PDA

View Full Version : A national disgrace

rukiddingme
09-03-2005, 03:35 AM
I am so disgusted with our government I can't even describe the extent of it.
As I watch the pictures of the events unfolding in Mew Orleans, the desperation of the people there begging for water, begging to be rescued from their rooftops, I am reminded of scenes from a third world nation.
The fact is that in this country there are the haves and the have nots...the rich, the dissapearing middle class and
the poor.
While we are trying to build a "democratic Iraq" we are ever and again ignoring the plight of many families here in the US. This has never been so evident as we watch the scenes unfold in New Orleans.
Poor people were unable to evacuate New Orleans when "the" storm hit. No plans were in place to evacuate them and no plans were in place to deal with the aftermath.
FIVE days after the storm hit people have not received food and water. We can show live pictures of these people waving off of their rooftops, others wading in chest high waste, others standing in line at our nation's Superdome but we are unable to airdrop basic supplies.
The consequences of a category 5 storm on New Orleans were KNOWN for YEARS.
What a shame and what a disgrace.
I live in Chicago, and if some FORECASTED disaster happened here the results would not be much different. The poors' third world country status would be witnessed by the rest of the world.... just like in New Orleans.
What a shame and what a disgrace.
ruk
(no flag waving happening here)

dg-in-centralpa
09-03-2005, 06:26 AM
I agree that the gov't might have been a little slow, but why were the residents shooting at the choppers bringing supplies? Why were the locals shooting at a hospital that was trying to evacuate the patients? This isn't frustration, these peopleare plain nuts. Looting for food, I understand, but not guns or anything else. Unfortunately the media is showing only the worst parts. I heard a report where people were being helped. Where do you start when over a million people are out of food, water,electric, and a place to sleep. What's top priority? I don't know. You can't help a million at one time. They also need to try and help themselves. I sympathize with the local people plus the local,state, and federal gov't.

DG

Cueless Joey
09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
This is really disgusting.
The Bush administration and Bush himself has lost my support.
I can't defend him anymore.
We've spent 200 billion plus in Iraq fighting for "freedom" while our borders aren't secure and we are helpless against a disaster.
Maybe, he should resign and let someone else manage this country. I don't remember us being this bad ever.

Sid_Vicious
09-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Any and I stress ANY and ALL other presidents we've had in this country would not have hesitated like Bush did. It is inexcusable and criminal FAR DAMN more than the bushistes want to pounce on Clinton for his BJ and lying. At some time y'all need to grow a conciounce,,,people suffered and died as he did his usual f'ing routine as our so called leader. I and utterly embarrassed, as the rest of the world indicates as well. It is sickening, plain and simple...sid

eg8r
09-06-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poor people were unable to evacuate New Orleans when "the" storm hit. No plans were in place to evacuate them and no plans were in place to deal with the aftermath.
<hr /></blockquote> This is true of the whole world, not just our Government. I know it gets old, but where in the Constitution does it command the government to put plans in place for the poor. If those plans are there, does it discriminate by social classes? What about the middle class that could not afford to evacuate because they charged themselves into so much debt that they live week to week?

Why should the government help those that don't help themselves?

eg8r

eg8r
09-06-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really disgusting.
The Bush administration and Bush himself has lost my support.
<hr /></blockquote> I can totally understand. I really feel all of this has been handled very poorly and so SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW. It has been handled poorly from bottom to top. Why is the New Orleans Mayor cussing on TV at the Army Corps of Engineers when he could be out in a boat freeing people from their attics? Why isn't Bush on TV talking about all the help that is on the way? These questions could go on forever, everything has been handled poorly.

eg8r

DickLeonard
09-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Eg8r, The Army Corp of Engineers is to blame but the real culprit is the Insurance Co. that unerwrites the Flood Insurance. How can any Co. underwrite the policy and never make the Engineers strengthen the levee system that has been there for two hundred years.

Maybe it is the collusion between the Gov and the Ins Co that underwrites the policy. If they rattle the chain they would lose the their hold on their co. unerwriting Flood Ins. Again the people lose and Corporate America wins until they pay this Bill. Yet we the people [US Gov.] are pouring money into the problem.

