PDA

View Full Version : Level Best Balls (wobble)?

saskep
08-25-2005, 06:06 AM
I just bought a pool table from Brunswick and I got the following "Level Best" set of balls with the table:

http://www.thelevelbest.com/PoolBalls/MagnumBallSet.cfm

Some of the balls don't seem like they are weighted correct though. There seems to be like a slight wobble if you roll the balls very slowly and just before they come to rest they wobble some. They don't all do it though, which makes me think it's the balls and not the table.

Does anyone know about the quality of these "Level Best" balls? and is there a comparable "Aramith" ball folks would suggest without getting the Centennial Aramith balls which I keep hearing is the best (but at a cost).

-Thanks, Ken

ceebee
08-25-2005, 06:39 AM
I read the ad you posted. The balls are not phenolic, they have been given a good name, so they will sell.

Brunswick or Aramith both have a great ball, but they cost $150 - $200 for the set.

You get what you pay for.

quelicin
08-25-2005, 08:06 AM
I boughta table recently as well and the balls that came with the table were not phenolic. I was having the same problem that you are having. I ordered Aramith Pro balls at Ozonebilliards.com I couldn't find a better price anywhere on the net. A few people have told me that you gotta have the Aramith if you want the best. But, gonna cost you appro 140 bucks.

I am supposed to get mine via UPS today. I will let you know if there is a difference on my table. LatER.

~ken~

saskep
08-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the quick replys.
So "phenolic" balls are a type of plastic ball that is more accurate?

saskep
08-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I found this page that seems to offer several types of balls:
http://www.gameroomsusa.com/billiard-balls.html

- The "Magnum professional balls" are what I got
- They said they would swap them out for the
"Aramith Crown Standard" which I don't really like the
looks off, but which are "Phenolic" which 2 folks have
already said is better.
- However, I think I might take a snapshot of this webpage
in and see if I can pay a little more and upgrade to the
"Belgian PREMIER ARAMITH Phenolic Pool Balls".

Does my thinking sound correct? and hope this might help others in the future.

-Ken

ceebee
08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
The SUPER Aramith or the Brunswick Centennial are considered to be the Cadillacs. Aramith makes both sets. Aramith makes good Pool Balls, even if they are the Crown or Premier.

I can understand economics & what folks can or cannot afford. If you are striving to become a better player, don't let equipment limit your in your quest to be a good player. However, Mosconi learned to whack balls by hitting oranges, because his father locked up the pool balls.

The whole idea is to practice with equipment that is closely related to equipment you compete on, if it is affordable to you. Good Luck.

quelicin
08-26-2005, 07:16 AM
I have played several games with my new Belgian Super Aramith Pro balls and I have noticed a considerable difference in breaking and CB response. It is the difference between night and day. I know that the Super Aramith Pro is 132 bucks, but you are better off paying the extra 40 bucks and getting the best for your table. I don't know what the difference is between the other Belgian Aramith balls, but I am sure there is a reason why there is a price difference. I would hate to spend the 90 bucks just to later decide that I should have gotten the other balls and then end up buying them anyway. Go to OzoneBilliards (http://ozonebilliards.com) and they sale the Belgian Aramith balls and they have free shipping, it will save you 13 dollars from the other website that you listed and the prices are pretty much the same. Hope this helps.

~Ken