PDA

View Full Version : Software Question, Registry Fix?

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Anyone know if the registry repair and optimization packages are worth the money, and if so which is recommended? sid

SnakebyteXX
08-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Sid, there are literally dozens of registry fixing programs out there. However there are only a small handful that perform as promised and are worth using.

You might want to take a look at RegSupreme (http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/) from Macecraft is one of the most reliable cleaners on the market. It does the best job of keeping the registry clean and healthy of any that I've tried and it's relatively safe to use.

RegVac (http://www.regvac.com/) is another one that might be worth a try. It has more bells and whistles than RegSupreme and better graphics but I'm not certain that it does a better job.

The registry is a dark and mysterious place full of oblique entries that are nearly impossible for the average person to understand. The ironic thing about the vast majority of 'cleaners' that are out there is that they all seem to have different ideas of what needs to be cleaned.

After literally trying dozens of these little programs over the years I've come to the conclusion that if you're not careful you could accidentally 'clean' your registry to death and screw up your OS bigtime.

In my experience, RegSupreme and RegVac are two of the safest and most effective cleaners on the market and they're both shareware so you can try before you buy.

Hope this helps.

Snake

Chopstick
08-25-2005, 06:24 AM
I have been through several of these. Registry Mechanic is the best one I've found. I think it was $20.

The desktop guys at work are using regclean. It's a free download from microsoft. I just tried it on one of my machines. It appears to work fine. It doesn't give as much detail as registry mechanic though.

Sid_Vicious
08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks to both of you guys. I'm bound to try the free MS download first, especially since I have two PCs I need to maintain and the purchase of any one of the others would require two hits on the CC. I would imagine that MS should have an adequate program in general, but it is Microsoft and that NEVER guarantees you but one thing,,,it can bite you...sid

Chopstick
08-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Actually, software copyrights are adapted from the same copyright laws that apply to books. You cannot read a book in two different places at the same time but you are free to transport it anywhere you like and use it there. You can use the utility on different machines, just not at the same time. So, one copy will be fine.