PDA

View Full Version : Felt/Cushion Replacement

cmoore
08-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Newbie here with an 8' Brunswick Table. The table is almost 7 years old and in need of new cushions and felt. Actually I can live with the felt for a while but one of my cushions is toast. I spoke with my local dealer a few days ago and was quoted almost 700.00 for replacement of the cloth and the cushions. I was a bit discouraged by the price. Has anyone on this forum tackled this job DIY at home? Thank you in advance for your help/suggestions. I apologize if this subject has already been covered.

mworkman
08-18-2005, 06:04 AM
I've done many tables and I reccommend you spend the time to learn how to do it yourself. You said your cushion was toast? What's wrong with it? Maybe it just needs to be re-glued. 7 years is too soon to have a cushion go bad. Unless you have soo much money that you don't know what to do with it, I wouldn't spend $700.00. You can get Simonis for an 8' table on ebay for about $160.00. I like Championship Tour Edition (24oz.) that you can get a little cheaper then that.

BLACKHEART
08-18-2005, 06:12 AM
1st of all, you made everyone here scream when you said the word "FELT". Felt goes under a table lamp, to keep it from scratching an end table & "CLOTH" goes on a pool table. The rubber on a Brunswick table should last at least 25 years. Are you sure the rubber has not come loose from the wooden rail. If so, they just need to be glued back into place & your good to go. By the way that's why you don't let anyone SIT, on the edge of a pool table. You can tell if the rubber is loose, because when a ball hits, it will be dead. Take the rail or rails off, that are bad & look at them, if it seems like too big of a job, take them into the dealers & have them reattach the ruber & put the SAME CLOTH BACK ON. If all of them were bad I'd say you're looking at a $100 bill...JER

cmoore
08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
mworkman and BLACKHEART, thank you for the replies. Sorry about the terminology faux pas. I really did mean cloth replacement. The cushion that is bad has basically gone almost rock hard. All of the other cushions have a nice rubber bounce. The balls just kind of clunck off of the bad one. You can feel the difference when you press on the bad cushion with your finger. One of the guys at my local dealer said it was odd that a cushion would go bad like that after 7 years. He even mentioned a 20 to 25 year cushion life. Another guy at the same dealer said that 6 or 7 years was normal. He probably smelled a warranty claim coming. This sounds like something that I want to try and do myself. I have been wanting to upgrade the "cloth" anyway. Any suggestions on cushions? If I am going to do this it will be with the best. Thank you very much for your suggestions and your help.

Cueless Joey
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Changing the cloth is relatively easy.
Removing the rubber and replacing them is relatively easy since Brunswick has the aligning groove in the subrails.
Cutting the pocket facing/angles of the rubber is not that easy.
Brunswick imported from Asia cushions get hard really fast. 7 years would be normal. You can send the rails to Olhausen or some other manufacturer to get the cushions replaced.
Or, you could contact Brunswick and really ask them why their cushions are not guaranteed for life while Olhausen's is. Maybe, they'd back it up.

cmoore
08-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Cueless, thanks for the reply. I have already sent an e-mail to Brunswick about the cushion. We will see if they respond with any suggestions about how to make it right. Seems to me that 6 or 7 years is an awful short cushion life when their competitors warrant there cushions for life.

dad8
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Did you purchase the table new from a Brunswick dealer 7 years ago or did you get the table used.Brunswick does offer a life time warranty on there cushions to the original owner.Read the warranty close warranty's do not transfer to 2nd hand owneners.Not on Brunswick or Olhausen.Also find me where it says brunswick cushions are not under there warranty.And for cluelessjoey the rubber Olhausen uses in there cushions comes from Asia its formed in the US.

Bob_Jewett
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr>... Brunswick does offer a life time warranty on there cushions to the original owner.Read the warranty close warranty's do not transfer to 2nd hand owneners.... <hr /></blockquote>
So far as I know, this doesn't apply to commercial rooms. At least four rooms around here have replaced rubber on most of their Brunswick GC3s at their own expense. Cushions should last decades, not a few years. And I doubt that home tables have a lifetime rubber warranty.

The problem here is the same as the original poster -- cushions go rock hard. It's really embarassing to lag for the break and have the cue ball end between the side pockets.

