PDA

View Full Version : Why I do not to support IPT - Part II

Harold Acosta
08-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I have read most of the responses to my initial thread of why not to support the IPT. Just for the record, I support Mr. Ian Anderson - WPA President one-hundred percent on this issue; and it is sad to see how people react to the truth of the matter.

It seems that many of the posters were in a rush to post their opinions on the subject instead of completely reading and analyzing the piece objectively. Most everyone talking about the WPA not getting "a piece of the action", about the "WPA being scared", and many other trivial issues.

Very few noticed that the WPA is trying, among other matters, to protect the players; the up and coming youngsters; the people supporting and heading the Federations, Event Promoters, etc. The WPA is here to have a uniform ranking of World Players, to afford the opportunities to all World Class Players and up-coming players to participate in "true World Championships"; to promote the sport around the world, and to return money into new tournaments, etc.

But no, it seems we want Pool to "sell-out to the highest bidder' forgetting about rules and regulations that are set to have a certain "order" to do things the "right way" concerning our beloved sport.

I'm not saying that the WPA is the "Police for the Pool World" but what I am saying is that if we want our sport to be successfull, why do we promote rebel causes?

The IPT will do a lot of harm since the tour is more about making money than promoting the sport. The WCBS, WPA, IBSF, UMB, etc., have worked long and hard on the idea of having any of the major disciplines accepted into the Olympic program, but every now and then, something comes up in Pool that sets us back again. The sad part of it all is that it always has to do with the dark side of pool; the hustling, the gambling, the sell-outs, shady characters, etc.

Why are people supporting the IPT if there is no space for the amateurs and semi-pros?

Why do people support a shady character at the helm of the tour?

Why do people always want to promote the sport as a "Gentlemen Sport" but behave to the contrary when there is money involved? Why do people "sell-out" like this?

Why complain about pool not advancing but then be eager to support someone who is not helping to advance the sport?

Again, it was truly amazing and disappointing to read some of the posts. All those arguments in favor of the IPT and the trashing of the WPA. I could only think that obviously many people don't understand what goes on behind the curtains or what it takes to head or support an organization that is looking out for the sport instead of what goes into the bank account for personal gain.

The IPT will not help us one bit. I cannot understand the "blindness" of many people, but then everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

Steve Lipsky
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Harold, with all due respect, the WPA's influence in America is so scarce that I honestly thought it was just a EurAsian organization.

Your post implies that the players should care less about finally getting a real paycheck than they do about seeing the sport in the Olympics. I do not only speak for myself here: this is a goal that many people within the sport do not support (if the lobbying process removes significant monies from existing prize funds).

I don't know how long the WPA has been around (again, its influence in the US is almost nonexistent), but I don't see prize funds in their tournaments growing by leaps and bounds.

Harold, I have no idea about this guy Trudeau. Maybe the IPT is a big sham. But one thing I know for sure is that the WPA has pretty much done nothing for US pool. Ian claims to have viewership of 500 million people. How can it be that our players are still starving? Maybe we should let someone else have a try. It can't get worse.

- Steve

P.S. Your compatriot, Alan Rolon, played at the Big Apple in Queens. He's a tremendous player, btw. I think he came in 7th/8th or 9th-12th. After expenses I'm sure he lost money. I'd be curious to see if he would rather play for larger prize funds or see pool in the Olympics.

dad8
08-29-2005, 11:43 AM
What has the WPA done to produce a better pay out for players NOT MUCH.I just know every player I know can't wait to get a shot at 150.000.I think Mike is pleased with his payday.If this IPT fails so what it want effect a thing a few more players will have a little more cash.The WPA should get off there butts and do more to promote the game and get the backing they need to produce better pay outs.

jjinfla
08-31-2005, 05:57 AM
Well, if a person like Steve Lipsky doesn't know too much about the WPA then that should speak volumes about what the pool playing community in the USA knows about the WPA. Not too much.

Why are you and the WPA so against the IPT being successful?
Event one was a success. Now let's see what event #2 in November will be like.

