PDA

View Full Version : Voice of the People

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2005, 08:15 AM
This is a daily section in the New York Daily News. It basically voices the people's opinions. These were a couple of quotes that I found particularly interesting:

Holy Ground
Encino, Calif.: Ground Zero is a cemetery; my nephew was killed in the WTC and his remains are buried there. No group should be allowed to place anything there. There should be one or two office buildings and a memorial to the 9/11 victims, period. Anything else is an utter insult and a brutal slap in the face to the victims and their families.
- Marian Farkas

The War at Home
Manhattan: We are fighting a war in Iraq where young men are dying. We are also fighting a war in America where young men are dying. President Bush seems to care more about losing an endless battle in a foreign country than about what's happening in our country. Let's stop violence here in America, then worry about others.
- Willa F. Brown

He's Outta Here
Brooklyn: President Bush does not have an exit plan for our troops to get out of Iraq, but he sure has an exit plan for himself. It's called 2008.
- Ron Goldstein

Empty the Jails
Holbrook, LI: Why doesn't our fearless leader use our full prison system for cannon fodder? The prisons are full of able-bodied men who can do the job. Brink back our troops and send in the prisoners.
- Alexandra Broggy

Definitions
Bronx: The difference between a liberal and a conservative: The liberal will wrap himself in the Constitution and burn the flag, while the conservative will wrap himself in the flag and burn the Constitution.
- Fred Deschler

Cindy's Al-batross
Bethpage, LI: I knew there was something I didn't like about Cindy Sheehan--Al Sharpton.
- Dennis Quealy

Selective Outrage
North Bellmore, LI: While the death of Cindy Sheehan's son is a tragedy, during the same time period that fewer than 1,900 Americans were killed doing what they voluntarily signed up for, more than 30,000 Americans were killed in drunken driving-related accidents, and many of the victims were not even drinking. Will Sheehan and the others be protesting outside bars? Will the Rev. Al also be attempting to stop the black-on-black violence that kills far more blacks in our own cities than the war ever will? I doubt it, being, of course, that there is no underlying political agenda there.
- Chris Poppe