As I have pointed out before Major League Baseball rejected G.W.Bush for Commish. They knew something that America din't know, that we are nowing finding out.####&gt;

Voodoo Daddy
09-06-2005, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Eg8r, The Army Corp of Engineers is to blame but the real culprit is the Insurance Co. that unerwrites the Flood Insurance. How can any Co. underwrite the policy and never make the Engineers strengthen the levee system that has been there for two hundred years.

Maybe it is the collusion between the Gov and the Ins Co that underwrites the policy. If they rattle the chain they would lose the their hold on their co. unerwriting Flood Ins. Again the people lose and Corporate America wins until they pay this Bill. Yet we the people [US Gov.] are pouring money into the problem.

As I have pointed out before Major League Baseball rejected G.W.Bush for Commish. They knew something that America din't know, that we are nowing finding out.####&gt; <hr /></blockquote>

###, I think it starts at the local governemnt level and rises upward towards D.C.. They have had 40 years to prepare for this, used all the tax dollars recieved to do ANYTHING but revamp an obvious obsolete system and now they reach out like they didnt know it was coming. There should be some politicians from the local level all the way up to U.S.Government level politicians put to the wall for a good old fashion stoning or hanging from a short rope. How can they slep at night or face their residents knowing gawd damn good and well they LEFT millions in harms way...pisses me off for sure!!

DickLeonard
09-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Eg8r. I can no longer listen to this crap, where in the Constitution does it say that the Gov. should take care of the poor. Some where is says that all men are created equal except the Blacks they are our slaves.

When Lincoln set them free after 200 years of building the South for nothing. There was no reparation by this country for their years of enslavement, just now your free, then it took another 100 years till LBJ signed the Equal Rights Amendment.

If they were paid what they were owed, they would now be the upperclass and it would be the poor whites.

I still think that all blacks who can trace their ancestory back to slavery have a class action suit against this country. ####

DickLeonard
09-06-2005, 06:51 AM
VoodooDaddy, I agree totally but in this country we send the poor to jail while the connected keep dancing. Wait till they do the 911 report on this horror story. Mother Nature will be the guilty party.####

PoolFool
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Info from Associated Press and the 3 major news chanels:
There was a writtten evacuation plan for New Orleans that used city and school busses to evacuate the poor and sick. It was not used by the mayor. The govenor of LA did not request federal assistance until Wednesday (the problems started for New Orleans on Tues) and would not relinquish her control over the LA National Guard. A law of 1878 prevents the use of other states National Guard or federal troops in a state unless requested by the governor.
The Super Dome was used as refuge of last resort but did not have back up supplies or generators. FEMA did not anticapate the magnatude of the damage and were not prepared. A lot of things should have been done differently but if the local and state government had followed the inplace plans, there would have been fewer lives lost.

PoolFool

ceebee
09-06-2005, 08:14 AM
The federal &amp; state government's actions, toward easing the pain of the victims in New Orleans, is a carbon copy of their actions or workings in every city &amp; state, toward any problem that needs getting done. That is what they do. If a $100 is donated, less than $20 goes toward fixing the problem. Everyone of the bureaucrats have to get their piece of the pie, before passing the buck or what's left of the buck. Members of Government are there to get rich, that is their heritage or so they believe.

The government is not interested in securing the borders. Their business buddies (donators at election time) need cheap labor to do work. If there wasn't any cheap labor around, the companies would have to pay a higher wage in order to do business. Heaven forbid they should have to pay a fair wage.

The government of the USA &amp; other countries too, are in the business of wiping out the middle class. The THIRD WORLD ORDER is all about the top &amp; the bottom, no middle class.

Dubya isn't presidential material, he's just some hot shot rich kid weilding power. Dubya is probably the worst public speaker in the government. You can hear his roots, when he speaks, he's really a hick kid. Dubya has never had a job, now you know why he can't do a job. Dubya &amp; his followers could not invent America, during the rest of their lives.

