PDA

View Full Version : Frazer PA 14.1 Tournament Update

Steve Lipsky
08-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi all. I'm here in Frazer, late on Saturday night. As usual, there were a few signups who never showed, so our 16-player tournament quickly became a 13-player tournament. The field was tough, though, including Danny Barouty, Allen Hopkins, Bob Maidhof, Teddy Garrahan, Don Polo, Dave Daya, and Tommy Walter.

I highly recommend, whenever you play in a 13-player tournament, getting a bye. It makes things easier, lol. Two wins later, I find myself playing for the hot seat tomorrow at 1pm.

On the other side of the bracket, Danny Barouty emerged unscathed. Danny had a tough draw, as he played Hopkins, Garrahan, and then Daya.

Going into tomorrow, there are six players left. Danny and I on the winners side, and Hopkins, Garrahan, Daya, and Walter on the losers side.

Hopkins holds the high run so far at (I think) 141, which he ran against Don Polo in his last match of the night. Other notable runs are 96 by Garrahan, 78 by your trusty reporter, and three or four runs in the low 70s by the other guys.

So far it's been a wonderful tournament and everyone's having a really good time. The room, Rack-M-Up, has been very gracious in its treatment of the players.

Looking forward to tommorrow...

- Steve

Voodoo Daddy
08-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Tough it up Steve...you got it in ya!!

Leviathan
08-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Sounds like a dandy tournament, Steve. Roll 'em smooth--AS.

Rich R.
08-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the report, Steve. I can't wait for the next one.

Wish I was there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CarolNYC
08-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Good run Steve!
Go gettum!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Good Luck! That's a tough tournament with those guys. Can't wait to hear the finals.

DG

Barbara
08-28-2005, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Good run Steve!
Go gettum!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, but I have to go with Allen now. After knocking Dawn out of the NJ State 9-ball event, I need some sympathy from one half of that marriage or I'm looking at the "Security Post #1" job at next year's Expo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

cuequeen
08-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Ok...so I was there to witness some of this event. I missed the first 2 rounds, but the last round was great. Steve, Allen, Don Polo, Bob Maidhof, Tom Walter, and Teddy Garrahan were all in action. Allen ran 145 in his match against Don Polo. They were the first finished. The other 2 matches were longer, and ended up being much closer. Teddy and Steve came out on top. Harry Metzger, the room owner, making sure that no pool was played on any of the other tables in the room until the straight pool matches were completed.

dmgwalsh
08-29-2005, 07:13 AM
so, How did it end? high runs?

Steve Lipsky
08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey everyone... got back late last night. We would have been back earlier, but a plethora of Ohio license plates finally clued us in to the fact we were driving west, not east (after about 30 miles, obviously /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Sunday got started with Tommy Walter losing to Teddy Garrahan and Allen Hopkins beating Dave Daya in what I think was a close match.

Then, simultaneously, Danny and I played the winners bracket match, while Allen and Teddy played the losers side match. Danny got out of the gate early, jumping to a lead of 102-23. He missed a shot, and I answered with a 112. I missed an awkward break shot needing only the 15 on the table for the win. That hurt, lol. But then Danny was a little cold, and only ran 8. I finished the rack, broke, and my cueball got a little away from me downtable. I had a makeable ball, and felt loose, but the poolroom phone rang during one of my practice strokes, lol. It was entirely my fault that I missed the ball, as I had a good three seconds to get back up. But I didn't, lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I knew that at that point, after missing twice needing 15 balls or less, Danny wasn't going to let me win the game. He's too strong a player to see such weakness and let me off the hook. It was almost a formality as he ran his remaining 40 for a well-deserved win in an exciting game.

At the same time, Teddy was beating Allen. I didn't see much of the game, though I think it was very close. Anyway, while Teddy was at the table, Allen got to watch most of my run. That was cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Down to the final three, I played Teddy to get to the finals. I started off quickly, and jumped to a 100-15 lead. Teddy came roaring back with a 65 to close the lead to 20. Teddy is a strong straight pool player, and when he missed, I was a little shocked. He looked like he was going to run out on me. Anyway, I capitalized and ran the 50-and-out for the win.

