PDA

View Full Version : Vacuuming table cloth???

quelicin
08-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I have read on numerous posts that people vacuum their cloth. I was told by someone to never vacuum the cloth, only to brush it occasionally and not to brush it every day. Which is right??? Vacuum or Don't Vacuum, Brush Occasionaly or Brush Daily? Let me know your thoughts. LatER.

SnakebyteXX
08-24-2005, 05:03 AM
When my home table was installed I was told by a table mechanic with forty years of experience that the best way to preserve the cloth (Simonis 860) was to vacuum it daily. The primary reason for daily vacuuming is to remove potentially abrasive chalk dust silica before it has a chance to penetrate the cloth and cut the fibers.

I bought a small handheld vac with hose extension and a non-rotating brush head attachment and kept it close to the table for easy access. Apparently, rotating brush heads are a no-no because they can also be abrasive to the cloth.

Up until recently when I switched to a product called 'Quickclean' that basically alleges to doing the same job and doesn't require a vacuum I vacuumed my table on a daily basis - sometimes more than once a day if I felt the need. After a year's time of daily vacuuming aside from a some color fade, the Simonis 860 still looks as good as new.

I've only been using the Quickclean product for a couple of weeks now but so far I must say that I am both pleased and impressed with the results. This spray on cleaner not only seems to do a great job of cleaning the fabric but it's managed to restore the Simonis to near its original vibrant green color.

This is not to say that I'm ready to toss out my trusty table vac or that I'm convinced Quickclean is 'God's Great Gift' to table cleaners . The vac still sits at the ready and will until I'm sure that it's no longer needed.

FWIW: In addition to the daily cleaning regimen I also keep my table covered when not in use. This might require taking the cover off and putting it back on several times a day if necessary but it's been worth it. I've found that keeping the table covered goes a long way towards preventing airborne lint, cat hair, dust and whatever else is floating around from dirtying up the cloth.

Snake <~~~ not THIS anal about anything else that he owns.

Bob_Jewett
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr> I have read on numerous posts that people vacuum their cloth. I was told by someone to never vacuum the cloth, only to brush it occasionally and not to brush it every day. Which is right??? Vacuum or Don't Vacuum, Brush Occasionaly or Brush Daily? Let me know your thoughts. LatER. <hr /></blockquote>
At the recent Sang Lee Memorial 3-C tournament, they vacuumed the cloth before nearly every match. Brushing rubs the chalk dust down into the cloth. Vacuuming pulls it out of the cloth. They used a powerful shop-vac style of cleaner with a wide attachment that had what looked to be 1/2-inch bristles. The cloth used was Simonis 300 Rapide, which is a finer grade than 860 and intended for carom. Where I play, they vacuum the pool tables (with 860) nightly.

There are, however, several reasons not to vacuum. If the slate has its seams filled improperly -- the highest-quality tables do not use seam filler because the slates are machined so accurately that they are perfectly joined -- then a vacuum might pull up the filler. An example would be if the installer used plaster of Paris to fill a chip. The plaster gets cracked during play, and if you run a vacuum over it, chunks of the plaster are pulled up and will move around under the cloth. The solution is to find an installer who knows what he is doing. And maybe it's a bad idea to vacuum nappy cloth. 860 and 300 are worsted cloth which has essentially no nap.

DickLeonard
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Snakebytexx. It reads like you might need some of my Monk's
hand soap. ####

quelicin
08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
So, basically, if I vacuum, then I need to use a handheld brush vacuum. Otherwise, don't vacuum. What about this table cleaner "Quick Clean"? Anybody using it and if so, how are the results?

Ken

drawshot
08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
I've tried the Quick Clean, seems to work well but it does leave a residue if you use it over and over. I still vacuum, and occasionally wipe with a damp rag, only in one direction though.

I find after using Quick Clean... sometimes it leaves a weird smell in the air and if you breathe it in... you'll start a hacking cough.

I suggest using the Quick Clean but use it sparingly. And clean the table when you are done playing avoid breathing the stuff at all cost.

theinel
08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I bought two cans of Quick-clean about two years ago and used then both. It seemed to work well but as compared to wiping with a water dampened cloth I can't say if there is any real difference.

The one thing I can say is that the product claims to dry immediately and it doesn't. If you use it, even in small amounts be prepared to wait for the table to dry for up to an hour.

tito
09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Hello.-

I recommend you the Quick-clean too, that can really works.

Before I buy the Quick-clean, I usually clean the cloth table with brush and vacuum but I spend many time, with Quick-clean itīs fast and all they said itīs true, Iīm happy with that product.

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/product_info.php?cPath=168_169&amp;products_id=1001832

Check this website, juan hdez.

houseman
09-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I have a hoover garage vac I use daily in my pool hall, does a great job fast, never any problem to the simonis after years of use. I wipe them down twice a week lightly with warm water, makes the cloth look new for a little while.

Bob_Jewett
09-14-2005, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> I have a hoover garage vac I use daily in my pool hall, does a great job fast, never any problem to the simonis after years of use. ... <hr /></blockquote>
What is normally used for crack filler on your tables? Years ago, the people who did the tables at the Cal Student Union used plaster of Paris and lumps under the cloth were a frequent occurrence. That was the same outfit that did the cues and all the ferrules gradually became conical (which is not necessarily a bad thing on a house stick, but it is a little strange).

houseman
09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
I believe my mechanic uses a melted wax, maybe parafin wax, he melts it with a small torch and uses a putty knife to smooth it out, never any problem in 12 years.

100andout
09-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Yup, that's just what he uses Houseman, if you still use B.J.? When I set up my Crown at home I called him to ask that very question. The slate is so good on a Crown that I melted the wax, then used a flat razor to smooth it down.

I also vac'd my table every day, wiped it down then covered it. Never a problem..........G