PDA

View Full Version : the problem with pool halls

Thunderduck
08-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Im burnt out with the local pool halls in Dallas for several reasons. I have decided not to play in them anymore. My main concern is the forced ritual of having to provide your driver's license just to be able to play. Recently a pool hall lost my license, costing me a lot of time and money, not to mention the problems Ive had with identity theft issues now that my license is gone.

I recently requested at a pool hall that I not be required to give my license, but offered 50 dollars or even my credit card and watch. "Sorry sir, we're afraid that is the only way to prevent people from stealing our pool balls." Now this is what I call ridiculous! They are actually accusing me of being a potential thief, and refusing to accept anything except the most irreplacable item in my wallet for 15 replacable stupid balls...

Other reasons Im burnt out is the pressure to order drinks once you're on the table. I actually shoot bad pool when Im drunk and prefer to practice sober... that doesnt prevent 4 or 5 waitresses from flagging me down each time I play. Then they make you feel guilty for not giving their bar more money!

Wow, I think I'll play pool in some smelly basement from now on...

Does this ring true for anyone else?

Tduck

JPB
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
bring a set of balls with you and see what they say then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cane
08-31-2005, 11:53 PM
nah, the Drivers License thing doesn't bother me at all. I've rendered mine in pool halls from Dallas (and most of it's suburbs) to Little Rock to Tulsa to Memphis to Grand Rapids... hell, even in Fort Smith, AR. I guess, as a former room owner/operator, I understand why they want it. I didn't worry so much about people stealing the balls, but before we started taking drivers license as a "deposit" when you got the table, we'd have a lot of people simply disappear, leaving the balls on the tables and not pay their table time. I guarantee, when you have their driver's license, they'll bring the balls back and pay the table time.

As far as the drinks go... hell, sometimes I have a few beers when I'm playing, but generally I just drink soft drinks or juice or even just club soda, but I always tip the waitress that brings me whatever I'm drinking. That keeps the waitresses happy and if the waitress is happy, she'll keep the customer happy.

So... I'll continue to leave my driver's license for a deposit on table time, and continue to drink my soft drinks (good profit margin on those for bars... they don't mind if you don't drink alcohol) and continue to play pool in the venue that I enjoy playing in.

Later,
Bob

SPetty
09-01-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I guarantee, when you have their driver's license, they'll bring the balls back and pay the table time.<hr /></blockquote>Seems to me that a $50 bill would do the same and should be accepted by the business and is a good compromise if you're reluctant to leave your driver's license.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tduck:</font><hr>Wow, I think I'll play pool in some smelly basement from now on...<hr /></blockquote>Uh, Tduck, are you new to this Texas thing? We don't normally have basements here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cane
09-01-2005, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Seems to me that a $50 bill would do the same and should be accepted by the business and is a good compromise if you're reluctant to leave your driver's license.

<font color="blue">Spetty, Probably would work, but businesses tend to want to do things consistently and taking one customer's DL and another's $50 would get confusing... gotta remember, for the wages we (room owners, bar owners, etc) pay, we don't get rocket scientists on the payroll... the simpler the system, the better. </font color>

Uh, Tduck, are you new to this Texas thing? We don't normally have basements here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yep, In OK or TX if you build a basement, you'd better dig it deep enough that you can put a diving board on the edge of it, cause it WILL be an indoor swimming pool... </font color>

Later,
Bob

quelicin
09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't like giving up my license either, but I don't think that you have to worry too much about identity theft with just giving up your license. All creditors require a SSN in order to grant credit. A driver's license is not good enough to obtain credit.

Also, if anyone wanted to get your name and address, it's not that difficult to do. If you own your home, anyone can obtain your address and name from the County Appraisal Districts office, it's a matter of public record. I would be more worried about internet hackers than the local pool hall. LatER.

~Ken

Thunderduck
09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quelicin:</font><hr> I don't like giving up my license either, but I don't think that you have to worry too much about identity theft with just giving up your license. All creditors require a SSN in order to grant credit. A driver's license is not good enough to obtain credit.

Also, if anyone wanted to get your name and address, it's not that difficult to do. If you own your home, anyone can obtain your address and name from the County Appraisal Districts office, it's a matter of public record. I would be more worried about internet hackers than the local pool hall. LatER.

~Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Im not so worried about fraud as I am with having to wait 5 hours at the DMV because I wanted to shoot pool. Bottom line is if they dont trust me to pay, I dont trust them to keep my property safe either.

Ralph S.
09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I would simply request that they reimburse you the cost of the new liscence and a small fee for your time. If they refuse, there is always small claims court. Once the DL was in their possession, it is their responsibility.

