PDA

View Full Version : Opening a new pool room

tonysoprano
08-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I am kicking around the idea of opening a pool room in my small town. The buildings I am looking at are relatively small (and cheap), and I was looking for some input on what size tables would be best for my place...One place will only hold about 6 tables, and the other spot I am looking at will probably hold 10. I was thinking of putting at least one, maybe two coin-op tables in, for the people who want to hit some balls and run, instead of paying for an entire hour on a regular table. Obviously, I will hold tournaments, etc...So I am not sure if I should go with all 8 ft, or the over sized 8 ft, or even 9 ft, or a mix of all sizes...Thanks in a advance for the replies....

Troy
08-27-2005, 03:33 PM
IMO a coin op table in a pool room is a money loser. A single player can practice for a very long time. If you MUST have 7' table(s) put them on the clock. Cue balls seem to have a mind of their own /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You certainly do NOT want a normal CB on a coin up table.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tonysoprano:</font><hr> I am kicking around the idea of opening a pool room in my small town. The buildings I am looking at are relatively small (and cheap), and I was looking for some input on what size tables would be best for my place...One place will only hold about 6 tables, and the other spot I am looking at will probably hold 10. I was thinking of putting at least one, maybe two coin-op tables in, for the people who want to hit some balls and run, instead of paying for an entire hour on a regular table. Obviously, I will hold tournaments, etc...So I am not sure if I should go with all 8 ft, or the over sized 8 ft, or even 9 ft, or a mix of all sizes...Thanks in a advance for the replies.... <hr /></blockquote>

quelicin
08-27-2005, 04:11 PM
I would never put a coin-op in a pool hall. Charge them by the hour. Most players would never mind paying for an hour and you would probably get more customers by having only 8 ft tables. Besides, if you wanted, you could pro-rate the pool by the half hour. If I were going to a pool hall, I would go to the one with the best tables for the hourly price.

A lot of small towns only have coin-ops in taverns or bowling alley's and I think a pool hall with nice tables would attract the avid pool players in the community. Good luck.

~Ken

Troy
08-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Most rooms pro rate table time. Many in 5 minute increments. Some may have a 20 or 30 minute minimum then pro rate the time.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr>...you could pro-rate the pool by the half hour.
~Ken <hr /></blockquote>

ceebee
08-28-2005, 07:22 AM
I live in a small town of 30,000. The town of Bartlesville, Oklahoma once had 5 Pool Rooms, during the 30s &amp; 40s. Today we have 1 Pool Room. The room has 12 Valley Tables (50 cents) &amp; 3 Brunswick Gold Crowns (9'). The owner has 3 nites of league Play, a Monday Nite 9 Ball on the Bar Boxes &amp; a Wednesday Nite 3 Ball Tournament. We have RING GAMES about 3 nites a week.

The owner sells beer, pop, cookies, candy &amp; chips. His family makes the greatest hamburgers on Tournament Weekends. We used to have 12-14 very good players, we are now down to 5.

The owner just returned from Las Vegas. His team won the regional APA 8-Ball &amp; a trip to compete nationally. As I see it, the trick was to establish lots of league play &amp; offer a couple tournaments for the real competitors. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he paid for the place in 3 years or less.

The downside is this, there are lots &amp; lots (50 minimum) of KIDS running around the place, but they spend their money, when they have it. The only problem I have with the younger crowd is they have no respect for anyone.

Ralph S.
08-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello Troy. I have disagree with you on this one. I work PT for a guy on weekends at both of his rooms. The one room, Side Pocket, is all barbox coin-ops. The tables are almost constantly full each day of the week. Weekends, people sometimes dont even get a table. His coin drop is HUGE!

This all done while still having free pool all day/eve on Mondays and Wedensdays except for league play which takes up all twelve tables both nights, and free pool after 11:00 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The sister room, Corner Pocket, runs the same way except they have some 9' tables there.

Coin-op tables can, and do, generate a sizeable chunk of a rooms income if properly maintained and marketed appropriately. I want to note for the record, that I prefer to play the big tables whenever possible though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif