I also found the same support, encouragement, and love from this group during my hospital stay earlier this year. I am so thankful for this great bunch of people, more than they will ever know.

DG

Deeman2
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Sack,

It takes a lot of personal courage to do what you ahve done. We have lost a couple of great guys from CCB this year and don't need to lose another.

Great milestone for all of us to admire.

Deeman

cueball1950
08-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Sack, welcome home my friend. glad to see that you have made that long journey back and have landed succesfully. Savor that 1 year chip and go on to the next chip with all our support and care........................................mike

theinel
08-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Congratulations! You deserve a huge pat on the back for making it a full year. Be sure not to let yourself relax your guard. One of the easiest times to backslide is just after reaching a milestone.

Keep up the good work.

DickLeonard
08-18-2005, 05:38 AM
Sack I am sorry that I missed your post but I congratulate on your one year pin. Keep up the your good work.####

Rich R.
08-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Congrats on your great accomplishment.
Keep up the good work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
08-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Way to go Sack, keep up the good work.

Congratulations!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Nice going on the one year of not drinking.....It's still one day at a time though.......
I gave up drinking for 7 years....then my friend retired and bought a sailboat. We'd be out for hours on the bay in the hot sun...then go to the "Rusty Scupper" for a coke. They served draught beer in a tapered iced glass...and after a few visits, I thought...hey, one beer ain't gonna hurt.
That was about ten years ....and ??? thousands of drinks ago.
Fortunately, I never go out to shoot pool and drink...unless my non-drinking friend is with me and driving.
That's the extent of my drinking though...when playing pool....I may have a Guiness "record" for winning bar and league tournaments, while legally drunk....
My point is.....don't have that first one....but I know that you know that.....good luck with your continued sobriety...."one day at...."

Gayle in MD
08-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Dear Sack,
How very brave you are. You have my admiration, and very best wishes for your continued success.

Love,
Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
thank you Gayle for your nice comments (as well as all of you), but I must be honest and say that bravery has nothing to do with it. It was the disease and stupidity that got me to that point, and it was fear that brought me to the clean life. it was finally to the point of either life or death, and the death part may have been my own or somebody else's life who I risked on a daily basis. When my eyes finally saw that for a brief moment my parents helped me to seek help for myself. That's a debt I can never repay, but only do my best to help others out there now that are where I was.
I just didn't want y'all to think I was this brave guy (personally I reserve that word for folks such as Chris) who brought down an evil giant, I'm simply a sick person who is lucky enough to finally be taking his medicine.
Again, thank you all for your encouraging comments, and all the help you have been to me through all the hard times I've shared with this forum over the years. You are an extention of my family, and I love you all as such!

onepocketfanatic
08-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Congratulations on one hear *hug*. "But by the grace of God" I found the program several years ago. Keep going to meetings (the most important meeting to attend the one that you don't want to go to), meeting with your sponsor, helping others, and continue to keep spiritually fit. Just like the book says, the best years are ahead of you! If the years ahead of you are just half as good as mine have been,you will have found a bit of heaven here on earth. Congratulaions again on the one year!!

MosconiJr
08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
That's great Sac. Let go out and have a beer to celebrate /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Just kidding. Congrats.

MJr