Ralph S.
09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like giving up my license either, but I don't think that you have to worry too much about identity theft with just giving up your license. All creditors require a SSN in order to grant credit. A driver's license is not good enough to obtain credit.
<hr /></blockquote>

Some states use a persons SSN as the DL#. Here in Indiana you have the choice to have your SSN on the liscence or not. I dentity theives are very smart. The really good ones just need a name. With an address, they can make a persons life hell.

randyg
09-01-2005, 11:07 AM
THUNDERDUCK: Where do you find a Pool Hall in Dallas? Most everything here are bars with pool tables....randyg

Bob_Jewett
09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> Im burnt out with the local pool halls in Dallas for several reasons. I have decided not to play in them anymore. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like you need to move. Where I play, they don't require an ID. Clean Simonis 860 on the all-full-sized GC pool tables. Carom and snooker available, and the 6x12 snooker tables have real English cloth. While there is a wait_person, they don't force you to buy anything, and there are no mixed drinks available -- just beer and soft drinks. The best part is that no one smokes.

Billy
09-01-2005, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr>of having to provide your driver's license just to be able to play. Recently a pool hall lost my license,

<font color="blue"> </font color> it would be or should be totally illegal for someone other than law enforcement to hold your identification for any length of time - an alternative would be to let them actually run your credit card nunber.They'd have all the information they now need if there was a problem

Other reasons Im burnt out is the pressure to order drinks once you're on the table.

<font color="blue"> </font color> sorry ... but that's their job - simply say 'no thank you' if you don't want service at this time

Tduck

<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I also had my liscense stolen from behind the bar at one of the local Dallas pool hall, AND YES I call then pool halls, like most everyone I run with does. Anyway, the house I play out of regularly is about as trustworty as I can imagine so I don't balk much at them wanting an ID, but the CC works as well as my DL, either way I feel safe there. NOW if I was to travel around town I wouldn't like it at all and probably not play at those houses, unless they were really upscale and/or they accepted the CC for the deposit. My team mates bitch themselves out of having to give up the identity and I probably could use them for a springboard in my defense, but I figure, "Hey the bartender is just following orders" and these are people I call friends just because I see them so often....sid

DickLeonard
09-01-2005, 02:29 PM
JPB I think they would accuse you of stealing the balls from them. Unless you had a bill of sale to prove they are your balls.

Wait this could be a SKeTCH for Staurday Night Live. NO their My Balls, you'll have to give me a DNA sample to prove their your Balls. Won't a bill of Sale do. That doesn't prove anything we'll need your DNA.####

SPetty
09-01-2005, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Where I play, they don't require an ID. Clean Simonis 860 on the all-full-sized GC pool tables. Carom and snooker available, and the 6x12 snooker tables have real English cloth. While there is a wait_person, they don't force you to buy anything, and there are no mixed drinks available -- just beer and soft drinks. The best part is that no one smokes. <hr /></blockquote>The only place we can play like that in the Dallas area is in our minds!

I'm very jealous. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

ras314
09-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I keep an expired drivers license handy for pool halls, so far no problem.

Usually helps keep the beer girls away if I stare at their chest and slobber a bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Might even forget the pool if they don't stay away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BANKS77
09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I would never leave a license or id with a pool hall like some of the old bowling alleys do. Here in Chicago, pool rooms are run in an honest fashion, no id required. NEVER, NEVER leave a DL, offer a cash deposit and if declined WALK..... Voting with your feet is the best remedy.

Thunderduck
09-01-2005, 11:41 PM
RandyG, I play at Dave and Busters always... do you consider that a hall?

Ok, I'm using a fake id from now on, plus Im bringing my own balls to the hall, plus I'll order 4 cokes. Problem solved...

Rock on!

Tduck

Thunderduck
09-01-2005, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BANKS77:</font><hr> I would never leave a license or id with a pool hall like some of the old bowling alleys do. Here in Chicago, pool rooms are run in an honest fashion, no id required. NEVER, NEVER leave a DL, offer a cash deposit and if declined WALK..... Voting with your feet is the best remedy. <hr /></blockquote>

God bless you sir! A voice of reason!!!

theinel
09-02-2005, 02:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>Clean Simonis 860 on the all-full-sized GC pool tables. Carom and snooker available, and the 6x12 snooker tables have real English cloth &lt;...&gt; The best part is that no one smokes.<hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like a slice of heaven on Earth to me Bob. I lived in the Bay Area (San Ramon, CA) for a few years when I was a kid. I barely knew what pool was then but I had played a couple of times. I've tried to move back but Florida caught me a few years ago. When I first moved here I thought that FL hurricanes were a reasonable trade with CA earthquakes but after the last few years I think everyone in both states is at least partially insane.

