PDA

View Full Version : Dementia

nhp
09-02-2005, 05:46 PM
My father is 83 and he suffers from severe short term memory loss. His long term memory is starting to become affected now too. The last time he drove a vehicle was about 4 years ago, he drove a few blocks away to the supermarket and became disoriented and got lost for 5 hours. Ever since then he still thinks that he can drive and we have to hide the car keys from him or else he might run off with the car. His memory is so bad that he forgets what he did 10 minutes ago. He also has severe PTSD from WWII. Today I was the only one home with him and my car keys were in top of my drawer in my room. I came out of the shower and my father was gone and so was my car. Took me about 3 hours to find him, I'm just glad that he's home safe. Has anyone else ever lived with or known anyone who suffers from this? It's quite devastating.

Candyman
09-02-2005, 06:28 PM
My wifes brother has full blown alzhemiers. It started out as demensia. He is 61. He has been living with us for 2 years now. He can remember the past okay but his short term memory is like your dads. It may not be quite as bad. He takes walks around the neighbor hood with no problem. He lost his false teeth last week and we found them three days later. The were still in his mouth, but he swore they were not. It is a devestating disease.

9 Ball Girl
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
My Grandma has full blown alzhemiers. I was her favorite granddaughter and now she doesn't even recognize me. It started out as dimentia a whiles back but no one really paid attention to some of her ramblings because it was chalked off as old age. My Grandma is being taken cared of by my aunt. We don't really believe in putting loved ones in a home. My grandma also has a tendency to mix up her childhood with the present, for instance she'll talk about the mules that are around the corner from where they live.

My grandmother raised her 7 kids the best way that she could. Now it's their turn to take care of her. Alzhiemers is a progressive disease and unfortunately, there is no cure. My Grandma is knocking on Heaven's door.

dg-in-centralpa
09-03-2005, 06:30 AM
I also havew a close friend who is the same way. He is in his early 80's. He can play pinochle fairly well but forgets my mothers name, who he has known for 50 years. He also gets lost while driving. Unfortunately, we can't take his keys away.

DG - not sure what to do