PDA

View Full Version : Bio-mec. of pool..

eat_sleep_pool
08-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone,
I was just think about pool today, like every other day and i was wondering if anyone knew the exact proper names of the muscles that are used while playing pool.

Just wondering since i love pool and bio..

"I need a new shaft iv been beating on this one too hard" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

theinel
08-26-2005, 02:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eat_sleep_pool:</font><hr>i was wondering if anyone knew the exact proper names of the muscles that are used while playing pool.<hr /></blockquote>
Depending on the player that could be a long list so I will only contribute the most important...

<font color="blue">the Heart ("cor" in Latin, "kardia" in Greek</font color>

Other major muscles in the arm will also be used on every shot but much more important than the arm muscles (and not a muscle) is...

<font color="blue">the Brain ("encephalon" in Latin, "brechmos" in Greek)</font color>

If you can wrangle those two unruly beasts into line then you might just be invincible /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
08-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Charley Bond, posts as ceebee here, has a section in his book all about the physiology. There's a lot of other good stuff in that book, too. Well worth getting - The Great Break Shot - www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com), or I think it shows up on eBay occasionally.

caedos
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
These will get you started:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject?id=84

When people speak to biomechanics and cue-sports the reference tends to be focused on the stroking arm. A good biomechanic could probably be established in billiards for each person from head to toe for any given shot. Stroke movements, eye movements, breathing, stance, bridge, and all respective movements and timing. How deep down the rabbit-hole this journey goes is up to you!

Good luck!

Carl

The_Doctor
11-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Wow, thats quite a difficult question. Theres quite a lot of muscles in the human body (I know, I had to memorise all the skeletal ones for an anatomy exam a few years ago) and almost all of them are under some sort of tension when we bend over the table to play a shot. If your talking abot just the back arm then I'll run through a few. The trices on the back of the upper arm straigtens the elbow out on the pull back. The bracho-radialis the begins the motion of pullin the cue through (probably) its a little muscle under the biceps. The majority of the bending of the elbow comes from the biceps on the front of the upper arm. The shoulder is held in position by the deltoids which are on top of he shoulder and the muscles keeping the upper arm close to the chest are the teres major and minor which are and a persons back at the top of the upside down v made where the upper arm meets the back. In addition to teres major and minor is latisimus dorsi which is the big one on a person's back. Theres a few more which pull the arm close to the chest during the movement but this list will begin to get silly. Theres also the muscles in the wrist which grip the cue and in some people pull the palm of the hand towards the wrist to help a straight stroke, I'm just going to call these the flexors of the wrist because theres too many of them. Just to say that the flexors and the extensors of the wrist (extensors pull the back of the habnd towards the wrist) need to pull against each other to hold the cue as its the same muscles which work the fingers (pretty much). This is actually a very difficult question to answer and could run on for many thousands of words.

catscradle
11-22-2005, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The_Doctor:</font><hr> Wow, thats quite a difficult question. ... <hr /></blockquote>

Your answer just begins to demonstrate how truly amazing the complex system is that has evolved to become what is a human (or any animal for that matter). The interaction of the nervous system and muscular system is just awe inspiring when we take the time to examine it. All that going on for what appears to be a "simple" pool shot. I fine the subject totally captivating, if I only had a brain /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif and was 45 years younger /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif... but then again genetics is even more intriguing.

mybreak
11-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Your answer for all the muscles used while shooting has been given.

However, if you go to Valley Forge and you're looking to buy a new cue among ALL of the cuemakers and cues displayed there, the primary muscle used to make that decision is the "love muscle". SPROINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!