PDA

View Full Version : I'm not playing with you any more!

Billy_Bob
08-19-2005, 08:52 AM
I played 8-ball with my best friend for several hours the other day, but forgot to let him win a few games every now and then. So he only won two games.

When we played the last game. I shot in my last 3 balls leaving perfect position for each subsequent shot (I'm learning this cue ball "steering" business). Then on my next to last shot, the CB comes back, knocks my friends ball out of the way and stops for a perfect shot for the 8-ball into the side. My friend says...

"Whatever! I'm not playing with you any more. You're being mean to me!"

But he left his cue and his chalk holder at my house, so I guess he doesn't really mean it?

BANKS77
08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
When I play socially with non pool playing friends or those who can't sink a ball I always remember that it's just social not pool. I never play full speed, never run more than a rack instead I play a lot of banks and fancy shots. Since most of this type play 8 ball many times I'll play last pocket and they can have any pocket. I'll never forget back in college one friend who I played weekly beat me one day. He went bragging all over campus. The next week I proceeded to run the first 7 racks in a row. He got the message but we didn't play pool for another 8 years so I learned a lesson. Most of my friends know I can play so there is no need to pummel them on the table, just keep it social. There are plenty of animals to go at full bore on down at the pool rooml.

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
If the wife and daughter decide to play, I play left handed to give them a chance. With friends, I keep it friendly.

DG

Rod
08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I could tell you a long story or two, but I won't. Just give your friend a spot. Hell, give him to much of an advantage, you'll learn at a faster rate. No more free wheeling, now you have to think. Up to the task?

Bank one or more balls to make it even. You play bank the 8. You play bank the 8 last pocket. Play one ball two or more rails. Just a few ideas. You'll learn how to bank. LOL

I play a friend where I bank every ball. I also play the same game but I bank the 8, 3 or more rails, with him just neding a single bank on the 8. This guy plays to good to just let him shoot it straight in. LOL All kinds of possibilities exist, work something out, no big deal. You'll both learn something in the process.

Rod

sneakypapi
08-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I tend to disagree to an extent on giving weight or not trying as hard to lesser players. I feel that sometimes playing a lesser skilled player brings my game down, maybe because in 8 ball I will run most of my balls then have a lot of traffic with the opponents balls left to go around. On the on other hand it is not fun to me play a lesser player as often, I prefer the challenge to play someone better than me. I don't like people who complain that they lose and cry and say "I don't want to play you anymore you always beat me" blah blah. I think they should take the challenge and learn some things about the game or get some pointers as they play a better player, this will help them develop. The bottom line is pool can be casual but what is the point of just banging away unless you are drunk of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Billy_Bob
08-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Well guess who showed up to play pool last night?

My friend came back for more punishment! So we played 9-ball this time and I took all his jellybeans. Then I had to loan him some money before he left.

This is an experiment... I'll see if he returns quickly or takes a long time to come back.

If he returns quickly, then I'll keep playing my best game.

If he takes a long time to return, then I'll let him win most of the games.

BillPorter
08-22-2005, 05:01 AM
I guess you didn't like Rod's suggestion of giving your friend enough weight to make the game even? I thought it was an excellent suggestion, and I'll tell you why. Two of my close pool friends play bank together often, but one of them rarely wins more than a game or two in a session. Hey, it's a mismatch; one of them is probably 3-4 balls better than the other. The weaker player in this scenario gets frustrated and you can tell he is often not enjoying getting trounced day after day. The better player has offered to give him a spot, but he is too proud to take it. I guess he thinks it's not manly or something, but I think he's crazy to keep playing such an uneven game. I've been on both sides of this scenario and I know first-hand that it's just not much fun to win 'em all or lose 'em all. And I don't think it is ever a good idea to play way below your true speed just to let a friend win. It sure doesn't help your own game to play sloppy, poor pool. So, the obvious solution is just what Rod pointed out---Be creative and come up with handicaps that make the game close to even. Even when you are playing your best. Friendships are more important than pool, at least to me, but I have seen a couple of friendships messed up because of this kind of stuff. I hope your friendship remains intact! Good luck.

