PDA

View Full Version : Pool table and pool table light height.

tjlmbklr
08-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Some of you may remember me. I am just a stranger but I mostly enjoy reading this forum more so then posting. I am the one who in the process of remodeling my attic into what I am close to referring to as my Rec. room. I am very close. All the drywall is hung, textured and sprayed (and mostly painted). My electrician just recently stopped to finish up with all my fixtures, outlets and baseboard heaters. I have a pool table light but am unable to reference the proper height of the light to the playing surface of the table. This is due to not having the carpet done therefore I do not have the table set up yet. Which leads me to my question, after factoring the surface height of the table and adding the distance of the light to the table surface, what is the number I am looking for. An "atta boy" to the first believable answer. By the way it is an 8ft. table with a three fixture light.

Thank you

BooBoo
08-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Normally you would hang your light so the whole table is equally lit. A rule of thumb is the height of the table slate is 31" from the floor. The height of the light to the table according to the WPC is 40". Do the math. Hope this helps to get you started.

quelicin
08-26-2005, 07:20 AM
I just hung a table light over my table and I just centered the light and raised it to a level where I got equal distribution of light over the table and to where the light does not seem to be too low for playing. Seemed to work fine for me.

~Ken

bluey2king
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
YES I remember you!!
I am Happy to see that your project is comming along. I amassuming a 8' table with a three light fixture.
Make sure that the tallest person you expect wont hit their head. I think higher is better for the reason that somone said of good light distrubtion.
I know the box lights can interfear more and need more space. I do NOT like florcent light myself its off color or something and they will get a frequency flicker and if its cold they are slow to warm up.
just my .02

BigRigTom
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I too remember you and glad to hear your project is moving forward in spite of some of the bashing you received from others here on the CCB.
Some times you have to "Do your thing your own way!" and don't let the knuckle heads slow you down.

I copied this post from the RSB because it sounds right to me.
<font color="red">Ryan Shea wrote:

&gt; Does anyone have the proper height (I guess I want perfectly in between the
&gt; BCA maximum and minimum) for a pool table and a light. My lighting is (4)
&gt; 8' flourescent bulbs.

When I installed the light for my Gold Crown two weeks ago the
Brunswick dealer told me the light should be 63 inches off of the
ground. So far, it's been great!

Regards, Daniel

</font color>

The reason the table light height varies is because the table height and size vary. Your light should be between 30 and 36 inches above the surface if you have a light that properly matches the table size.

lc1
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
If you haven't hung your light yet. Take into consideration several things. Not only even light distribution, but are you doing anything else with your pool table. Such as a ping pong conversion top. If you are using one of these then you should go higher. Other than that you can use the standard rule of thumb 36 inches over the surface. Pending your light is the right size. The best rule is to take what you have and hang it at different hirghts until you get what you are looking for. (the best light distribution)

tjlmbklr
08-30-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YES I remember you!!
I am Happy to see that your project is comming along <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you!

tjlmbklr

tjlmbklr
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some times you have to "Do your thing your own way!" and don't let the knuckle heads slow you down.
<hr /></blockquote>

And, Thank you!

tjlmbklr