Capitol Hill is elected by the people, so the tally of the voting machines says. They receive a nice 6 figure income &amp; pay not one red cent towards their expenses, while they are in office. They collectively pass laws to give them excellent medical coverage for the rest of their lives. They have a hefty life insurance benefit for their families, should they ever die. They have excellent visual &amp; dental coverage as well. They are taking care of themselves with the taxpayer's money.

Now, what do they give back. They only work part of the year &amp; sometimes they don't report for work during the hours set aside for work. They blame the other side of the aisle for all the problems. They pat themselves on the back when something good happens. They write hot checks, screw around with the help, conspire with private business &amp; foreign governments. They invented Fraud, Waste &amp; Abuse. They do allow some medical benefits for some citizens of this country, in a program called Medicare, however that program is really designed for the medical field to scam the taxpayers too.

If you expect the government to take care of it's citizens, look back in history to see if you can find one.... Our government is only upgraded in one direction &amp; that direction has nothing to do with the citizenry.

Rich R.
09-06-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> This is true of the whole world, not just our Government. I know it gets old, but where in the Constitution does it command the government to put plans in place for the poor. If those plans are there, does it discriminate by social classes? What about the middle class that could not afford to evacuate because they charged themselves into so much debt that they live week to week?

Why should the government help those that don't help themselves? <hr /></blockquote>
Your compassion is overwhelming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just hope, for your sake, you never find yourself in a situation like that. You may think you can handle it, but I can tell you, you can't do it alone.

Rich R.
09-06-2005, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> but the real culprit is the Insurance Co. that unerwrites the Flood Insurance. How can any Co. underwrite the policy and never make the Engineers strengthen the levee system that has been there for two hundred years.<hr /></blockquote>
Dick, I have to disagree with you, on this point.
We are talking about a city, that lies at a lower level than the Gulf and a lake that border it. It is amazing to me, that they can even get insurance, regardless of the levy system.

Also, I don't believe the insurance companies have any direct influence over the Army Corp of Engineers, who would be in charge of building an improved levy system. That responsibility falls back onto the shoulders of the politicians. Any influence the insurance companies would have would be indirect. If they stopped insuring property in New Orleans. Then, maybe, the polititians would ear mark the money necessary to improve the levy system.

BTW, if I understood the people on TV properly, it was not the levy system that failed. It was a sea wall, along a canal, that failed. It was not designed for a catagory 4+ hurricane. However, at this point, what failed, is not too important.

eg8r
09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As I have pointed out before Major League Baseball rejected G.W.Bush for Commish. They knew something that America din't know, that we are nowing finding out.####&gt; <hr /></blockquote> I followed your reply along just fine until this paragraph. All the problems that you have stated have been going on long before W was in power yet you give him the blame. With everything else going on during his Presidency, if he would have stopped everything to foce the ACOE to fix the damn, you would be damning him for doing it. It is a no win situation and any time something goes wrong you point fingers at W.

Besides all of that you missed the point...Why isn't the guy out helping people instead of looking like a fool yelling on TV. What has he done to help the people of New Orleans. A month or so ago he basically told the people of New Orleans that if a Hurricane came and they did not leave the area, then they are on their own. He did not offer any help to those who would not be able to leave (physically or financially), he told them they had been warned.

eg8r

eg8r
09-06-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your compassion is overwhelming.

I just hope, for your sake, you never find yourself in a situation like that. You may think you can handle it, but I can tell you, you can't do it alone. <hr /></blockquote> I really don't care what you think. The post is not about me or my compassion. It is about people believing the Government should solve all your problems. When will your sarcastic, snide remarks ever focus on the subject instead of the poster? Are you capable of discussing the subject instead of acting like a juvenile and shooting the messenger?

It might be time for you and others to wake up and smell the coffee. The government's job is not to take care of you. If you don't do the things you can to help yourself why should anyone else.

eg8r

eg8r
09-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree, but somehow the left is continuing to blame this on W. They don't like the facts. W offered help to the governor, and she said lets wait 24 hours to see what happens.

eg8r

eg8r
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r. I can no longer listen to this crap, where in the Constitution does it say that the Gov. should take care of the poor. Some where is says that all men are created equal except the Blacks they are our slaves. <hr /></blockquote> I really don't care what you can and cannot any longer listen to. That is your problem. The Constitution is everyone else's problem. What gets old is the left continually trying to rewrite it.