Billy_Bob
08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr>...The better player has offered to give him a spot, but he is too proud to take it...<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, this is the case with my friend.

As for myself, I'm not proud at all. I'll take the best spot I can get, being as I have not played for 6 months, injured my hand and will not be able to shoot, am just learning the game, and you are such an excellent player and all, etc. so on, and so forth! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GeorgeV
08-22-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread got me to thinking: What spots are available playing 8-ball against a lesser player? In my younger days (I'm 50 now; played a lot as a teenager, gave it up around age 20 for 28 years; just got back into it last year.) Back then, I'd spot lesser players a certain number of balls, which was actually more of a hustle. I'd take their balls off the table to clear the path for me to run out. Assuming lesser players nowadays are a bit smarter and wouldn't fall for that hustle, what's a legitimate way to give weight playing 8-ball? I've been playing 9-ball mostly, and I understand the spots with it, but I just don't know about 8-ball. I can see games on the wire if playing a race as being one spot, but isn't 8-ball more of a single-game action? Any help here?

hondo
08-23-2005, 05:56 AM
A while back I played a good friend who had
been playing every day while I was slowly
coming back from a back injury. He destroyed
me in my game, one pocket, and then trashed
me in 8 ball. In the last game he had the 8 ball
straight in but banked it 3 rails in the side.
He looks at me and grins and says " You can't
say I didn't give you a chance that time."
I was humiliated and lost interest in playing
him any more. To this day he says he doesn't
see where he did anything wrong. Was I wrong
in taking it so personally?

Steve Lipsky
08-23-2005, 07:04 AM
There is a lot to be learned from both Rod's and Bill's posts in this thread.

I think the original poster also mentioned how, when the lower-ranked player beat him once, the whole poolroom found out about it immediately (from the lower-ranked player). I have no respect for that at all. It puts the better player into a no-win situation by playing in the first place (he wins, who cares... he loses, people four counties away get the wire).

There is an up-and-coming player in my room who I've been playing with lately. He'd never beaten me, but last week, he just stone-cold tortured me, 9-1. He really played great. But what impressed me most was that, as far as I know, he didn't tell anyone. I told people, because I was proud of him. But to me, it was mature of him to take it in stride, and it only makes me want to play with him more.

Sometimes it's the way a player conducts himself that can tell you if he's really committed to improving.

- Steve

aco76
08-23-2005, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeorgeV:</font><hr> This thread got me to thinking: What spots are available playing 8-ball against a lesser player? In my younger days (I'm 50 now; played a lot as a teenager, gave it up around age 20 for 28 years; just got back into it last year.) Back then, I'd spot lesser players a certain number of balls, which was actually more of a hustle. I'd take their balls off the table to clear the path for me to run out. Assuming lesser players nowadays are a bit smarter and wouldn't fall for that hustle, what's a legitimate way to give weight playing 8-ball? I've been playing 9-ball mostly, and I understand the spots with it, but I just don't know about 8-ball. I can see games on the wire if playing a race as being one spot, but isn't 8-ball more of a single-game action? Any help here?
<hr /></blockquote>

One good handicap would be to require your opponent to pot just 4 balls or so, while you must go for standard eight. Of course, no moving balls off the table, that's just a hustle.

I used to play like that with a friend who was just a beginner, but still won 80% or so games. I offered some more handicap, but he said he was embarrassed enough...

SnakebyteXX
08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> A while back I played a good friend who had
been playing every day while I was slowly
coming back from a back injury. He destroyed
me in my game, one pocket, and then trashed
me in 8 ball. In the last game he had the 8 ball
straight in but banked it 3 rails in the side.
He looks at me and grins and says " You can't
say I didn't give you a chance that time."
I was humiliated and lost interest in playing
him any more. To this day he says he doesn't
see where he did anything wrong. Was I wrong
in taking it so personally?
<hr /></blockquote>

The short answer is: "Yes". Based on your description you knew you were at a serious disadvantage from the start. He had been practicing regularly - you had not. You were recovering from a back injury that impacted your ability to play well - he was in good health.

