PDA

View Full Version : are ferrules universal?

eat_sleep_pool
08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
recently my ferrule cracked and i brought my cue in and i talked to him and he said he couldnt fix it he even said he couldnt order one for it.. whats really going on here i would have thought there all pretty much the same.. and answers for me??

Bob_Jewett
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eat_sleep_pool:</font><hr> recently my ferrule cracked and i brought my cue in and i talked to him and he said he couldnt fix it he even said he couldnt order one for it.. whats really going on here i would have thought there all pretty much the same.. and answers for me?? <hr /></blockquote>
Several manufacturers have special ferrules that are intended to reduce squirt (which is sometimes mistakenly called "deflection"). It's what happens to the ball when you hit it for side spin. At any rate, the cue repair guy may not be able to get the kind of ferrule that came on your cue.

There are lots of different kinds of ferrule -- various plastics, bone, ivory, brass -- different lengths from over an inch down to about half an inch down to no ferrule at all. I'd say there is at least as much variation in ferrules as there is in wraps.

Cueless Joey
08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Popular ferrules have inside dimension of .250" or .312".
Most threaded ones are 5/18 18.
Non-threaded ones are the 1/4 or 5/16 variety.
If your shaft's tenon size is odd, a repairman must fabricate one to fit it.

Ralph S.
08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
What kind of cue are you talking about? Replacing ferrules is a job that any cue repairman or maker should be able to do unless damaged beyond repair. What is the make of your cue? Meucci, McDermott, Joss, Viking, etc.?

eat_sleep_pool
08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
The cue is actually a Cuetec, by mike massey "DEVASTATION"
I guess its kinda a special cue.

Cueless Joey
08-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Heck, it's easy to replace.
Even if the repairman has to retenon it.
Drill a 5/16 hole. Glue in a flutted wood tenon.
Thread it for the ferrule.
Done deal.
5-minute epoxy on both parts will get it done it an hour easily. Melamine ferrule won't crack unless you really whack it and is great for breaking.