So there we were, traveling partners and friends, playing for the title. It was a fairly sloppy game, as there were more than a few open-misses. Neither of us ran a bunch of balls, and at the end, Mr. Barouty beat me 200-155.

I had a great time, as usual. I want to thank Harry, Pete, and the wait staff for their hospitality and graciousness. It was, as always, a wonderful tournament.

Hopefully I can upload some pics I took later.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

- Steve

08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Steve, did Tom Walter's comb-over stay in place throughout the entire event? Congratulations on your great showing! GF

Steve Lipsky
08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks George. No, the hair was flying around a bit. But, I'll tell you, Tommy's still a phenomenal player. A real fighter. He makes you earn your wins.

Why don't you come out to Jersey for the 14.1 tournament next month, George?

- Steve

Rich R.
08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Great finish Steve. That is a real tough crowd.
Maybe you will get them in NJ.

houseman
08-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Congrats to you Steve and your partner in crime, Dan too.!!!!!!
Allan, whats up boyeeeeeeeee!!! run 145 and don`t win the tourney ??
Barbara, Guess Bob was wore out from his finish at Turning Stone,
Didn`t know Dave Daya played 14-1 so well.

Thank you Harry for hosting this year and Thanks to my man Pete for everything as usual.
Hope to see you all back in Downingtown in 2006

the houseman
Mickey

CarolNYC
08-31-2005, 02:10 AM
Good going Steve!
Hmmmm 200-155 isnt too shabby /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Congratualtions to Danny,ONCE AGAIN!
See ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

100andout
08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Houseman!, What's up?, how's life up north? I'm totally homesick reading about the 14.1 tourny. I actually hit some balls down here at Browns billiards in Daytona last week, and ran a couple 40's/50's. Not bad for not playing in 2 years. It's a nice room with sweet Crowns and a bar, which is wierd coming from Pa. There's just NO straight pool players down here. Banks/9slop/1 pocket no prob getting a game. Anyway, tell everyone Missy and I said hey, see you in Nov/Dec? for the Holidays, .....Gerry

houseman
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
G-Man,
whats goin on? Glad to hear your playing a little again, I rarely play now, its just not fun anymore, its work to me. Looking forward to a visit from my florida friends. No action anywhere around anymore, their all playin poker now.
Stay in touch
the houseman

Barbara
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey Gerry!

Make it up to Frazer for the first week in November and I'm there with the JPNEWT tour!

And it may be open to the WPBA Touring Pros! Good place to see Karen, Julie, and Dawn for free! Maybe even Tiffany and Kim.

Barbara

Barbara
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey Houseman!

Do you think you could show Dirty Harry how this Internet thing works? I talked to him tonight about our November event and he was interested in how I knew about the 14.1 Invitational event results.

Okay, I know Sam has his back otherwise.

Love yas...

Barbara

houseman
09-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Barbara,
Getting Harry into the internet thing would be like getting my teeth to grow back. You know his son Chris, he works on computers for a living. I called Sammy and got the info for my website.
I`ll try to stop down to Harrys in Nov and say hi to you and all the ladies. Wish I could have them here, but not enough tables etc.

Barbara
09-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Mickey! It's Nuts for All!!

Harry's in for a $1000 added event with a Q (required) and Harry's opening the doors to the WPBA Pros!! Woohoo!!

I might have to twist PegLeg Pete's arm to throw in $50 for the first 9-ball break or first Break-and-Run. Or I'll do it, what the heck. Or we can colaborate with the dough.

I hope you'll make an appearance at some time during the weekend! I am so psyched to be back at Harry's!!

And good luck to Harry's wife for working with the Red Cross and going down to NOLA! I hope she stays in touch so maybe we can help out on the sidelines.

Barbara

houseman
09-01-2005, 08:29 PM
I should be able to be there before I open my room at 2:00 pm.
Would be nice to see all the girls play again.
Maybe the houseman will put up some cash for something.
God bless Harrys wife for helping those poor people. We don`t know how good we have it.