PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Poster

SonOfASasquatch
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Dear CCB'ers,

After voyeuristically looking at this forum for quite some time I decided to sign up and become a member. Now I can voice my opinions and debate with fellow pool aficionados. Anyways, to get to the crux of my post, I've got a couple of questions about cues/repair. I was wondering if anyone had tried out the new smart shaft that they sell at billiardwarehouse.com. Seems like an interesting idea but the universal joint adaptor thingy makes me skeptical. I also bought some Loctite Super Glue Gel from my local hardware store to put some new tips on my cues. I don't know if I bought the right stuff. It came in an easy applicator bottle (4 mL). I was actually looking for Quick-Tite or that 454 stuff you guys seem to hot on but I couldn't find it. I think I actually have bought the Quick-Tite Gel but the packaging was changed for the Canadian market. When I was on the Loctite web-site I did a search for where I could buy the 454 and I couldn't find a place where I could buy it in Canada. I would also like to know if you guys/gals have any insight into tips. I accidentally had some Elkmasters put on my playing cues and I want to get a tip that plays better and isn't so squishy. I had a Talisman Pro Medium on my Dale Perry installed but it delaminated and I was kind of bummed. Was it just a bad tip? Should I try my luck and buy another one or the Talisman WB? I was also considering getting some of the Tiger tips. I just don't understand the difference between the Sniper, the Tiger, and the Everest tip. They all look the same to me. I like the feel of a medium hardness tip.I may end up just buying four or five different tips and seeing which one I like best. Although the Triangle I had on my Falcon J/B lasted me almost a year. I'm thinking about buying a box of 50 and practicing my retipping skills on some youth centre cues that need some love. I heard that you can put tips in milk to expand them and then put them in a vice to compress them down so they'll last longer. Does that work? I'd be interested to know if someone has tried it and the results they got. Also, this guy I know is selling his Predator 4k1 for 450 $ Canadian and I'm wondering if I should buy it or not. I just don't know if I like the hit of a Predator cue. I haven't tried one out long enough to really gauge if it would be a suitable playing cue for me. There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding Predators and other low deflection shafts. I don't want to buy something just because everyone else has one. I can get used to a new cue pretty quickly though. Hey, are there any Canucks on this forum? There must be a few. Anyway, I guess this ends my first post. Next time I'll try to make it more concise.

God Bless,

Pistol Pete

100andout
09-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Pheeeew!........now that's a first post!
How's it going Pete? I'll give a few of your questions a shot.
The quick gel works good for me. It gives you a little wiggle room while centering the tip.

As far as tips go, Working in the pool rooms years ago, I've tried most every tip that comes down the road. I don't like any tip thats real hard. The one I stuck with is the tried and true "Le Pro", also the Talisman medium was nice on my cue with the Ivory ferulle.

As far as soaking them in anything, or putting them in a vise....nah, people used to do stuff like that years ago to get a different hardness tip when you did'nt have many choices of tips.

The Predator cues did'nt fit my game for some reason? On most shots they were fine, but when playing slow spin, or real delicate shots, they had no feel. Just my opinion, tons of people swear by them. I'm just too used to the deflection of my normal cues by now.

And lastly, I'm not Canadien, but my friend is from Toronto!, does that count?:)..........Later.......Gerry

Sid_Vicious
09-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Pete,

"I also bought some Loctite Super Glue Gel from my local hardware store to put some new tips on my cues."

That is what I've used for years, good stuff. As far as tips, Triangle makes a good tip, but I use Moori H tips on my cues. Get your tip install skills honed before you install a Moori, costly if you ruin one of those.

I can't address all of your questions right now. A word of advice, limit your questions to fewer in a single post. You'll get more details IMO if you do that. You have all good questions though. Welcome!!!sid

Ralph S.
09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Hello and welcome. To try and help answer some questions, of all the tips I have installed, The Talisman pro medium is the best in my opinion. Those that I have put on my own personal cue have endured well.

Predtator cues aren't my cup of tea. The people here seem to be equally split when it comes to Preds. Just a personal preference for everyone.

Superglue gel works fine for installing tips, just reqires a little more caution because it sets up so fast.

c.holtz009
09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
It's nice to see a few more Canucks posting here. Welcome!! As far as the tip thing goes, I prefer the Sniper tip. I have had too many delamination issues with Talisman. I love the hit of the Talisman, but...
I use a McDermott cue with a Predator shaft, and I love it. I found once you get used to the Predator shaft, it's great to play with. Just like any other cue, you have to get used to it.

Pied Piper
09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Welcome northern bacon! Lots of questions there, but here is some of my personal preferences. For regards to glue, I like gorilla glue, loctite gel (gel being the key word), or fly fishing head cement (careful with that stuff, unless you are used to it, it can be tricky to mess around with). I attach a Moori Quick to the tip. I played with lots of different tips and still kind of do, but once I played with it, I can't get away from it now. in regards to the other stuff, well I have opinions but I like to keep my post short. Will post other things later. Also, when tipping I found the Willards tipping tool the most helpful. I tried some of the other ones but this just made it easy.