PDA

View Full Version : billy burge (cornbread red)

vinnie717
08-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey i bought the book about billy burge and read some UNBELIVEABLE stories about him.i would like to know if he was really a world class one pocket and 9 ball player. Never hear much about him.And was anyone lucky enough to see him play.who could u compare him to in todays game.

theinel
08-19-2005, 01:07 AM
I read that book too and would like to see him play but no one that I know ever saw him. I hear that there is footage of him playing when he was older but I haven't been able to get ahold of any yet.

freddythebeard
08-19-2005, 05:12 AM
No book could do Corn-Bread-Red justice, including mine. However, here is an excerpt from my upcoming bk. The GosPool According To The Beard:

Shooting At The Money-Ball For The Big-Cheese:
[i]"Corn-Bread Red," who played as high as anybody, was one of my heroes. Whenever I was around him, we hung out the whole time. I was totally fascinated by him. I followed him everywhere but into the bathroom. Red, when confronted with the big-cheese-money-ball, would snort derisively at his opponent, "Haw, haw," in his inimitable style. He would then increase his normally long back stroke about another foot, and slip-stroke the shot in, with dust flying out of the back of the pocket.

Corn-Bread-Red, According to the Beard

vinnie717
08-19-2005, 08:36 AM
if u do get ahold of it put me down for one too.

Vagabond
08-21-2005, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> Hey i bought the book about billy burge and read some UNBELIVEABLE stories about him.i would like to know if he was really a world class one pocket and 9 ball player. Never hear much about him.And was anyone lucky enough to see him play.who could u compare him to in todays game. <hr /></blockquote>

hi,
I played him and he beat me out of few fish heads.He was a legendary one pocket player and also a legendary money player. I chukle when I think of him.one time he called me a thief and I should be ashamed of myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PQQLK9
08-21-2005, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> I read that book too and would like to see him play but no one that I know ever saw him. I hear that there is footage of him playing when he was older but I haven't been able to get ahold of any yet. <hr /></blockquote>

I have a tape of Cornbread playing one pocket against Strawberry. The tape was shot with a fixed camera and no audio. Pm me with your address and I will make you a copy.

Vagabond
08-21-2005, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote vinnie717:</font><hr> Hey i bought the book about billy burge and read some UNBELIVEABLE stories about him.i would like to know if he was really a world class one pocket and 9 ball player. Never hear much about him.And was anyone lucky enough to see him play.who could u compare him to in todays game. <hr /></blockquote>

hi,
I played him and he beat me out of few fish heads.He was a legendary one pocket player and also a legendary money player. I chukle when I think of him.one time he called me a thief and I should be ashamed of myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif [/quot

little clarification: He misunderstood me.I am not a thief/crook. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif