PDA

View Full Version : Cuetec cues?

quelicin
08-25-2005, 02:14 AM
Anyone using a Cuetec cue? If so, is it any good? Thinking about buying a new cue and I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. Cuetec midnight series seems reasonable. Any thoughts.

http://cuetec.com

Ken

cmoore
08-25-2005, 03:57 AM
I picked up a Cuetec a couple of weeks ago to compliment the Dufferins in my pool cue rack. So far I like it. Time will tell. The Cuetec I purchased has a fiberglass coating that allows a for a very smooth stroke.

thecardman
08-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Cuetec was the first brand name cue that I bought. I liked the way it hit, the way it played but the only thing that bugged me was the fibreglass coating on the outside of the cue. Sure, I used a glove to get a smooth stroke, but it could be a pain at times having to dig out a glove just to play.

At the start of this year, I decided to go for a new cue. I decided to stick with Cuetec. I went for a Thunderbolt this time - maple on the outside of a graphite rod. Plays like a dream and I feel sooo much more comfortable with it than I did with the old one.

Price-wise, you may want to check out Nielsen's Billiards (http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards) on eBay - excellent prices and a great service. He beats everyone I've seen online.

Good luck with your cue, once you get it.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hondo
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm not crazy about the hit of a Cuetec but I
certainly second the endorsement of Nielson's
Billiards.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> Cuetec was the first brand name cue that I bought. I liked the way it hit, the way it played but the only thing that bugged me was the fibreglass coating on the outside of the cue. Sure, I used a glove to get a smooth stroke, but it could be a pain at times having to dig out a glove just to play.

At the start of this year, I decided to go for a new cue. I decided to stick with Cuetec. I went for a Thunderbolt this time - maple on the outside of a graphite rod. Plays like a dream and I feel sooo much more comfortable with it than I did with the old one.

Price-wise, you may want to check out Nielsen's Billiards (http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards) on eBay - excellent prices and a great service. He beats everyone I've seen online.

Good luck with your cue, once you get it.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

quelicin
08-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the responses.

ken

bluey2king
08-26-2005, 10:18 AM
You can get a Great cue for under $200.
I think Cuetec need special stuff for the shaft to keep it clean and slick.
I would never buy one without trying the hit. I bought my Viking by closing my eyes and hitting a ball with three other cues in the same price range $120 -135.
Lucasi also makes a good cue with a Uni-Loc joint in the same range that would be internet order price.
Good Luck buy what feels right.

quelicin
08-26-2005, 02:13 PM
I have never been to a Billiards store. I hope I don't sound too stooopid. Do they allow you to try out cues before you buy. I have always purchased my supplies online without trying them out. Thanks.

~Ken

Bob_Jewett
08-26-2005, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr> I have never been to a Billiards store. I hope I don't sound too stooopid. Do they allow you to try out cues before you buy?... <hr /></blockquote>
Some do and some don't. There is one in Oregon that has hundreds of cues and you can try them -- with chalk!! -- for as long as you want before you buy. It's much better to be able to shoot with a cue before you buy it.

But from your other questions, Ken, it seems that you are only just starting to play pool. My feeling is that you should not commit to a particular kind of cue when you are starting, but instead should play with a variety of cues, so you can begin to learn the differences between cues. The variety should include different weights, tip diameters, balances, lengths.... Or, you can just go with the standard, which is probably wrong for you.

quelicin
08-27-2005, 05:20 AM
I have played for several years but have recently purchased as 8ft table for my gameroom and am wanting to increase my skills. I currently shoot with a 21 ounce stick that my wife bought for me from Sears about 5 years ago. It is a bit heavy and it seems like I have some difficulty with CB response on certain shots. I thought I might buy a lighter stick and one of a better quality in hopes that this might help improve CB response. I have used my wifes 19 ounce graphite stick and have noticed better CB response with back spin but I don't like the graphite shaft.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

~Ken

hondo
08-29-2005, 10:02 AM
In my opinion the best lower end stick is Lucasi.

gnef
08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I also think a good option for this price range would be a lower end McDermott. I think I got my McDermott for just a little over 100, it was nothing fancy, the basic wood-wood joint, regular pin, etc.