PDA

View Full Version : The Knoxville Bear

JackJustis
09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I wanted to let all of you know that at 9:12 this morning at his home in
Bossier City with family and friends, Eddie Taylor passed away. It is
ironic that today is his previous wife, Vi's, birthday.
Arrangements are tentative at this point but we believe Thursday will be
his funeral. Will let you know.
If they never learned to bank balls in heaven, they better get ready for
the Knoxville Bear.

Jack

Barbara
09-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Jack,

That's sad to hear. Another Great One is gone.

Thanks for letting us know and my condolences to his family.

Barbara

cueball1950
09-05-2005, 09:02 AM
thanks for the information Jack. Another greta one has gone to play in heaven. Gonna have a heck of a ring game up there.................................mike

theinel
09-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Farewell Eddie. Great bankers never truly die they just keep on making all of our lives richer.

freddythebeard
09-08-2005, 04:03 AM
This is supposed to be a pool forum and there are only 3 threads regarding the death of Eddie Taylor? God help us all.
the Beard

Eric.
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote freddythebeard:</font><hr> This is supposed to be a pool forum and there are only 3 threads regarding the death of Eddie Taylor? God help us all.
the Beard
<hr /></blockquote>

Don't get discouraged. Most people, including me, never had the chance to play Eddie or even watch him in his prime. Because of that, most of us don't have anything meaningful to say about his life.

I've heard many stories about Eddie. The things that come to mind are that he was probably the best banker on the planet, past and present. Also, because of his banking ability, I heard he was very tough to beat in 1 hole too.

Personally, I'm glad to see you hanging around here. You, Freddy, are one of the last links to the thinning flock of past champions. I can only relate to the "new" generation of players. Great players like Efren and Mike Sigel, great bankers like Bugs and Piggy, etc. I love to hear about the old legends, from people that were actually there. I hope you spend some time here.

Eric &gt;great book, Freddy

BANKS77
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
There wasn't much in the ONEPOCKET.ORG forum on Eddie either. I heard his best years were in the 50s and early 60s, by 1970 he had lost much of his ability. Hey Freddie, who were the best bankers after Taylor, of course everyone knows Bugs but who else could bank some back then. I heard from your Chicago area that John Zaksas and Joey Gold could give you a good game back then.

freddythebeard
09-09-2005, 07:38 AM
There were plenty of good bankers, I'll probably leave a few out but guys that come to mind were John "Cannonball Lefty" Chapman, Truman Hogue, Gary Speith, Donny Anderson, Tough Tony Brewer, West Sid Johhny Boy, Howard The Coward. Zaksas played good but he ducked me for years. Now he can give me 10 to 8.
the Beard