This is not about blacks so don't change the subject.

eg8r

Rich R.
09-06-2005, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I really don't care what you think.
<font color="red">I didn't say you did or should. </font color>

The post is not about me or my compassion.

<font color="red"> This is a forum for discussion. You do not get to dictate what I say, just as I do not dictate what you say.
You made a comment and I made a comment concerning your comment. Whether you like it or not, we are all equal here.</font color>

It is about people believing the Government should solve all your problems. When will your sarcastic, snide remarks ever focus on the subject instead of the poster? Are you capable of discussing the subject instead of acting like a juvenile and shooting the messenger?

<font color="red"> I made no sarcastic or snide remarks. I expressed the true feelings I got from your comments. Since I do not know you personally, I could be wrong, but you have yet to prove it. </font color>

It might be time for you and others to wake up and smell the coffee. The government's job is not to take care of you. If you don't do the things you can to help yourself why should anyone else. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> I don't expect government officials to take care of me. However, I do pay taxes, as almost everyone else in this country. We elect government officials and pay their salaries. In return, we expect a certain amount of responsible leadership during a crisis situation. I do not believe this is too much to ask.

There is plenty of blame to go around, all the way from the citizens who refused to leave the area, to the idiots who were shooting at the people trying to help, and at all levels of government right to the top.

It seems to me, you are the juvinile one who continually refuses to discuss things, in an open forum, without telling everyone they are off topic, as soon as they say something you do not like. </font color>

eg8r
09-06-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do not get to dictate what I say, just as I do not dictate what you say.
You made a comment and I made a comment concerning your comment. Whether you like it or not, we are all equal here.
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, I am not dictating anything, go read the post this time. Even the quote you provided was not an example of me dictating anything. What you did quote was an example of me trying to tell you the subject of the post, it was quite evident you ignore it, avoided it, or had nothing useful to say about it. You pick, I really don't care. All you do is argue every time you reply to me. You offer little to nothing as far as substance, and you now are branching off the subject. Do what you would like, I would hate for you to feel as I though I am dictating this to you, but by all means, do what you want.

[ QUOTE ]
I made no sarcastic or snide remarks. I expressed the true feelings I got from your comments. Since I do not know you personally, I could be wrong, but you have yet to prove it.
<hr /></blockquote> This is exactly how your post comes across. Since I don't know you, I could be wrong, but you have to prove it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In return, we expect a certain amount of responsible leadership during a crisis situation. I do not believe this is too much to ask.
<hr /></blockquote> Who said it was too much to ask? Leadership, is not making sure the poor find their way every time danger looms ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
There is plenty of blame to go around, all the way from the citizens who refused to leave the area, to the idiots who were shooting at the people trying to help, and at all levels of government right to the top.
<hr /></blockquote> I agree, I have said the same thing in another post.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me, you are the juvinile one who continually refuses to discuss things, in an open forum, without telling everyone they are off topic, as soon as they say something you do not like <hr /></blockquote> There you go, you answered it for youself. If you cannot keep to the topic, then make another thread and we can discuss. Until then, you are correct, when you are off topic I have no desire to discuss. There must be some reason why you choose to discuss something off topic, but I guess we will let you keep that to yourself.

eg8r

CarolNYC
09-07-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am so disgusted with our government I can't even describe the extent of it.
As I watch the pictures of the events unfolding in Mew Orleans, the desperation of the people there begging for water, begging to be rescued from their rooftops<hr /></blockquote>

