PDA

View Full Version : pool school question. Worth it or not?

dmgwalsh
08-26-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm thinking of going to the pool school by Randy G and Scott Lee in Chicago the weekend of September 9-11 and I wanted some input from people who have been through this school as to whether you think it is worth it and what I can expect to get out of it.

I'm sure it varies depending upon one's level of experience and ability. my high run in straight is in the low 30s. I don't always stroke good; I've been accused of poking the ball instead of stroking it, though I think I'm getting better at stroking. I'd like to develop a reliable stroke, and good cue ball control.

Any input would be appreciated.

Barbara
08-26-2005, 07:54 AM
It's definitely worth it! Your brain will hurt with all the information you will be subjected to. You will learn not only how you should stroke, but also how to correct your stroke when it goes out of kilter.

Go to school.

Barbara

pooltchr
08-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Ditto what Barbara said. You will learn more in 3 days than you normally learn in 3 years! And your game WILL improve...as long as you apply what you learn there.
Steve

BigRigTom
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Is it worth <font color="red">IT</font color>? That probably depends on how much you want <font color="red">IT</font color>? .
Does anyone know how much <font color="red">IT</font color> cost in US Dollars for the 3 days?

Bob_Jewett
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Is it worth <font color="red">IT</font color>? That probably depends on how much you want <font color="red">IT</font color>? .
Does anyone know how much <font color="red">IT</font color> cost in US Dollars for the 3 days? <hr /></blockquote>

From a previous post on a different discussion group:

&gt; ... i would like to know if there's other summer school like this.

I think most instructors could put together a week of lessons for
you. Several places offer three-day courses. You may want to
consider how much time you want to spend practicing and how much
individual attention you want during the course. Private or
group? Social events included or on your own? Tailored to your
specific requirements or following a set course outline?

You should be able to find:

five-day course
three hours per day of one-on-one instruction
unlimited practice time
motel room with breakfast and evening snack included
$1400
(or $1700 total for two players sharing a room and instruction
time)

dmgwalsh
08-26-2005, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Is it worth <font color="red">IT</font color>? That probably depends on how much you want <font color="red">IT</font color>? .
Does anyone know how much <font color="red">IT</font color> cost in US Dollars for the 3 days? <hr /></blockquote>

The cost is $625, which seems like a lot. But 3 days 8 hours per day comes out to about $25 an hour. I could sell one of the cues I never use and pay for it.

Rich R.
08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> The cost is $625, which seems like a lot. But 3 days 8 hours per day comes out to about $25 an hour. <hr /></blockquote>Trust me, Randy does not watch the clock. Your days will be more like 9 to 10 hours each.

Cane
08-26-2005, 09:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Trust me, Randy does not watch the clock. Your days will be more like 9 to 10 hours each. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep... he'll work you to death! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...but it's worth every minute

Bob

catscradle
08-29-2005, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I'm thinking of going to the pool school by Randy G and Scott Lee in Chicago the weekend of September 9-11 and I wanted some input from people who have been through this school as to whether you think it is worth it and what I can expect to get out of it.

I'm sure it varies depending upon one's level of experience and ability. my high run in straight is in the low 30s. I don't always stroke good; I've been accused of poking the ball instead of stroking it, though I think I'm getting better at stroking. I'd like to develop a reliable stroke, and good cue ball control.

Any input would be appreciated.

<hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely worth it! I went to it in CT. I had issues with this particular rendition of the Pool School. I've addressed these issues with Randy via private email and his has responded appropriately. I needn't go in to them here, suffice it to say it the issues stemmed from the fact that Randy wasn't the lead instructor.
However, despite those issues, the school was worth based on Randy's dynamic personality and teaching methods alone. I think haven't Scott Lee as the second primary instructor can only enhance the experience. I haven't had lessons from Scott personally, but I don't think he'd have the reputation he has if he wasn't a good instructor. I suspect the quality of the instructors will fall off after those 2, but they could fall quite a bit and still be adequate. I don't play as well as you, but a friend who attended with me shoots that well or better and he felt he profited from it.
Good luck.

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2005, 06:11 AM
My personal followup to taking school is that there's so much thrown at you in 3 fast days that you are burned out with information. One on one to me fits much better if you are seasoned are a player at all, otherwise it feels like too much, too fast, and lacks enough individual attention for me. I feel that the division of the cost by hour needs the individual attention factor highlighted more...sid

To quote Bob in his response, "You may want to consider how much time you want to spend practicing and how much individual attention you want during the course."

Scott Lee
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> I suspect the quality of the instructors will fall off after those 2, but they could fall quite a bit and still be adequate. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Actually, our additional instructor(s) will be every bit as experienced and knowledgable as Randy and myself. The participants in this school will have a terrific experience...guaranteed!

Scott Lee

caedos
08-30-2005, 07:47 PM
If the school puts enough on the roster, I will almost assuredly be one of the other instructors participating. I was going to comment 'tongue-in-cheek' about the quality of instruction falling off when I walk through the door, but suffice it to say I'm sorry that your expectations were not met to your satisfaction. Randy works very hard to keep a good student to instructor ratio (2 or 3 students per instructor at most), and understands how to balance personalities and learning types. Of course some individuals will respond better to one instructor than another...

Here's to making a road trip to Chicagoland!

Carl

catscradle
08-31-2005, 04:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> ... but suffice it to say I'm sorry that your expectations were not met to your satisfaction.
<hr /></blockquote>
Randy and I have corresponded concerning my unmet expectations, and he feels as bad about it as I do and I don't doubt his sincerity for a moment. As I said to him, he alone was worth the money, and I think if he ran the show entirely it would have met and exceeded my expectations.
[ QUOTE ]
Randy works very hard to keep a good student to instructor ratio (2 or 3 students per instructor at most), and understands how to balance personalities and learning types. Of course some individuals will respond better to one instructor than another...
<hr /></blockquote>
The ratio was right, the problem was in this particular rendition Randy wasn't running the show nor recruiting the assistant instructors. To quote Randy "...it won't happen again." One suggestion I made to Randy was that the instructors be rotated among the students. Some of the assistants seemed better than others, as it turned out I and another guy kind of got stuck with what I think was the "weakest link". I won't go into the details here, you know Randy, I certainly don't raise any objection to his discussing my correspondence with you.

I can't stress enough that despite my disappointment with some aspect of the experience, Randy's dynamic personality and teaching abilities alone made it worth the $$$$. I just feel it could have been more worth the $$$$.

randyg
08-31-2005, 05:20 AM
CATSCRADLE: Thanks Steve, appreciate it.

CUE-TECH Pool School is an open book. Pages change every day. I learn just as much from our students as I do from my constant attendance at seminars and workshops in the every day World.

Not all Instructors have the fire or the chance to be where I'm at. I insist that all of the Instructors that graduate from our school must continue to review under our supervision. Not all of these Instructors are at the same level or the same competence. Just the fact that they are teaching in our school shows the desire to improve.

"It's not how many times you fall down that count. It's how many times you pick yourself up and go on with life."

If one of our Instructors fail in any way, it's my fault. It's also my obligation to pick them up and keep them on course.

I learn some very serious lessons about Teaching &amp; Learning every class. I pass that info on as often as possible, that's what makes CUE-TECH First Class.

See everyone in Chicago and then Charlotte......SPF-randyg