Had you explained your situation to him prior to playing and asked for him to go easy on you and knowing this he chose not to - you might have a legitimate complaint. Sounds like all he did was give you his best game ending it with a three cushion coup de grace bank shot in lieu of the piece of cake straight in opportunity presented.

It can be very hard on one's ego to lose. But losing often brings with it the opportunity to learn something of value. As ego bruising as it might be losing to a better player can highlight the weaknesses in your game and show you up close and personally what you need to be working on to improve.

If what you learned from losing to your friend was that you were out of practice and still not fully recovered from your back injury - consider it a lesson learned and move on.

Blaming him for your shortcomings or limitations is a waste of time and energy. It's really not up to him to make improvements here - it's up to you.

Snake &lt;~~~ believes that losing is a fact of life - it's what you learn from it that counts.

hondo
08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I appreciate your response. But... he did know
my situation. I think he would rather beat me than
have sex. This summer I have been playing regularly
and kicking his butt.( very humbly I might add)
My point in the post was having him rub my nose
in it with the 3 rail bank. Would you do that to
a friend who you know is a pretty good player
ordinarily.

Billy_Bob
08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr>...My point in the post was having him rub my nose in it with the 3 rail bank. Would you do that to
a friend who you know is a pretty good player ordinarily. <hr /></blockquote>

I would not. Before I had my own table, I did not appreciate it any when another player would run the table time and again and never give me a shot. I was ticked at this because I needed practice and was not getting any practice watching them run the table. So I like to give other players chances to shoot in their balls. This way they can have some practice at least. And if they improve, I'll have stiffer competition in the future - a good thing for me.

I would rather win (when playing for fun) after I have given my opponent an opportunity to win. If they mess up on a shot or two they should have made, then I like to go ahead and win at that point. This teaches them to be careful and not miss! And I like it when other players do the same to me. If I miss a shot I should have made, then cremate me!

And when playing beginning players, I let them have lots of shots. They know I am doing this and they appreciate it.

After I win a match, I shake the other players hand and say good game. After I lose a match, I shake the other players hand and say good game. I've had plenty of wins and plenty of losses. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. No big deal.

When I get a new trophy to place on my wall, I place it there, but I don't point it out to anyone nor do I tell anyone about it (other than my dad or non-pool playing neighbors). They can see it there. I guess I spend more time asking how other players are doing and telling them they are doing well, etc. A lot of other players are interested in how *they* are doing, not how well I am doing.

I'm on a league team which regularly wins 1st place locally, but I don't usually tell my pool playing friends we won 1st unless they ask. Same thing if I win 1st in a money tournament.

hondo
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Good post. Again I want to point out that I am not
a beginning player. I have played for 40 years and
this guy and I are 2 of the top 4 one hole players
in town when we are both at the top of our game.
This is what made his behavior so humiliating to me.

I would not. Before I had my own table, I did not appreciate it any when another player would run the table time and again and never give me a shot. I was ticked at this because I needed practice and was not getting any practice watching them run the table. So I like to give other players chances to shoot in their balls. This way they can have some practice at least. And if they improve, I'll have stiffer competition in the future - a good thing for me.

I would rather win (when playing for fun) after I have given my opponent an opportunity to win. If they mess up on a shot or two they should have made, then I like to go ahead and win at that point. This teaches them to be careful and not miss! And I like it when other players do the same to me. If I miss a shot I should have made, then cremate me!

And when playing beginning players, I let them have lots of shots. They know I am doing this and they appreciate it.

After I win a match, I shake the other players hand and say good game. After I lose a match, I shake the other players hand and say good game. I've had plenty of wins and plenty of losses. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. No big deal.

When I get a new trophy to place on my wall, I place it there, but I don't point it out to anyone nor do I tell anyone about it (other than my dad or non-pool playing neighbors). They can see it there. I guess I spend more time asking how other players are doing and telling them they are doing well, etc. A lot of other players are interested in how *they* are doing, not how well I am doing.

I'm on a league team which regularly wins 1st place locally, but I don't usually tell my pool playing friends we won 1st unless they ask. Same thing if I win 1st in a money tournament.
<hr /></blockquote>