PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Tom: a little humanity

Leviathan
08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
A friend and I played a few games of 8-ball the other day. My friend is having a lot of trouble with his short-term memory these days; he can no longer make and remember a plan like "first the 3 here, then the 2 there, and down and back for the 8 there." He almost never plays the balls in the right order and almost never gets out.

My buddy got it right just one time the other day, playing the last three balls in his group in the right sequence--but he choked his third shot a little and left himself a long cut on the 8. He hasn't been making many tough shots lately, but he made this one. He was delighted. It was more than making a shot and winning a game; it was a victory over his increasing debility.

One of the room's best players was standing nearby and saw all of this. He congratulated my friend very cordially, made a lot of his nice out. This meant a lot to my friend. Honest to god, it's good to see an act of ordinary humanity now and then. I'm always glad to see something like this in a pool room.

SPetty
08-28-2005, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Honest to god, it's good to see an act of ordinary humanity now and then. I'm always glad to see something like this in a pool room. <hr /></blockquote>Great story, Leviathan. I'm glad you shared.

dg-in-centralpa
08-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Such a simple act of kindness will do wonders for your friend. This is something he will always remember.

DG