You can blame whoever you want, but the fact-of-the matter is, the harm is already done!
I think New Orleans was in sad shape to begin with-alot of elderly,poor and sick-I cannot imagine to choose to stay with my house over my life-they sent buses down AFTER the hurricane hit-they should've sent them down BEFORE and evacuated everyone-those who chose to stay,well, thats their choice-and who was shooting? Why did their police force quit? One news broadcast showed a guy taking a t.v. out of a store,like, where are you going with that? And why rob the bank?This city was in bad shape!
I'll tell ya what-if a category 5 hurricane was forecasted to hit my hometown, I woulda been outta here in a heartbeat!
The photos of the children.elderly and dead floating around is outrageous-something should've been done BEFORE it hit!
Carol~donated what she could /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2005, 05:48 AM
AFTER, BEFORE, AFTER...Carol it "was what it was" when those people were without any help for days, a REAL TIME need for help, and it didn't matter at that point how they got in that predicament. The fact is that IMO from what I've heard from other's living in coastal cities, you are going to always have die hards staying for the hurricanes, many even GO THERE for parties, dumb but real. So we had the worst event in our history, those people were in dire straits in REAL time, and our leader in the Whitehouse was days in his movement, a nation with a lame leader, so the scene got much worse than it needed to get to. My point is that once it happened that it was the moral responsibility of the nations elected officials to immediately help those in peril. As far as the shooting, "a few bad apples" can't be seen as nullifying the masses who did not grab a gun. I had a brief discussion with a guy yesterday, "Bush man", and all he could do was spew Democrats this and Democrats that, and I thought, "What an idiot, people dying in real time and he's political." As God is my witness, I would have grilled any president who handled this this as poorly as Bush did by his hesitance in getting to the problem.

So all of the "before and afters" mean nothing to me when the real time events which unfolded was killing many more people than necessary. The local officials carry much of the blame but did Louisiana have helicopters to deliver water and rescue? The Feds were in charge of that, and they did a piss poor response, disgrace is a deficient word for it all concerning the needed response. Sid

eg8r
09-07-2005, 05:50 AM
I agree with you Carol. There should have been much more done prior to the storm. How many years have they known the levees could not handle a big storm? They did little.

There is a lady that I work with who has family that lived through the tsunami a year or so ago. She mentioned that her family and most of the people in that area did what they could to help each other out. Then she sees on TV how the people of NO were acting. Pretty appalling.

eg8r

eg8r
09-07-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that once it happened that it was the moral responsibility of the nations elected officials to immediately help those in peril. <hr /></blockquote> This is not really a die-hard defense of the Federal Gov't but are you aware that the Federal government cannot do anything until the state requested the aid? Bush offered help, and the governor turned it down asking to wait 24 hours. The majority of your blame is on W and it makes no sense when there are plenty more people who have greater degrees of fault for what has happened after the storm.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
09-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I saw on the news a couple of nights ago that 2 police officers committed suicide. What's that about? People shooting at rescuers--I just don't get it or maybe I'm in my Ding Dong mode again.

WTF are people looting for? Those are just a$$holes that are taken advantage of the disadvantaged. I don't understand.

The levee should've been enforced years ago. Why is it that something extreme has to happen for people to open their eyes?

I can't bear to see the images of the dead floating in waters, especially children. Images like that for some reason get forever burned into my head. It's bad enough that everytime I log in to AOL the first thing I see is devestation. Sigh.

Wendy&lt;---donated what I could too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Carol,
N.O. had around 2000 school buses they could have used to evacuate before the storm but the mayor didn't give the word to use them.

DG - as much blame belongs on the mayor and governor

CarolNYC
09-07-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as much blame belongs on the mayor and governor <hr /></blockquote>
Yep Duane!
I feel they had no idea what they were in for and no plan!
Carol

CarolNYC
09-07-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF are people looting for? Those are just a$$holes that are taken advantage of the disadvantaged. I don't understand.

