PDA

View Full Version : clear filler for hand carved cue

Raz
08-28-2005, 02:32 AM
was wondering if someone might be able to tell me how to go about clear filling in a hand carved cue with say some type of acrylic, apoxy, or any other material that would show off the carving but make the whole cue smooth?

Thanks,
Raz

Raz
08-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Alright, I don't know if I've got people befuddled or thinking I'm crazy. Either way I've been doing some research in regard to Acrylic Resins, Epoxys, and Poly Resins, and found that they all might do the trick however I'm still wondering about rigidity, weight, and how fragile the materials can be. Obviously I don't want something that will crack too easily and a little give would be nice. As far as the weight, well, I'd like to keep the cue within normal weight standards.

Anyone have any advice they could give me regarding these concerns or am I just losing my mind to even attempt this?

Thanks,
Raz

SPetty
08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
You might have better luck asking here:

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Please come back and let us know if you find an answer.

Drop1
08-30-2005, 06:37 PM
The type of resin you are talking about is available from Eager plastics in Chicago. web page (http://www.eagerplastics.com) First all you will use a two part urathane,that will take a beautiful polish. Some years back every moron with a saw had to make a log clock. The finish on those clocks were urathane resin. Most resins don't cure in the presence of oxygen,but you could try a clear gel coat used by fiber glass people, do part wait for it to get tacky,and wax over the gel wait a day and polish. This stuff is expensive,and toxic. You will need to add a catalyst,and the resulting heat could affect the original finish on the cue. Your best bet is to buy a book "Making Jewelry with Resin" You can get the book from Eager Plastics. Peter the owner is a nice guy,but he is busy all the time,and will refer you to the web page,for information. E-mail me if you have problems.

Raz
08-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Thank you both for the suggestions.

I've followed up on the AZbilliard link provided and am waiting to be approved to post the question there and am looking into the chicago company.

I have looked into the gels and think I might have to go with one of them due to the fact that the carving is not just some scrawling but deep reliefs designed to stick outward. In otherwords a little over one third of the wood has been carved away and the fills are going to be quite deep. over a 1/4 of an inch in some places. Aside from the materials used to fill I'm also going to need to figure out if a mold will be needed and how to go about constructing it.

Thanks again for all the help and I will keep everyone posted on my results along with pictures of finished cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~Raz