PDA

View Full Version : giving up pool for 3C?

ryushen21
08-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I am sure that there have been several posts like this before. Over the last couple of days i have been getting a lot of time playing 3C and general carom games. And in all honesty i have found myself having a higher preference for 3C and carom.

Today was the first time that i have played 3C and pocket billiards in the same day. I found that playing had changed siginificantly from having played 3C so much. I was even able to execute several 3 rail shots with ease. I can see how it has supplemented some shotmaking abilities in my pocket billiard games, but i honestly think that i am beginning to prefer 3C to pocket billiard games.

Any of you guys ever gone through something like this before. I've switched main games before but never something this drastic.

Cane
08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
ryushen, Unfortunately, there are no 3C tables within 125 miles of me. Closest one is in Tulsa, OK. I wish I had one close to play on. I've always thought that if a player were proficient at 3c, then he'd HAVE to have better cue ball control playing pocket billiard games... not to mention, a good 3C player would probably be a LOT harder to play safe on than someone who did not play or know the game.

In other words, I'm jealous. Wish I had a table around here so I'd have the oppurtunity to play a little 3c from time to time. Good luck with it, and by the next time we play, I'll have a whole new line of safeties figured out for you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
08-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Jim(you met him at SPetty's) has a past history in 3c and you've seen him play the rails in pocket billiards. Honestly if I was going to add a game today it would be carom, but the tables are simply difficult to find handy. My kicking game bites where-as Jim's hits are full and either close to being made or do go in, plus his resultant CB residence for safeties are deadly IMO. I attribute that skill all to his 3C experience. It is a fun game but a little "flat" not having any dropped balls like pocket billiards. I'd always miss those 6 holes in the long run of things, couldn't totally give up a good game of 9-ball...sid

DickLeonard
08-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Cane, Playing three cushions and billiards the right way makes one a better kicker at nineball. Learning the Diamond System teaches one to tell if the table runs long or short in one minute provided that one can controll the cueball.
Remember the sum of the two long rails tells you the cueball's location. The only problem is the diamond at the sidepockets, you must avoid them. If you placed the cueball in the corner pocket and hit the opposite diamond three with running English it should hit Diamond # two and scratch in the oppositte corner. 3+2 equals 5 your cueball starting point. If it hits long rail it is running long and if it hits the short rail it is playing short.

Playing straightrail billiards teaches you to control the outcome when your cueball collides with the objectball. Joe Canton who I learned my pool from would play the same last 5 balls 60 % of the time. Then it dawned on me that he was just repeating it over and over again. I started to pay close attention and he would billiard the balls into their location if they weren't there already. When he broke open the balls he was always with an out shot because he controlled the Billiard. We have lost the game of Billiards but the Europeans still have the game.####

Fran Crimi
08-18-2005, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr>
Any of you guys ever gone through something like this before. I've switched main games before but never something this drastic. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. I live in a carom town so there's easy access to great tables here as well as great players to learn from so I gave it a shot. I really enjoyed playing when I first started. I think the reason was because I had no expectations for myself. That allowed me to just enjoy the game, especially after getting a couple of decent runs. But as with anything else, time passes and you start to expect more from yourself, and that's where the trouble started for me. Better players told me that people playing 3C for 5 years were considered "new" at the game. Yikes. Most of the time you're missing shots and over time it can get like Chinese water torture. Miss miss miss miss.

However, I do know some players who made the switch to 3C and never looked back so I guess it's a personal preference thing.

I had a converstaion with Blomdahl this past weekend and he told me he plays both carom and pool. I was really surprised to hear that. He said he plays tournament level pool, he's even played pool against Efren, and he switches back and forth all the time.

Maybe you'll enjoy playing both games.

Fran

Sid_Vicious
08-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Fran...That reminds me of a story. Deno Andrews was here in Dallas some years back, and we wrangled him info playing in the Sunday night 9-ball tourament at Skillman. Before he began the competition, he got on his cell and unknowing to us at the time called Gerda and asked her for advice on how to play, According to Deno she had two words of advice spoken in her unique way of speaking, "get oUT!" It was priceless at the time to hear his repeat of the way she said it, plus it had such depth in it's simplicity. He played a good game though, fun as hell!!!sid

ryushen21
08-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Cane... i know exactly what you mean. For the longest time i wasn't even aware that there were 3C places in my area. My friend only recently introduced me to them and none of them are places that i would wonder into alone. But the tables are decent and it provides me a good place to learn and build up my 3C skills.

So far it has helped out a lot with my pool games. I can see more lines and options on shots. I really think that has been the greatest benefit. After a while you just start seeing the lines and you know exactly what to do. It's really great feeling. On only my second or third day of playing i was able to string together a 3 point run in 3C. I was happy with that.

I hope we get the chance to play before i head out of the country.

08-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Blomdahl wasn't just flappin' his gums, Fran. When Ewa and Jimmy Mataya hosted him as their house-guest in Michigan, Jimmy couldn't beat him at 9-ball on the Matayas' basement table! (They broke even.) And, more recently, when he was here for a prestigious 3-C tournament, the house asked him to play a few games with Marco Marquez, and he won more racks than he lost. I understand he plays top-level snooker too. By the way, how ya doin'? GF

Fran Crimi
08-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Georgie, all's well on this end. Aren't you due for a trip to NY? Come and hang out for a few. You can whoop me in straight pool and I'll beat ya senseless in 9 Ball.

Funny story about Blomdahl and Mataya. I forgot to mention I asked him what he thought of Efren's 3-C game. He said, "decent." That's quite a compliment coming from him.

Fran

JPB
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Sure, this happened to me when I lived in Denver. I started playing billiards and loved it. There were good tables around. The good billiard players were willing to help and would play pasttime games. It really is a different attitude. But school, life, marriage, job, etc... got in the way and I gave up all cue sports for 10 years. There are no tables where I live now. Only enough room in my house for a pool table. I only get to play billiards occasionally. Oh well. My dream house will have both a billiard table and a pool table. I am a bad billiard player, but the game is fun. When you run 5 all frustration is forgotten for a while.

ceebee
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Maybe you are just going through a phase. You know what I mean... like driving a new car, like the 1st two weeks in school, like a new cue, like a new girlfriend, like a new apartment... they are just new &amp; that always adds some spice.... unti the hum drum sets in.

I like 3C too, they have one at the Palace. My pool buddies will play for 15 minutes &amp; say. "I don't like this silly game" &amp; want to quit. When I show them how a player can use the diamonds &amp; english to hit the ball ... they think I'm just lucky or they will say, "who has time to count diamonds"?

Any way, it won't hurt you to learn as many games as you can, they are all somewhat inter-related.

theinel
08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
ryushen, I've gone through this several times. There is something very relaxing about not having to pocket balls that keeps me coming back to 3C. My love for 3C comes and then fades largely due to the lack of players. I can only enjoy playing by myself for so long before heading back to pool for a while. I've also fallen in love with snooker a few time over the years but the only real snooker table (6x12 with nap cloth) in my area was removed recently.

3C is definitely a great game in and of itself and it will dramatically improve your kicking and kick safeties in pool. If you haven't yet, get ahold of the "Billiard Atlas" series by Walt Harris. There are hundreds of systems that will help in 3C and translate well to pool.