The levee should've been enforced years ago. Why is it that something extreme has to happen for people to open their eyes?
<hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely agree with ya,Wendy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
EXACTLY,Eg8r,
By the way, how are you?
[ QUOTE ]
most of the people in that area did what they could to help each other <hr /></blockquote>
Thats what Im talking about-how many times has Florida been hit=I've never seen shooting,looting or nonsense during a devastation, but what I have seen is the Florida people preparing and then afterward,everyone is out there helping!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it didn't matter at that point how they got in that predicament <hr /></blockquote>
Hi Sid,
I think it does matter how they got there cause they put themselves in the predicament-they knew way before what was coming and decided to do nothing or just didnt know what to do-believe me, I understand what your saying as far as the time it took for help to arrive, but it could have been prevented if someone made some kind of decision to save their own people and get them the hell out of there!I guess the mayor,or whoever! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the shooting, "a few bad apples" can't be seen as nullifying the masses who did not grab a gun <hr /></blockquote>
Let me ask you this, you live in Texas? You carry guns? If you were waiting for rescue/help and someone in the crowd shot at them, what would YOU as the people,do?Wouldnt you take them down?Their own police force quit-I just dont understand that!Were the people so unruly/chaotic that no one had control-thats ridiculous-and the blame is "the Hurricane"-mother nature!
Also, any ablebodied,healthy person should be out there helping/searching or whatever!
I dont know, maybe we'll talk more when my brother returns and gives me the real lowdown-but I do truly feel for those people! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Take care!
Carol

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
My point is! once it happened and those people were in peril, it was absolutely the job of those hired to protect and serve to quickly help. Everything before and after is irrelevant. You don't make a wrong right by standing on a soapbox at that time, and doing such a dismal job as this country's leadership did was deplorable, plain and simple. An ugly, ugly reality and disgraceful to even criticize the whys as far as the measure of people remaining ahead of the levees breaking. Real time Carol, that is what those without an adequate response had to deal with. Y'all seem to be punishing these people while they are down, when it should be a lesson to learn for fixing a sucky governmental system of rescue and support during the crap once it happened...sid

CarolNYC
09-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey Sid,
[ QUOTE ]
it was absolutely the job of those hired to protect and serve to quickly help. <hr /></blockquote>
I agree!

[ QUOTE ]
a lesson to learn for fixing a sucky governmental system of rescue and support during the crap once it happened<hr /></blockquote>

Not only rescue/support,but I think what scares me most is prevention-apparently there is none,even when we know its coming-like you &amp;Wendy say,it takes many lives before anythings done and thats a damn shame!
I've always said I love the southern acent,anything south-to me it was "Gone with the Wind"big homes,slower paced /easy living and I guess Im just angry/saddened that my image is actually gone-with-the wind /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
But reality-like you said, nows the time to do something!
Talk to you soon!
Carol

CarolNYC
09-08-2005, 02:11 AM
One more thng-they got 3 more hurricanes/tropical storms coming-if anyone needs a room, I got one!
Carol~unbelievable!

eg8r
09-08-2005, 04:31 AM
I am doing great. Monday was my daughter's first birthday, so this past weekend was exciting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what Im talking about-how many times has Florida been hit=I've never seen shooting,looting or nonsense during a devastation, but what I have seen is the Florida people preparing and then afterward,everyone is out there helping!
<hr /></blockquote> Right before the first Hurricane hit last year our chief of police went on TV and put the public on notice. He had some catchy phrase that he kept repeating, "If you loot, we will shoot". The chief is a no-nonsense kind of guy and everyone around here believed him (even if there were no intentions to loot).

I think another difference is that immeadiately after the storm hit Jeb Bush was out helping and doing everything he could. The governor of LA did nothing. I have saw pictures of a parking lot in NO that was full of buses and they were all half covered in water. The school system buses more kids each day than the amount of people stuck in the dome, why didn't they bus those people out of there?

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
09-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Still to this day, I'm hearing that there are people who are refusing to be rescued. The majority are older folks and isn't it becoming dangerous for them to be in their homes at night now that there are a$$holes doing a$$hole things? Aside from that, they're saying that they shouldn't even let the water touch their skins because of all of the bacteria in it (supposedly 10 times over the bacteria limit-whatever that may be) plus the bodies that are decomposing in it. The smell is also beginning to get rancid. The images that I've seen of what it looks like down there really bothers me. I watch the Spanish stations for news and they are more descriptive and explicit than the American channels. I think I'm going to skip watching the news for a while.

They've started to pump out the water, I think, but it's going back into the lake so I guess that means that this water will no longer be fishable or no one will be able to wade in it like so many do in lakes.

Last night I left work a couple of hours early and went to New York's Lincoln Center and helped pack a couple of 18 wheelers full of clothes and supplies for those in need in NO. We had to sort through adult and childrens clothes as well as shoes, pack 'em up, and make them ready to be shipped. It was hot and one helluva workout. But doing this makes me feel like I know I did something to help vs sending a check and not knowing where it's going (besides, I'm kind of strapped for cash right now).

