PDA

View Full Version : Carom Shots

quelicin
08-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I have yet to master the carom shot. Does anyone have any instruction on how to execute the carom properly?

ras314
08-20-2005, 02:57 PM
A good start would be to read all of Dr Dave's stuff on the 30 and 90 deg rules. BTW he didn't invent those ideas, but he sure has spent a lot of time explaining them.

Click on his name for acess to all of his posts.

HTH

ryushen21
08-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I assume that you are talking about just a standard carom shot in a pocket billiard game and not 3C. AS the best i understand it, you havo to learn how to see the natural line that the cue ball will take after contact with the first ball. Once you figure those lines out then you start applying english in order to change that natural path in order to contact another ball after that.

I hav ebeen playing a lot of carom billiards and 3C lately and that is the method that i have been using. And it works pretty well for me.

Sid_Vicious
08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Take the point where the first OB would drive right into the secondary OB like if you were shooting those two balls without the CB, then line the cue stick using center ball, no top-follow-left-right, at that contact point(it'll be a point on the backside of the first OB in most cases) BUT I STRESS, mentally move that first OB point you found earlier a smidgen "fat", inside, whatever you wish to vizualize and hit that mark. The resin composite pool balls today require that adjustment due to their response. Works for me. I have found that it gets easy to drop down and find that point quickly over time with this system. Things change though if you need any kind of off center CB hit at all, then it becomes instinct...sid

dr_dave
08-22-2005, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> A good start would be to read all of Dr Dave's stuff on the 30 and 90 deg rules. BTW he didn't invent those ideas, but he sure has spent a lot of time explaining them.

Click on his name for acess to all of his posts.<hr /></blockquote>
FYI, here are some specific resources that might help with aiming carom and billiard shots:

- March '04 and June '04 instructional articles on using the 90 and 30 degree rules to aim carom shots (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html)

- online video demonstrations NV 7.2-7.4 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html)

Regards,
Dr. Dave

Billy_Bob
08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I was playing 9-ball the other day, there as an easy combo to shoot the 4 ball into the 9 to make the 9 in the corner. I had a difficult shot on the 3 to leave the cue ball in a good position to shoot the 4 combo straight on, and I messed this up. So now I needed to shoot the combo from the side rather than straight on.

Well no problem! I simply used Dr. Dave's 90 degree rule, shot the 4 ball with draw, then the cue ball followed the tangent and smacked the 9 into the corner pocket! (Thanks again Dr. Dave!)

Carom Practice: Break all 15 balls, then shoot at each ball (rather than cue ball). Shoot the ball into the cue ball so the ball caroms off the cue ball, then goes into a pocket.

Get Dr. Dave's DVD and study it like there is no tomorrow. Diagram and practice each shot. If you're going to watch it like a move, then don't get it. Dr. Daves DVD...
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/dvd_description.html

quelicin
08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will look over Dr. Daves 90 and 30 degree rules and see what happens. LatER.