PDA

View Full Version : Level table or Cheap Balls?

quelicin
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I just purchased a pool table and had it professionally installed. I got an accessory package with the table which included the balls, cues, etc... While playing, it appears that the table is not level because at the end of the ball roll there is sometimes movement of the ball. I have placed the level all over the table in multiple directions and places and it appears to be level, the bubble is dead center. Could this be the balls? or is it possible that the table is still not level, even though the bubble is dead center in the level. Also, the table is new, not used with 19oz fast play felt. Any ideas?

ras314
08-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Also could be trash on the cloth or the cloth stretched unevenly. Pieces of chalk left from chalking a tip over the table sure cause this, one of my favorite gripes.

Try to check the table with a machinist level, most other levels are not sensitive enough.

Try spinning the balls by hand, sometimes they can be so out of balance or out of round you can see the wobble.

If you have good fast cloth everything has to be near perfect for a ball to stop rolling without an odd movement at the end of the roll.

SnakebyteXX
08-18-2005, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr> or is it possible that the table is still not level, even though the bubble is dead center in the level. <hr /></blockquote>

For a cheap alternative to a mechanics level - Take a small (12" X 12" X 1/4") piece of glass. Place it on the part of the table that you think may be out of level then place one of your pool balls in the center of the glass. Hold a finger on top of the ball untiI you're certain that it is absolutely still. Then let go - if the ball rolls off the glass - you may have a problem. Try this a couple of times using different balls each time. If the ball(s) roll off in the same direction each time - depending on the speed of their roll and the direction of the roll you'll know that there's a levelling issue and just how severe it might be.

Hope this helps.

Snake

ras314
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr> or is it possible that the table is still not level, even though the bubble is dead center in the level. <hr /></blockquote>

For a cheap alternative to a mechanics level - Take a small (12" X 12" X 1/4") piece of glass. Place it on the part of the table that you think may be out of level then place one of your pool balls in the center of the glass. Hold a finger on top of the ball untiI you're certain that it is absolutely still. Then let go - if the ball rolls off the glass - you may have a problem. Try this a couple of times using different balls each time. If the ball(s) roll off in the same direction each time - depending on the speed of their roll and the direction of the roll you'll know that there's a levelling issue and just how severe it might be.

Hope this helps.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>
ouch! I've tried leveling a table that way once, can drive you crazy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But it sure will tell you which way is "downhill".

I've found with the Starrett level the bubble one division off is pretty good. That's supposed to be about .005 inch/ft IIRC.