PDA

View Full Version : Super Aramith PRO CUP Cue Ball

Virgil_Starkwell
08-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Just bought one at my local shop and was unhappy to find that the ball is larger (by about 2mm) and heavier (by about one-half a gram) than my set of Aramith Premium balls. At a price of $34.99, I was forced to get the salesperson to agree to take the ball back if it wasn't exactly the same as the same as my set.

I don't have to mention it, but I will. A heavier cue ball follows easier and draws harder -- and a larger diameter cue ball requires a slightly different contact point for pocketing the object ball.

I emailed Aramith at www.aramith.com (http://www.aramith.com), questioning the difference in dimensions. When they reply, I'll post it here.

Bob_Jewett
08-28-2005, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Virgil_Starkwell:</font><hr> Just bought one at my local shop and was unhappy to find that the ball is larger (by about 2mm) and heavier (by about one-half a gram) than my set of Aramith Premium balls. At a price of $34.99, I was forced to get the salesperson to agree to take the ball back if it wasn't exactly the same as the same as my set.
... <hr /></blockquote>

I'm incredulous. All the new Aramith pool balls I've measured recently have been within 0.002 inches of correct, which is 1/20th (0.05) of a millimeter. The balls should be 2.250 +-0.005 inches in diameter -- that tolerance is about one eighth of a millimeter.

Are you sure you didn't get a spotted carom ball? (61.5mm vs 57.15mm)

Half a gram heavy on the cue ball is not enough to worry about. It will be the same weight as the object balls soon enough.

On the other hand, if by 2mm you meant 2 mils (thousandths of an inch), then I'm afraid that what you have is within spec and much better than you will routinely find in normal play.

Cueless Joey
08-29-2005, 09:22 AM
I think those polka dot cueballs are recycled bar box cueballs.
I hate 'em and so do a lot of people.
Too freakin' heavy.

ras314
08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
My super aramith pro cup cb weighs 5.95 oz.

The cb from my Super Armith Pro set weighs 5.95 oz. The average weight of the 15 balls is 5.95 oz, lightest 5.93 and heaviest 5.99 oz.

These were weighed on an electronic scale with a resoulution of 0.01 grams, converted to ounces and rounded to the nearest 0.01 ounce.

Something sounds wrong, are there some fakes floating around?

Fred Agnir
08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Virgil_Starkwell:</font><hr> Just bought one at my local shop and was unhappy to find that the ball is larger (by about 2mm) and heavier (by about one-half a gram) than my set of Aramith Premium balls. At a price of $34.99, I was forced to get the salesperson to agree to take the ball back if it wasn't exactly the same as the same as my set. <hr /></blockquote> 2mm?? That can't be right. That's about .080"

Fred

Beaver
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I bought my set of Super Pros (tv) with the pro cup cb a few months ago and anyone saying that the new cb is heavier or bigger than the rest of the balls ...well is just full of crap.

Gayle in MD
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Not to be disagreeable, but I have one, and I love it. It doesn't seem any heavier or bigger to me, and has been great to help me improve on using side english. I'll be interested in learning what the poster learns from the company.

Gayle in Md....