PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

Voodoo Daddy
08-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Well...South Florida was butchered last night by Hurricane Katrina. I was in the PH taking a very needed break when the weather dude said the storm had taken a turn south and was headed for Kendall <where I live>. Instead of running home I stayed cause the storm at the time was 55-60MPH winds and thats no big deal. By the time it made its presences know it was packing 100MPH winds and the party was on.

Watching the transformers BLOW up was a treat...the power going on and off at the PH a half a dozen times was fun too. We sat in the dark and did what PH people do, ragged on each other and had drinks!!! The whole time I was remenissing about Hurricane Andrew..13 years and two days ago so I dont think I was as much fun as I coulda been!!

We stayed at the room until about 1230 and we all decided to make a beak for it. I lived the closest so I was worried <first dumb mistake>. I made it to my street to find our that all the Ficus trees that lined my block have been blown over...I made a dash to the main road to figure out where to go and ended up parking under a gas station cover until the sun came out.

At 630 the first sign of light I tried again to get to my condo...dodging and weaving around the huge trees and finally made it home. There was no power when I got here but I woke up to the sweet sound of my A/C unit...whata night!!!

Rich R.
08-26-2005, 06:32 AM
It was a rough night, but I'm happy to hear you are alright. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
08-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Good to hear your OK. I was wondering how you were doing. We didn't get any of it up in Orlando.

9 Ball Girl
08-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Glad to know that you are A-Ok. Reminds me of being at Q-Masters in VA during Hurricane Isabel.

See you in a few weeks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-26-2005, 07:15 AM
And you're moving to MA when?

Barbara

pooltchr
08-26-2005, 08:13 AM
glad to hear you came through it ok. I was down there in WPB for Andrew...sounds like this was a piece of cake compared to that one.
Steve

dg-in-centralpa
08-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Glad you made it through . We're supposed to get the rains from Katrina middle of next week.

DG

cueball1950
08-26-2005, 08:19 PM
glad to see that you are ok Steve. see you in a couple of weeks at the Open.....................mike

Vagabond
08-28-2005, 04:52 AM
I am glad to know that u are safe.cheers.

Voodoo Daddy
08-28-2005, 05:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> And you're moving to MA when?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Sometime between October and March, ya know the "season to move"...HAHAHAHA. Anything beats duckin' flying debris!!

CarolNYC
08-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Hang in there,Steve,
Glad to see you okay! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I just heard Katrina is now a FIVE-Andrew was a 4-Andrew hit in August,too, so would August be the month of whopper hurricanes?
Also, I heard there were deaths in Florida due to carbon monoxide from generators-how is that?Did they run the generators in their homes?
Carol

Voodoo Daddy
08-28-2005, 06:20 AM
I cant tell ya who was runnin what but I can say that death is certain when your caught with your pants down like we were. The NWS had the storm heading in a westerly direction 55 miles N/E of me hours before it made landfall and Katrina &lt;that bitch&gt; made a hard turn S/W and headed for my crib.

Andrew packed 180+ MPH winds but was moving at 14 MPH. Katrina was topping off at 100 MPH &lt;that I know to be fact from our wind gauges on our Ships cranes here at work&gt; but moved at 6 MPH so she had more time to damage the area. Ironically both storms eyes went right down the my street both times, I mean WTF already!! Needless to say it was a butt-puckering experience of which I didnt need.

Barbara
08-28-2005, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Sometime between October and March, ya know the "season to move"...HAHAHAHA. Anything beats duckin' flying debris!! <hr /></blockquote>

Well when you get near Philly give me a holler and stop on in.

Barbara

cueball1950
08-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Well it looks like katrina is gaining more strength. the weather channel just said that she is a catagory 5 with sustained winds of 175 mph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sure glad she did not hit Voodoo that strong. but look out Louisiana. This 1 is going to be a bitch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sure hope it can down grade a little before it hits land.........................mike

Voodoo Daddy
08-28-2005, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Well it looks like katrina is gaining more strength. the weather channel just said that she is a catagory 5 with sustained winds of 175 mph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sure glad she did not hit Voodoo that strong. but look out Louisiana. This 1 is going to be a bitch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sure hope it can down grade a little before it hits land.........................mike <hr /></blockquote>

Today at work I spoke to someone at the NWS...its packing 175 with gusts to 195!!! The size of this one spans 310 miles and it shows no sign of weakening...ugh.

SnakebyteXX
08-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Infrared Satellite view of Katrina - refresh to update (http://www.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xg1_ir_anim.gif)

Katrina Tracking Map (http://weather.chron.com/auto/chron/tropical/tracking/at200512.html)

Barbara
08-28-2005, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Today at work I spoke to someone at the NWS...its packing 175 with gusts to 195!!! The size of this one spans 310 miles and it shows no sign of weakening...ugh. <hr /></blockquote>

God help all those in the LA/MI/AL area. This monster has engulphed the whole Gulf Ocean! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara

TomBrooklyn
08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Glad to hear all is pretty good Steve. I'm concerned about the folks in New Orleans now.

Dagwood
08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Just to let y'all know, (can't believe I just used ya'll, being from connecticut and all), I'm down in Louisiana, though on the west central portion, (about 200 miles west of New Orleans)...thankfully we'll miss the brunt of the storm. I'll let you know if things get hairy out my way. Still have to go to work tommorow though...ain't no weather too bad for Army training...lol (great... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Dags

Dagwood
08-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Well...seeing as it won't let me edit the previous post...Just got word today that I may be heading down to New Orleans to help in the clean-up effort. I'll try and keep everyone here updated on the situation down there as I learn more. As of right now, (about 8:10am central), they just lost power and the eyewall has just crossed over onto land. The storm looks to be heading in a north/north easterly direction though, so apparently New Orleans is going to miss a direct hit by this monster. Will keep the updates coming....

Dags

eg8r
08-29-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Andrew packed 180+ MPH winds but was moving at 14 MPH. Katrina was topping off at 100 MPH &lt;that I know to be fact from our wind gauges on our Ships cranes here at work&gt; but moved at 6 MPH so she had more time to damage the area. Ironically both storms eyes went right down the my street both times, I mean WTF already!! Needless to say it was a butt-puckering experience of which I didnt need. <hr /></blockquote> Hey Steve, I know what you are talking about. We had three come through us last year, and whether it is a CAT 3, 4 or 5, who cares. Anything over 100 mph sustained winds is going to do some damage. We had all kinds of damage around here when Charley came through. It was not a real "strong" hurricane, but it was slow moving just like what you went through.

Glad you are OK.

eg8r

Chopstick
08-29-2005, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> We had all kinds of damage around here when Charley came through. It was not a real "strong" hurricane, but it was slow moving just like what you went through.

Glad you are OK.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

That thing even took out a major data center. It's kind of funny how it did it though. The roof leaked right above the cabinets that contained the control circuitry for the power systems and shorted them out. So, the batteries and the backup generators couldn't kick in and all the lights just went out.

When I got there the lobby was full of some really angry people. So much for 24/365 guaranteed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralph S.
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey Voodoo, glad to hear your alright. I haven't ever experienced a hurricane, but have been through a tornado or two. Nothing can scare the sh*t out of ya like Mother Nature.