Have you and the WPA told your members that they are not allowed to participate in the IPT?

I personally think the IPT will be a lot better for the players then it will be for me the spectator. Now I can go all over Florida and watch the pros play for free. If the IPT becomes successful then I will have to pay to watch the pros play. Just like in any other sporting event where the pros make a lot of money.

But that's okay, at least then I will be paying to watch the real pros play and not have to suffer watching the scrubs.

Jake

nhp
08-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Harold, nobody gives a crap about Trudeau's background if he is offering players the chance to make much more money than the WPA or anyone has ever offered. It's all about money. Nobody gives a crap about the WPA if someone else comes along and is going to make events with a few hundred thousand added, or even a million. What you and the WPA don't seem to understand, is what Trudeau is doing is the hopes and dreams of almost every pro pool player alive. They all feel that this is finally their chance to get the money that the sport deserves. The game is so tough, and to compete for a $5000 first place is just plain STUPID. I don't give a [censored] about Trudeau's background, and I don't care if he even uses the tournaments to advertise his book or whatever. If he is giving alot more money to pool players, than SCREW any other organization, including the WPA. Any real pool player would wait and see if all of this is true, and if it is, they would be happy for other pool players to finally be able to make some money. People who won't be happy are pricks who don't belong in the sport.

One thing to keep in mind- HE CANT RIP OFF POOL PLAYERS IF THEY DONT HAVE ANY MONEY TO BEGIN WITH.

Irish
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
How about giving KT a chance to prove himself rather then the endless threads you keep starting that are nothing more then slandor of a guy that may bring pool to the forfront at long last which is something noone in the last 20 years has been able to do despite countless chances.

Ian Anderson comes off like a whiner in the original email, crying because the WPA did not get its due respect and money that he feels it deserves. What does it deserve any money for? I had to watch the WPA on my computer screen as a feed of Taiwan TV because the WPA has been a completely useless organization at promoting and marketing pool to America, and as far as Asia goes they market the sport themselves and love it, the WPA going there once a year to run a tourney is not doing much to add to their love of the sport there and it is doing NOTHING to improve the sport here.

How long do we want to give the WPA and other organizations a chance? They have been sitting on their asses doing sweet [censored] all for years now and suddenly when someone shows up that may make the sport huge and does not include their useless asses they get all mad and send off their slander crew of Harold Acosta and friends to try and destroy the organization before it ever has a chance to get off the ground.

Screw off Harold, I actually want to see pool succeed and become a big sport before I die, I am 29 years old now and if it is left in the hands of the WPA and other organizations I will never see pool any better off then it is now because those people are completely friggin useless. They have done bugger all to make this sport grow, they suck at promoting it, they suck at marketing it, they suck at presenting it. They are scared now because someone has shown up with the skills and funds to actually promote, market, and present this sport in a manner that it could be huge and become extremely popular and that scares the hell out of the WPA and the other useless people who have been in charge of this dying sport of ours.

Barbara
08-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Harold,

With all due respect, are you one of the struggling pool playing pros trying to eke out a living in this sport? The WPA is asking for a handout it doesn't deserve, IMO. So they don't get it and now they just want to slander KT any way they can. I don't see the WPA putting up their own pocket money for an event.

Let's just all sit back and watch how the next KT event goes.

Barbara

Vagabond
09-03-2005, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Harold,

With all due respect, are you one of the struggling pool playing pros trying to eke out a living in this sport? The WPA is asking for a handout it doesn't deserve, IMO. So they don't get it and now they just want to slander KT any way they can. I don't see the WPA putting up their own pocket money for an event.