DickLeonard
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Eg8r, We the people now know that it has been change to we the Corporations in order to control everything we do everything in its power to seek and rape this country of all its assets. We will bribe everyone we have to,to gain what is rightfully ours.

Proof one who in the world would ever put up 200 million dollars to have an idiot from Texas run for president. Remember Bill Clinton's IQ was higher than both the Bush's.

Proof two we send poor people to jail for stealing a car and Ken Lay is still walking around just because he spent many days in the White House trying to figure out how to screw the people of California on their energy costs by rerouting their supply through the state of Washington.

Proof three we can go to war with Iraq because defense contractors can make billions[Haliburton] but sending relief to our own people there is no profit to be made.

Eg8r I am getting sick of debating the same thing over and over. I am turning into a brick,end of it.####

stickman
09-08-2005, 09:46 PM
There's lot's of blame that could be spread. Why didn't more evacuate? Why didn't the mayor and governor do more to prevent the disaster? It appeared that the Federal goverment was somewhat slow in responding also. To me, there is blame to be spread fairly evenly. Here's another national disgrace: Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head............

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get
is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started
an organization asking for the same deal that the
September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own U.S. Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month..

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and dughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this?"

stickman
09-08-2005, 09:48 PM
There's lot's of blame that could be spread. Why didn't more evacuate? Why didn't the mayor and governor do more to prevent the disaster? It appeared that the Federal goverment was somewhat slow in responding also. To me, there is blame to be spread fairly evenly.

Here's another national disgrace: Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head............

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get
is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own U.S. Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month..

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and dughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this?"

onepocketfanatic
09-09-2005, 12:56 AM
To be honest I can't stand Rush, but you gotta agree with what he said. Our elected officials are for the most part, a bunch of self serving scum bags. They are only interested in what will get them reelected, so they can continue to make huge sums of money. They think I am stupid enough to believe them when they tell me that they voted on a certain bill that has direct impact on someone that gave them millions, but "the fact that so and so gave me this money had no bearing on my vote". You steal a loaf of bread and do thirty years, but if you bilk thousands of people out of millions of $, you get a little time in a federal resort minimum security prison (if you are convicted since most laws to prevent "white collar crimes" are wishy washy at best).
With regard to the NO fiasco, I believe that the mayor, and the governor of the state should be hung out to dry by their total lack of action. From what I have heard there was an evacuation plan in place,but not followed. In addition, by the time they figured out the city needed to be evacuated, there was not enough time to get the people out. It was a total FUBAR by the mayor and governor.
AS to the federal response, it was also very poor. Who is this guy (Brown) running FEMA? Is he qualified (any prior experience running this kind of operation), or is he just one of Bush's buds that helped him get elected? My guess is he has had no experience running any kind of emergency response organization from what I have seen so far. This goes back to my original statement, that our elected officials are scum bags (including the ones in the executive branch).
As of this writing about the only elected official in Washington I have any respect for is the senator from Arizona. John M. tells it like it is for the most part, without calling anyone "liberal, right winger", or any of the other cute (but really stupid and idiotic) catch phrases that most people are so fond of using these days.

CarolNYC
09-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Hey Stickman,
How are you?
I'd just like to say ONE thing on this,them Im out on the road for a few days:
[ QUOTE ]
I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. <hr /></blockquote>

Its a shame what our military gets paid, but thats what they are-the military-armed,trained and ready to fight and die for our country!

The people of 9/11 were women,children-CIVILIANS !!!!!

Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
09-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Well,Eg8r,
Happy first birthday to your daughter!
Enjoy her every day-the time goes by so fast!
Oh,and I like that "if you loot,we shoot!"

Have a wonderful day /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

stickman
09-09-2005, 04:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketfanatic:</font><hr> To be honest I can't stand Rush.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, me too, but when he's right, he's right.

