PDA

View Full Version : Jump-break or jump cue

rphillips
09-07-2005, 07:11 AM
can anybody tell me what the difference between a jump-break cue and just a regular jump cue. I am looking to get a jump cue just dont know which one i should get and what i should look for when looking at these cues?

thanks

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Most all jump/break cues I've tried don't jump worth anything, but having said that, Jerry Powers makes a JB(Thumper is what I believe it's called)that is supreme in both modes and I'm fairly sure others are out there that jump and break efficiently. Bungee JB functions well also but I'd have to say that in general a good jumper by itself will out-do one derived from a JB. I have the two cues(jump and breaker) seperate. That's all I can add this early in the morning...sid

BigRigTom
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
A jump cue can be either 1 or 2 piece and is usually much shorter than a regular cue..most are pretty light too with a very hard tip.
A jump/break cue is usually a 3 piece cue that breaks down in 2 different places.
I have the Scorpion Break Jump Cue (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/scorbreakjum.html) and I liked it a lot from the first moment I broke with it. I then had the tip replaced with a phenolic tip and it now breaks like a cannon, it is absolutely unbelievable how much better it made that cue!
I am still learning to jump so I can't really brag too much about it's capabilities there but from what little I do know about jumping it works good...I just need a lot more practice to be able to control my jumps.

theinel
09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
rphillips,

I haven't tried all of the cues on the market but I have tried many and with a few exceptions a Jump cue (one specifically for jumping) is superior to a Jump/Break at jumping. The characteristics of a cue that make it good for jumping are a thick shaft, light weight, and hard tip. Short length also helps but not as much as the others except for helping with the weight reduction.

The two JBs I have used that do jump very well are the Sledgehammer (by Mike Gulyassy/McDermott) and the Stinger (and Thumper variant) by Tom Simpson (actually made by Jerry Powers of Jerico Cues). They both have phenolic (very hard material) tips and I think that that is why they do jump well without the thicker shaft that most Jump cues have. Both are quite expensive in comparison to say a Bunjee but they are excellent at both breaking and jumping and are well worth the money if you can spare it.

ARJ
09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
For what it's worth I've got a Cuetec J/B and a Kangaroo jumper. No matter what kind of tip I put on the Cuetec it NEVER could get me the action that my jumper gets.

AR J

pooltchr
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I use a Fury jump break with the one piece tip/ferrule combination. I have found it to be very good for both breaking and jumping. In fact, as a jump cue, it seems to work better for me than the bungee that I used to use.
Steve

ARJ
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Coming from the guy that taught me to jump /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AR J

woody_968
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> rphillips,

I haven't tried all of the cues on the market but I have tried many and with a few exceptions a Jump cue (one specifically for jumping) is superior to a Jump/Break at jumping. <hr /></blockquote>

I have always said the same thing. Although I just got a Fury jump/break and have to say that so far I am VERY impressed with this cue. I figured I would keep my lucasi jump cue in the bag for close jumps but after messing with the Fury just a little bit tonight (just got it today) I was getting over full balls just a ball width away. And I like the way it breaks. This may be one of the best buys on the market right now.

Woody

pooltchr
09-09-2005, 05:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ARJ:</font><hr> Coming from the guy that taught me to jump /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AR J <hr /></blockquote>
In less than 5 minutes, IIRC, and with a player who was convinced he wouldn't be able to do it!

By the way...glad to see you're back.
Steve