Let's just all sit back and watch how the next KT event goes.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,
Well said.
vagabond

Vagabond
09-03-2005, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr>

Again, it was truly amazing and disappointing to read some of the posts. All those arguments in favor of the IPT and the trashing of the WPA. I could only think that obviously many people don't understand what goes on behind the curtains or what it takes to head or support an organization that is looking out for the sport instead of what goes into the bank account for personal ga

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

<hr /></blockquote>

Hello Mr.Smart Sir,
I may be dumb and retarded but I do not appreciate patronization. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Vagabond

Qtec
09-03-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they get all mad and send off their slander crew of Harold Acosta and friends to try and destroy the organization before it ever has a chance to get off the ground.
<hr /></blockquote>

Slander? What slander? Be specific.
You accuse Harold 'and crew' /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and the WPA of conspiring to bring down the IPT. I would call THAT slander.
I,m sure that 99% of the board members would agree with me that whatever Harold said , he said it with the best intentions.
I think you owe someone an apology.

Qtec.

Irish
09-03-2005, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
they get all mad and send off their slander crew of Harold Acosta and friends to try and destroy the organization before it ever has a chance to get off the ground.
<hr /></blockquote>

Slander? What slander? Be specific.
You accuse Harold 'and crew' /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and the WPA of conspiring to bring down the IPT. I would call THAT slander.
I,m sure that 99% of the board members would agree with me that whatever Harold said , he said it with the best intentions.
I think you owe someone an apology.

Qtec. <hr /></blockquote>

Coming from a known member of the slander crew

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Its sad that pool is in such a state[ in the US] that a con-man waves a few bills around and everyone forgets their morals and goes gaga<hr /></blockquote>

nhp
09-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Uh oh, the president of the Puerto Rican Billiard Federation doesn't support the IPT. How many pool players are there in Puerto Rico? Like four?

DialUp
09-04-2005, 10:10 AM
You are a fool, Harold...

Its always funny when somebody tries to convince you that money is worth less than what they offer. In this case its morals lol

Don't you know that morals ALWAYS, ALWAYS loses to cash.

I hope the IPT crushes all orgs who try to sell Kevin's past to me as a comodity instead of compete, with dollars, like the rest of the "real" world. I also hope he taunts, points, and laughs at the drowning pool tours /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What has a lesser moral value? Trying to cash in on his bad name or creating his bad name? I think they are both deplorable and I have disrespect for both BUT, I have less respect for the WPA since they launched a negative campaign...

denoandrews
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Harold wrote: "Very few noticed that the WPA is trying, among other matters, to protect the players; the up and coming youngsters;..."

Protect the players from what, making a decent living? If that is their mission, they have been very successful thus far.

Deno Andrews

Qtec
09-07-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What has a lesser moral value? Trying to cash in on his bad name or creating his bad name? <hr /></blockquote>

The only person who created KT's bad name is KT himself! I dont think its unreasonable for the WPA to inform us of the facts about the IPT and who is behind it.

Up till now, the IPT has done nothing for the sport.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you know that morals ALWAYS, ALWAYS loses to cash.

<hr /></blockquote>

So I guess you think sharking, cheating etc is OK as long as you win more money? Would you deliberately lose in the final of the US Open if someone paid you enough?

You obviously dont have any idea what sport is really about, do you?

Qtec

Qtec
09-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Once again I ask you, "show me where I slandered KT?"

If you cant, please refrain from slandering me with your false accusations!

Qtec............actually its called Libel . ie written as oppossed to speaking..

Rich R.
09-07-2005, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Up till now, the IPT has done nothing for the sport. <hr /></blockquote>
Up till now, the IPT didn't exist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why not give them a fair chance and see what they will do.
I have hear nothing bad about their first event and it was a great pay day for both players.

DialUp
09-08-2005, 01:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
So I guess you think sharking, cheating etc is OK as long as you win more money? Would you deliberately lose in the final of the US Open if someone paid you enough?<hr /></blockquote>
What makes you ask me that? I am just stating "the way it is", Ray Charles could even see that part of the world.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
You obviously dont have any idea what sport is really about, do you?
<hr /></blockquote>
I know what it is about for me. Why do you ask?

Qtec, you must be an idealist, I am a realist. Nothing wrong with being efficient in my thinking, now is there? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif