PDA

View Full Version : squatting the rock

StormHotRod300
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Ok, i see pros, and most top notch players can crush a rack and stop the CB near the center of the table probably 75% or more of the time.

Now i can do this on a 7ft table no problem, but when i goto a 9ft table i find it almost impossible to use the same power on the break and still keep control of the CB.

when i play on a 9ft i normally break from the side rail, but lately have had to break from the Box, so i can control the CB better.

Now when i break from the Box, i normally use about 1/2 tip of high english to stop the CB close to the center of the table.

now when i go from the rail, if i hit center CB i seem to always go towards the side pocket. Which causes me to scratch alot. Now if i hit off the side rail i normally end up back in the middle.

So i am looking for help on what to do or try. when breaking from the side rail.

dave

thecardman
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
This may sound obvious or derogatory, but why not just keep breaking from the box? If you are getting good results from breaking near the centre of the table (you don't mention if you are getting many down off the break) then keep breaking from there! Why try to fix what ain't broke?

Also, IMHO, you are at an advantage if you can break from the centre of the table - you don't have to worry about re-adjusting your break if you are playing in a tournament where a break box is being employed.

Speaking of the break box (and this may sound like a dumb question) are there set dimentions for a break box?

Thanks

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ceebee
09-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Most Pros break well, but then again they are Pros. When they are not breaking well, they are generally not competing well. Hmmmm

Breaking on a 7ft Table & a 9ft Table foot are only different by app'x a foot of distance. The increase in accuracy requirements might be the critical feature here.

If you are breaking & the cue ball is bouncing away from the rack, towards the side pocket or in it, you are not hitting the lead ball in the rack, squarely.

Accuracy goes a long way in the break shot. A 6oz cue ball traveling at 20-25 mph has a lot of energy.

Pied Piper
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I have had a similar problem in the past and am now breaking behind the string aswell. What I noticed is when breaking from the side rail, and hitting center, you are hitting at a downward angle though very slight. I was getting a lot more jump than I wanted, I fixed the problem moving to the end rail and moving the cue ball out more so I can get a more level hit. Hope that helps.