I wonder if Brunswick cares.

dad8
08-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Brunswick has never had a warranty on there tables in a commercial setting on any table including the gold crown.But if you put that gold crown or any other table they produce in your home it has a life time garanty on everything but the cloth and the pockets.And the warranty only applies to the person that purchased the table new from a Brunswick authorized dealer.The same warranty applies on Olhausen tables aswell. Don't think READ

Bob_Jewett
08-18-2005, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> ... Don't think READ <hr /></blockquote>
I'd be glad to, dad8. Is there somewhere on the Brunswick site that discusses warranty coverage? I looked in all the obvious places there and could find nothing. Thanks for your help.

wolfdancer
08-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Bob, Pat Sheehan had an interesting article on why all the bad cushion rubber
web page (http://www.onthebreaknews.com/) back issue
Seems the formulation for the amount of added sulphur was incorrect?

cmoore
08-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Who knows if I sent in the warranty card on this table. There is nothing on Brunswick's web site about what they do and do not warrant.

I did shop around and found a local guy that is going to do the cushions and cloth for a reasonable price. He said he has seen a bunch of hard cushions. I am going to use this cloth replacement as a learning exercise. Maybe next time I can do it myself. Thank you all for your help.

dad8
08-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Brunswick Billiards("Brunswick")hereby warrants that its pool tables and furniture will be free from defects in materials and workmanship of either the life of the pool table or for one year after the purchase of furniture with the original owner("owner").Brunswick agrees,at its sole option,with no charge to Owner,to repair,replace,or refund the cost of any and all parts determined to be defective,either in material or workmanship,by Brunswick.
This warranty does not aplly to:
Normal wear &amp; tear,defects or damage due to accident,alteration,abuse,misuse,dropping or natuarl disaster,neglect,or failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance;demonstartion tables or furniture,floor samples,and non commercial tables used in an institutional or commercial setting.

Bob_Jewett
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> Brunswick Billiards("Brunswick")hereby warrants that its pool tables and furniture will be free from defects in materials and workmanship of either the life of the pool table or for one year after the purchase of furniture with the original owner("owner").... <hr /></blockquote>

OK, so I called up a dealer and asked him about the warranty on Gold Crown cushions, like if they were going dead. He said there is no warranty on cushions. I have no idea where you got what you quoted, but it seems to be out of date.

tateuts
08-19-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> Brunswick Billiards("Brunswick")hereby warrants that its pool tables and furniture will be free from defects in materials and workmanship of either the life of the pool table or for one year after the purchase of furniture with the original owner("owner").... <hr /></blockquote>

OK, so I called up a dealer and asked him about the warranty on Gold Crown cushions, like if they were going dead. He said there is no warranty on cushions. I have no idea where you got what you quoted, but it seems to be out of date. <hr /></blockquote>

I can see where the cushions would fall under the "normal wear and tear" exclusions like belts, hoses, and brake pads on cars.

Chris

(Ps. I was amazed when Audi replaced my brake pads and rotors free on my car under the warantee. Great coverage.)

dad8
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
I am the Brunswick retailer in Atlanta.And also happen to be Brunswicks number 3 top dealer in the US.We also are a top 5 dealer for Connelly Billiards.Does it say anywhere in Brunswick warranty that the cushions are not warranted for life with the rest of the table.exempt pockets and cloth. NO!

Rangercap
08-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Try these guys...

http://www.bestbilliard.com/

I purchased a used 70's-ish Brunswick table, and the rubber was rock hard, no action what so ever. The felt, was truly 'felt' and was litterly like a shag rug. I purchased new rubber, and Simonis 860. They have a re-felt kit available with everything you need. I took the rails off (the better part of a day) with a lot of Goof Off (that stuff works wonders) and followed the downloadable instructions. Cloth was easy, just buy an electric stapler. If you screw up the tension, its only staples, just pull 'em out and do it again. Plus, you can cut/shim your pockets tight, and it will really help your game. Plus it a great learning experience, and I saved close to 350 bucks w/o having the "pro" who set up my table do it. I did purchase a 10" machinists level from Grizzly, and fixed level job the movers did. Table is awesome now.

bb

Bob_Jewett
08-19-2005, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> I am the Brunswick retailer in Atlanta.And also happen to be Brunswicks number 3 top dealer in the US.We also are a top 5 dealer for Connelly Billiards.Does it say anywhere in Brunswick warranty that the cushions are not warranted for life with the rest of the table.exempt pockets and cloth. NO! <hr /></blockquote>

Well, that's not what the local dealer said, and I think it's not the experience of the commercial rooms in this area from the comments the room owners have made to me. It might help if Brunswick would put this info up on their web site.

This brings us back to the original poster. The local dealer was going to charge him $700 to replace the cushions and recloth the table. It sounds like he was the original owner. Isn't $700 a lot to charge to recloth a table, assuming the cushions are done for free?

dad8
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
We charge 550.00 for rerubber recover 300.00 for recover with 21oz championship cloth. Simonis add about 200.00 for the cost of the cloth.If I where him I'd do the rerubber my self to cut cost Its not hard to rerubber a table.There'salot of good info in this chat room on how to rerubber a table.