PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Alive and Well!

Steve Lipsky
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey all. Just wanted to mention that in the next 6 weeks, there are 3 major straight pool tournaments in the northeast region.

This coming weekend is the annual Pennsylvania tournament put on by Pete and Mickey, though it's in a new location. Rack-M-Up Billiards, in Frazer. (Barbara, care to wager any nuts on your boy /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif?? Just kidding... betting against Bob is never a good bet.)

Next month is the New Jersey State 14.1 Championship, put on annually by Bill and Marcia Haley of Comet Billiards. For anyone who has not yet been to Comet, I can truly say it is one of the best-run and player-friendly rooms I've ever been to.

And Danny Barouty has just announced there will be a Johnny Ervolino Memorial Tournament, from October 6 through 9, at Master Billiards in Queens, NY.

Anyway, it's good to be a straight pool player these days... never thought I'd be able to say that again /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve

Dagwood
08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Hopefully this is a portent of things to come with straight pool Steve. Good luck in these upcoming tourneys.

Dags

Barbara
08-25-2005, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>This coming weekend is the annual Pennsylvania tournament put on by Pete and Mickey, though it's in a new location. Rack-M-Up Billiards, in Frazer. (Barbara, care to wager any nuts on your boy /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif?? Just kidding... betting against Bob is never a good bet.)

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I got your nuts here, Lipsky! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Are you playing at Rack-M-Up? Dirty Harry's my "Mr. November". I have to shake some money out of him soon.

Barbara

Tom_In_Cincy
08-25-2005, 03:02 PM
14.1 is dead west of the Mississippi. One Pocket and 9 ball.. is all these players know.

No beads, or counters in the tables out here.

One Pocket or 9 ball... that's about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

houseman
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Good luck Steve,
I will be there Saturday before the tournament starts and before I have to opem my room at 2:00 pm.
Sorry we had to change the location this year but I have some a-hole neighbors that don`t want my customers in their lot. hope to have it fixed before next year, you never know you guys might like Harrrys room better, allan will be able to have a drink or two in there. ha! ha!

Mickey aka "the houseman"

dg-in-centralpa
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Good Luck Steve! Unfortunately very few people play 14.1 where I live, mostly 8 ball. Some 9 ball when someone wants to play for money.

DG

dmgwalsh
08-26-2005, 03:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey all. Just wanted to mention that in the next 6 weeks, there are 3 major straight pool tournaments in the northeast region.

This coming weekend is the annual Pennsylvania tournament put on by Pete and Mickey, though it's in a new location. Rack-M-Up Billiards, in Frazer. (Barbara, care to wager any nuts on your boy /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif?? Just kidding... betting against Bob is never a good bet.)

Next month is the New Jersey State 14.1 Championship, put on annually by Bill and Marcia Haley of Comet Billiards. For anyone who has not yet been to Comet, I can truly say it is one of the best-run and player-friendly rooms I've ever been to.

And Danny Barouty has just announced there will be a Johnny Ervolino Memorial Tournament, from October 6 through 9, at Master Billiards in Queens, NY.

Anyway, it's good to be a straight pool player these days... never thought I'd be able to say that again /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I'm glad to hear that the game is still alive and kicking. We're doing what we can to keep it going in the Chicago area. Red Shoes in Alsip has league every Monday and they are talking about adding another 14.1 league on Thursdays. They had a 14.1 tournament won by Jeff Carter over Dallas West in May. Illinois Billiard Club in Willow Springs is rolling along with it's 14.1 league and is talking about expanding it to other evenings. Pockets in Crestwood is doing 14.1 tournaments every third Sunday, though participation hasn't been that good yet. Cue-N-You in Grayslake, Illinois has had two 14.1 tournaments recently and have another scheduled for September 10-11. And finally, Sailor up in Racine, Wisconsin is talking about getting an invitational tournament in 14.1 going sometime this fall.

In spite of the cover story of BD last month, maybe it's not dead.

9 Ball Girl
08-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Good luck Steve! And I've always said,

It's All About 14.1

Steve Lipsky
08-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll be bringing my laptop with me, so hopefully I can provide some updates. I'm also bringing a camera, but I'm probably the worst photographer in history. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve

Voodoo Daddy
08-28-2005, 05:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Danny Barouty has just announced there will be a Johnny Ervolino Memorial Tournament, from October 6 through 9, at Master Billiards in Queens, NY.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Any more info on the Johnny Ervolino Memorial? I'd love to go!!

Voodoo~~~will have to play some 14.1 from now til then, but Tom can still get 10-7 in Va Beach!!! HAHAHAHAHA

08-29-2005, 08:15 AM
It's good to be a 14.1 player on ALL days, Steve, as you no doubt know. But by all means keep up the good work, and we'll do what we can out here. Straight pool is as durable as rock 'n' roll! GF