On topic, there are a few places in my area that require ID's but only from people they don't know. It is annoying for regular supporters of the game to get hit with the "ID please" line from staffers (especially new and unexperienced ones) but it's almost impossible not to understand the request if you look at it from their perspective, even of it does hurt the ego a bit.

theinel
09-02-2005, 02:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>Wait this could be a SKeTCH for Staurday Night Live. NO their My Balls, you'll have to give me a DNA sample to prove their your Balls. Won't a bill of Sale do. That doesn't prove anything we'll need your DNA.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Dick, you should submit this to somebody at SNL. It would make a great skit and could somehow tie in with another skit they did a few years back with Alec Baldwin and his "Shweaty Balls".

nhp
09-02-2005, 03:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> Im burnt out with the local pool halls in Dallas for several reasons. I have decided not to play in them anymore. My main concern is the forced ritual of having to provide your driver's license just to be able to play. Recently a pool hall lost my license, costing me a lot of time and money, not to mention the problems Ive had with identity theft issues now that my license is gone.

I recently requested at a pool hall that I not be required to give my license, but offered 50 dollars or even my credit card and watch. "Sorry sir, we're afraid that is the only way to prevent people from stealing our pool balls." Now this is what I call ridiculous! They are actually accusing me of being a potential thief, and refusing to accept anything except the most irreplacable item in my wallet for 15 replacable stupid balls...

Other reasons Im burnt out is the pressure to order drinks once you're on the table. I actually shoot bad pool when Im drunk and prefer to practice sober... that doesnt prevent 4 or 5 waitresses from flagging me down each time I play. Then they make you feel guilty for not giving their bar more money!

Wow, I think I'll play pool in some smelly basement from now on...

Does this ring true for anyone else?

Tduck

<hr /></blockquote>

I worked at a poolhall for a few years, and we accepted ID's or credit cards as collateral. It is not only because someone might steal the balls. It's also a liability issue. The cloth on the tables is expensive, so are the balls. Customers come in, they slam balls around, slap the balls around with the house cues, they spill their drinks on the cloth, sometimes they snap house cues in half. Every time this happened, we either copied down their information and said we would send them a bill, or we kept their ID or their credit card. This didn't happen often, but it did happen. We had signs on the wall saying "No food or drinks on table, no sitting on table", etc. When customers damage the equipment they are supposed to pay for it if they did something reckless to cause the damage. I remember once someone brought up the balls and the 1-ball and cueball were missing from the ball tray. The guy who had the ball tray in his hands act like he didn't even notice. I asked him where the balls were, and he said "I dunno, they didn't come with the tray when you gave it to me" (lol) I busted out laughing and said that they most definately were in the tray, and that he would have to pay for the missing balls if they did not turn up. Then he said "You can't make me pay", and I said "We will not give back your ID unless we get the balls back or we are reimbursed for them, they are expensive and it is the customer's responsibility. Your ID is used for collateral" Once he realized this, he said "Oh I think I know where they might be", and he ran around the corner and came back with the balls. My friend said he saw him pull them out of his pocket LOL!!! This just goes to show that people try to get away with anything. If you are not a regular at the poolhall, don't expect any special treatment. It is their job to treat you exactly the same as a bunch of drunk gang bangers off the street, unless you get to know them and they realize they can trust you.

As for losing your license, that doesn't cost barely anything to replace, it just takes time. I don't understand how they could lose your ID. They give you the ball tray, and the ID goes in place of where the ball tray was. When you bring back the balls, they put the balls back and see your ID there. At least that's the way they are supposed to do it, so it doesn't get lost. Do they hang it up on the wall near a place where someone could just snatch it and run off? I don't understand how that could happen.

randyg
09-02-2005, 05:02 AM
THUNDERDUCK: I also like to play at D&amp;B. They certainly are not pool halls. They feature huge game rooms, great food and drink and oversized pockets on their A.E. Schmidt tables. Atmosphere is perfect for a game of pool....randyg

Perk
09-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Become a regular. Once a regular, you wont need to provide an ID most of the time.

pooldaddy9
09-02-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree, a deposit should be enough. I had the same thing happen once. They gave my license to the wrong person. I guess it was too much trouble to look at the picture and the name.

pooldaddy9

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2005, 07:53 AM
I've been a regular for 12 years+ and still get the routine of an ID. That analogy does not fit everyone, and NO, I don't steal pool balls, I tip well and have paid a small mortgage in bar bills. Go figure...sid

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Mine sprouted legs with all of the rest collected at the time in a centralized book where they were put behind the bar. Supposedly it was as easy as leaning over and lifting. My PH today does exactly the routine you mentioned, no probs...sid

BTW, why do you think anyone would chance getting caught stealing them if there wasn't monetary/criminal gain from the action? It doesn't make sense. sv

DickLeonard
09-03-2005, 02:31 PM
SPetty. I like that reply only in your mind. I was in the Bronx in the late 60s at Fieldstone Billiards to play the prop. Charlie'The Bear"Scalise, he had a meeting, so he called Larry Dix to see if he wanted to play some, by the time Larry had arrived, all the tables were going and a they had a waiting list of 20 names. Now this is the Bronx and you would have thought you were in St. Patricks Catherdal.####