PDA

View Full Version : CROSS DOMINANCE

Ralph S.
08-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone. I went to the optometrist today to get eyes checked and my new glasses ordered. While in the exam chair, the doctor noticed my shirt and asked about my pool playing. The small talk led to a short discussion about ones dominant eye. I told him that I was unsure of which one was my dominant eye, and after a simple test I found out.

My dominant eye is my left eye, though I am right handed. He said that many people are cross-dominant in this manner. I was just curious how many people here are cross-dominant, meaning the dominant eye is opposite of their dominant hand. Left-right or right-left. My eyes deteriorated very slightly, just enough to warrant a prescription change in my lenses. I am just thankful I haven't reached the point of the coke bottle lenses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nostalgia
08-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Strongly left-eye dominant here. I've tried shooting left-handed, but can't get it. I learned to shoot a rifle and a bow left-handed, but shooting pool ain't gonna happen that way /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was fortunate enough to have a few lessons with Fran Crimi, and she made some adjustments to my stance, approach and backswing that have made an enormous difference in the way I see and shoot the balls. I'm finally running 9-ball racks with something like regularity /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

TedKaufman
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I've noticed quite a few pool players are cross dominant. A couple of pretty fair players who come to mind are Willie Mosconi and Mike Siegel.

Snapshot9
10-13-2005, 03:16 AM
I am right handed, but do several things left handed too.
I believe my left eye is the dominant one. My left contact
is for distances, and my right is for close up. My Dad switched me over from a lefty to a righty when I was 3 because
growing up left handed in sports back then was difficult.

TedKaufman
10-13-2005, 08:48 AM
I know Mike Sigel does most things right handed--golf, throw, etc.--yet he shoots pool lefty, with his right eye over the cue, or cross dominant. It's worked out pretty well for him.

I had seen Willie Mosconi do a couple of exhibitions in the late 60's or early 70's, when I wasn't aware of dominant eye aiming, so I didn't notice how he aimed. But recently I saw him on ESPN Classics and noticed he aimed with his left eye over the cue. So he's another pretty amazing shotmaker who's cross dominant.

Bob_Jewett
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>... My dominant eye is my left eye, though I am right handed.... <hr /></blockquote>
That's my case, too. My problem was, and still is, to some extent, that I tend to have my right eye over the shot. This causes me to not line up on the center of the cue ball when I want to, unless I'm very careful.

rackem
10-26-2005, 12:28 PM
YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT CROSS DOMINANCE LIKE IT'S A BAD THING. ACTUALLY I FEEL IT IS AN ADVANTAGE. WITH A PROPER STANCE THE OPOSITE EYE IS THE FORWARD EYE WHICH SITS NATURALLY OVER THE CUE. I HAVE HAD LASIK SURGERY DONE TO JUST MY LEFT EYE NOT ONLY FOR POOL BUT ALSO SO THAT I WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO READ AND SEE CLOSEUP WITHOUT GLASSES. I WORE GLASSES SINCE I WAS YOUNG AND NOW I GET BY GREAT WITHOUT THEM AND MY GAME HAS IMPROVED. MAYBE NOT FOR EVERYONE, BUT FOR ME MONOVISION WAS THE ANSWER. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jal
10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr> I know Mike Sigel does most things right handed--golf, throw, etc.--yet he shoots pool lefty, with his right eye over the cue, or cross dominant. It's worked out pretty well for him.

I had seen Willie Mosconi do a couple of exhibitions in the late 60's or early 70's, when I wasn't aware of dominant eye aiming, so I didn't notice how he aimed. But recently I saw him on ESPN Classics and noticed he aimed with his left eye over the cue. So he's another pretty amazing shotmaker who's cross dominant. <hr /></blockquote>Jim Rempe can be added to the list. Given these names you would think it offers quite an advantage, but alas, so am I.

According to an instructional video, about 5% of the population has no dominant eye and are prone to parallax errors. Loree Jon Jones is one of them and must compensate with judgement.

Jim

TedKaufman
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
That's interesting--I always thought all people had a dominant eye.

In any case, it's clear you can be dominant eye/hand, cross dominant, non-dominant, binoculared and in Earl Strickland's case, phantom eye dominant, and as long as you are consistent, you can learn to shoot great pool.

SPetty
10-26-2005, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr> That's interesting--I always thought all people had a dominant eye.<hr /></blockquote>Nope. And that's what fosters a lot of dominant eye debate, I think. I spent my entire life without a dominant eye. My mother doesn't have a dominant eye either. It's only been since I started playing pool that I've recently started developing a dominance shift slightly towards my right eye.

There's also degrees of dominance. Some people have a strongly dominant eye, and some have a weakly dominant eye.

To your consistency point - it's difficult to be consistent when your vision is changing.

HALHOULE
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
You're on your way now, no way but up, up, and away! GO SIC'EM!

HAL

wolfdancer
10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
The one guy in all creation, with the perfect vision for pool
Polyphemus....handsome devil that he was.
http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/000Images/pim/polyphemus2-3717.JPG

TedKaufman
10-29-2005, 02:45 PM
By consistent, I meant to set up consistently. No matter what one's dominant way of seeing, if you set up the same way every time, you will have the opportunity to learn from a consistent pattern. In which case, that way of seeing (right or wrong, technically) will become your learned way of seeing, and if adheared to, will afford consistent results. This is assuming of course the player has proper mechanics and a repeatable stroke.

silverbullet
10-29-2005, 04:44 PM
I do not think I have any dominance. I can do things with either eye, hand or foot. The only thing that I know of that I cannot do with my left hand is cut the nails on my right hand with scissors. LOL

Laura

HALHOULE
10-29-2005, 09:50 PM
EVERY ONE IS HAPPY ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS

HALHOULE
10-29-2005, 10:07 PM
SETTING UP HOW? IT IS YOUR EYE BALLS THAT SET UP SHOTS, NOT YOUR FEET, TORSO, ARM. IT IS ALL ABOUT EYEBALLS. YOUR EYE BALLS AIM A TO B. IT IS VERY EASY TO LINE UP A TO B, BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS THE SAME SHOT, NO MATTER THE ANGLE OF SHOT. THERE IS THE A ON THE CUE BALL AND THE B ON THE OBJECT BALL, AND THE A AND B NEVER CHANGE THEIR POSITION FOR ANY SHOT.I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CONTACT POINTS.