Jim

Gayle in MD
09-09-2005, 06:19 AM
I couldn't agree more. Regardless of the Mayor and Governor, who were both there, working to help in the immediate days following landfall, BTW, we still have a President whose appointments to FEMA and HOME LAND Sec., we now know, have had absolutely no experience in disaster relief.

Bush's people seem to be unable to organize anything. Just like Iraq, no exit plan, and failure to anticipate the magnitude of the problem.

He could fly home from vacation to save one brain dead woman, and rack up some points from the religious right, but it took him days to get to the coast, or to step in to save thousands with no food or water? He wasn't even there LOOKING! His mother and father, on television, practically forbidding the American people to scrutinize his ineptness. Resmuglicans in the Senate and Congress, already working to set up an investigation that will basically be a mock investigation, designed to cover up the failures of Bush appointees.

The deficit climbing, while millionaires enjoy quarter of a million dollars in annual tax relief, as the poverty strickened in this country struggle for food for their kids, and the national deficit soars. His Mother actually suggested that those evacuees in the Texas facility had gotten a step up from their usual normal living conditions.

La. has been trying to get funding to fix their coastal problems, restore the marsh and raise the land levels for YEARS, but the Bush administration has done nothing, while they build roads in Alaska that go no where.

How anyone can support this total idiot is beyond me. Rumor has it that his appointee to FEMA was the same guy who cleaned up Bushes service Records.

All those responsible Resmuglicans on the news forbidding any investigations into the failure which cost the lives of thousands, "This is no time for looking back, we must not be distracted from the important work ahead." RIGHT! If this isn't the time to investigate their ineptness, what is?
This is the worst President ever. Iraq is a mess, the war pofiteering over there is a disgrace, the economy is a mess, the deficit is a mess, educational system broken, borders are unprotected, the oil situation is a mess, and he takes a month long vacation????

Gayle in Md.
Where is Osama?

SnakebyteXX
09-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Mark Fiore - Flash Movie:

The Carinval of Ineptitude

Whoopsie Gras! (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/09/07/fioregras.DTL)

Gayle in MD
09-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks, it's all so true, too true to even muster a laugh about it. Bush should be impeached, or jailed for life, or both.
Gayle in Md.

hondo
09-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Good post. Attaboy, Rush, he's finally made a little
sense.

Gayle in MD
09-09-2005, 12:20 PM
You neglect to mention that George Bush lumped FEMA in with Homeland Security, a decision which created the missive beaurocracy muddle which was the major factor in not being ready and able to handle this national disaster.

Also, five of the eight top people in FEMA which BUSH appointed, had NO...NO experience in disaster relief. Those jobs were political payoffs from the Bush Campaign, and more of his inept College cronies. Now the resmuglicans want to have charge of the investigation, so that they can twart any efforts to shine a light on the one man in this country who is responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths, in Iraq, and in our own Gulf shores, due to his total incompetence, and the incompetence of all those to whom he has given authority. Even Colin Powell, now admits that his address to the United Nations was a black mark on his whole carreer. (See this interview tonight on 20/20)

While surely the Governor and the Mayor should have had an up-dated plan for evacuating the poverty strickened in that area, who had no money, or means to escape, for the most part, but they may not have been in their chronic state of poverty in the first place if George Bush hadn't been creating tax breaks for the rich, leaving the poverty strickened in this country behind in the dust for the last five years, while his corporate ceo's, and his oil buddies, and millionaires became richer and richer.

Bottom line, he f**ked this up like he f**ks up everything, from Iraq, to the tax mess, to the deficit, to the war with no end, and now, this national disaster. AND he still hasn't gotten bin Laden...

The Governor, out of desparation, has called in James Lee Whitt, former director of FEMA, a Clinton appointee who is and was an expert in disaster relief. Mr Whitt, testified before the Senate, this year, regarding the loss of experts from FEMA since George Bush put in place at the top people who were inexperienced, and basically forced those knowlegable experts out.

Mr. Whitt is known for his expertise, and it is said that he is expert in disaster relief because he cares about people. This could never be said about George Bush after this mess, except by smiling, nodding Laura, of course, and the koolaid drinking right wing resmuglicans.

Impeach Bush, its our only hope....
Gayle in Md.