PDA

View Full Version : I was THIS close to the State Championship

Fred Agnir
08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
I felt compelled to brag, since I had such a great time yesterday at the New Hampshire State 8-ball Championship held at the wonderful McCue's in Keene, NH.

McCue's has a full kitchen, a large bar, and two table areas. One has 4 sturdy 9' Connelly tables (Chiracahua?) separated by a wall from the bar area. The other area has 14 of the same tables, each having about 6' of space between tables. So, nobody was sitting on another table when shooting with the ball on the cushion.

The tables played with good speed, and were tight like all Connellys. The unfortunate part is that like many new Connellys, the pocket iron and the pocket leather tang spit balls out, even on medium or soft shots directly down the throat. That was pretty frustrating. Because the tables were very tight, there weren't a ton of full-table runouts until the final handful of players.

Anyway, the caveat to the "state championship" was that no pros and no Joss Tour cashers could enter. So, it's more of an amateur title, with most of the players being high handicappers from the VNEA, BCA, ACS, and APA leagues. 59 Players from NY, VT, NH, MA, CT and maybe RI and ME were in attendance.

The long and short is that although I started very poorly and could have easily gone two and out, I got stronger and stronger until I feel I was shooting in the top three. And I got rewarded for it by making it to the King of the Hill match, losing 5-4 in a thrilling match. I'll post on a particular game separately. I went to the loser's side and snuck out another thrilling one, 5-3. I then lost 5-3 in the first set of the final match to Keene native, DJ Hopkins, and that was that.

One greater thing about this tournament was that usually, when I'm in the finals of a tournament, there is virtually nobody left around to watch. But, many of the players stayed, and many of the patrons formed a seating venue, as if this was a televised match. The media was there taking photos for the newspaper. And after every game, the crowd applauded resoundingly.

Best part for me... I didn't blow up or dog the match. DJ was clearly playing the best, and I put up a good show. Many of the patrons were telling us that they never saw pool live played at that level and were amazed. Aw... shucks.

Regards,

Fred Agnir, NH State 8-ball Championship Runner-Up

woody_968
08-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Congrats Fred!

Sounds like you had a great experience.

Rich R.
08-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Congrats on a great finish Fred. It is obvious that you played very well.

I'm guessing here, but, I bet you were distracted by light reflecting off the head of someone in the crowd. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
08-22-2005, 06:50 AM
That's awesome, Fred! Keep up the great work.

I am just curious if you feel 8-ball is your best game? How's your 14.1?

Again, congrats! It really sounds like a terrific experience.

- Steve

eg8r
08-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Congrats on the great tournament.

eg8r

Billy
08-22-2005, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

Best part for me... I didn't blow up or dog the match. DJ was clearly playing the best, and I put up a good show. Many of the patrons were telling us that they never saw pool live played at that level and were amazed. Aw... shucks.

Regards,

Fred Agnir, NH State 8-ball Championship Runner-Up

<hr /></blockquote>

can't ask for much more if you were competitive

good showing ... nice addition to your resume as well

jmo

Fred Agnir
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> That's awesome, Fred! Keep up the great work.

I am just curious if you feel 8-ball is your best game? How's your 14.1?

Again, congrats! It really sounds like a terrific experience.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>Thanks Steve. It is my best game. I used to play 14.1 when I was first starting and credit a lot of my patterns and breakouts from those early years, but I don't have the patience for it. I've played less than a few dozen games of it, and have a high run of 68. I normally can't bust one out of 20, but I don't play it, and again, patience isn't me. Well, you've seen how excitable I can get LOL!

Fred

wolfdancer
08-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Fred, sounds like a great tournament for you...Congrats! It's disappointing to come that close....but second in a state championship is keen.

dg-in-centralpa
08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Congratulations Fred! You should come to PA in November for the State 8 Ball Championship. It's on bar boxes tho'. Great competition. Usually about 200 people. Like you, 8 ball is what I'm better at. Best of luck on the next one.

DG

sack316
08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
nice job and congrats Fred, the only thing is now you have another year to practice, and we're all gonna expect the big trophy out of you next time.

Terry
08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Great tournament Fred! I know that finishing second is never a really good feeling, but to finish second in a state championship gotta have you feeling good about your game. I finished second in our provincial intermediate championship in 2004 after having the hot seat and I was dissappointed at first but then after I had a little time to reflect I was proud of my accomplishment. You should be proud because your a finalist, Great Job. Terry

DickLeonard
08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Fred pretty soon you will thrive on the feeling of the finals. You will become addicted, then watch out pool World. ####

John in NH
08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi Fred,

Congratulations on a great finish, and it appears like you had a great time also! good for you.

Regards,

John

randyg
08-23-2005, 05:52 AM
My hero is a runnerup. Great job Fred. Did you SPF your way there?....randyg

Fred Agnir
08-23-2005, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Did you SPF your way there?....randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Of course. Wouldn't go to a tournament without it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred

Jimmy B
08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Congrats Fred, Nice "almost" title.
Just remember second is the first loser.:-P

JB